I went from working 6 days a week to working 3 days a week just under 18 months ago. We went through a revision and my duty got swallowed up. I have many years service in. Anyway, the lads that went for the 3 day week got to choose which 3 duties they would cover (a different duty every day to cover rest days), after a while all the part-timers had a meeting with the gaffer as we were getting messed around being asked to cover duties that weren't on our rotas. We did a re-pick and it was agreed that we wouldn't be asked to cover anything other than the duties we had agreed to, yeah yeah I hear you say..... Fast forward, the office was asked to absorb 1 duty during the summer and a full- timer came off his duty as it was central and the office absorbed it. Anyway, while I was on leave the full-timer went back on his own duty and another duty was chosen. The chosen duty is one where the holder has gone long term sick and it's one of the ones I cover. I was not consulted in any way about it. Last Saturday I was told I was to cover a duty I have done only once before and this Monday I was told I was on a different duty and I had to go out blind. Then today, they ask me to come off the one on my rota to do another different duty. That's 3 different duties over 3 days that I shouldn't have been on, oh I'm on another duty next Tuesday blind too. I explained to the manager on Saturday that I wasn't happy covering different walks and he said he would sort it for next week, of course he will

The manager called me in the office and said that he was asking me to cover today for 'operational needs' he explained that it was a reasonable request and if I refused I would be disciplined to which I disagreed and got up and walked out as I was fuming. They ended up getting another lad to cover today's walk. Our negotiator on the floor rang the union and they said I should not be asked to come off my rota. The thing is, as long as the duty holder stays off sick, I'm going to get messed around. Nothing more has been said from management.
Did I do the right thing by standing my ground? And will they have to find another duty to absorb?
P.s. If you read any of my previous posts, you'll understand why I hate this company so much and I'm no trouble maker at work, I get on with it and graft. Then go home to civilisation.