ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Adios Amigos
-
Dalelad
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Adios Amigos
Regrettably i've handed my notice in after almost a year n half. RM have forced my hand with their employment strategy going forward. With 9 new part timers starting soon and collections being included in walks, theres little to no chance of gaining much O/T to make my hours up. It is a shame as I enjoy the job and get on well with my colleagues but needs must. So I will start my new full time, permanent role as trainee bus driver with Stagecoach next Monday. It will be a tough few months learning to drive them and learning all the routes but at least theres a future in it. So to all you posties out there, I wish you all the best and I hope things improve. After all, it can't get any worse can it?! 
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Adios Amigos
Good luck - shame to lose someone with a positive attitude but RM don't really care about that :(
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
beezet
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Adios Amigos
Yeah good luck mate
,i feel sorry for our part timers, at the repick two were told they were to be made up to full time, now DOM has cut them to 30 hrs 
-
weary_posty
- Posts: 225
- Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Adios Amigos
Best of luck to you!
To be honest I can see more people doing the same. Royal mail are slowly adding more to our rounds and increasing the pressures of the job.
Morale in the office I work at is at an all time low. Why aren't we standing up for ourselves?
There really needs to be a national agreement between employees that we will not work over our time. Cut off and let the managers do their job and MANAGE the workload. Put the part timers on full time contracts! Have them appreciate that doing overtime is helping THEM out and not them doing US the favour.
Until the workforce adopts this attitude we will be stuck with too large jobs, lots of lapsing and a pressure to complete a job built to fail.
To be honest I can see more people doing the same. Royal mail are slowly adding more to our rounds and increasing the pressures of the job.
Morale in the office I work at is at an all time low. Why aren't we standing up for ourselves?
There really needs to be a national agreement between employees that we will not work over our time. Cut off and let the managers do their job and MANAGE the workload. Put the part timers on full time contracts! Have them appreciate that doing overtime is helping THEM out and not them doing US the favour.
Until the workforce adopts this attitude we will be stuck with too large jobs, lots of lapsing and a pressure to complete a job built to fail.
-
borgpicard
- Posts: 486
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Adios Amigos
Dalelad wrote:Regrettably i've handed my notice in after almost a year n half. RM have forced my hand with their employment strategy going forward. With 9 new part timers starting soon and collections being included in walks, theres little to no chance of gaining much O/T to make my hours up. It is a shame as I enjoy the job and get on well with my colleagues but needs must. So I will start my new full time, permanent role as trainee bus driver with Stagecoach next Monday. It will be a tough few months learning to drive them and learning all the routes but at least theres a future in it. So to all you posties out there, I wish you all the best and I hope things improve. After all, it can't get any worse can it?!
i was a coach driver, ( still got licence ), and gave up driving to be a postman, and you think RM is bad, wait till you start driving, and you hours are all over the place, and your duties and hours will change dailey
good luck in your new job
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Adios Amigos
I feel so sad about this
I know it is a really tough climate out there, but part-timers really do get the brunt of it. I was a part-timer for years doing different rounds everyday, often in a totally different part of town. Sometimes, i would fully prep one round and then be put on another duty by the gaffer. Bullying and harassment was rife back then as temps were used as canon fodder.
Before we had shared vans, we had to find our own way on to delivery. The managers gave us little or no training. Often you would spend ages just finding out where you needed to start!! lol Everything bonus related was pro rata as well. Some things have improved, but some things definantly haven't. For example, we seem to be out on deliveries twice as long than I seem to remember back then!! lol (but don't forget we work 5 days and not 6 now).
I know it is a really tough climate out there, but part-timers really do get the brunt of it. I was a part-timer for years doing different rounds everyday, often in a totally different part of town. Sometimes, i would fully prep one round and then be put on another duty by the gaffer. Bullying and harassment was rife back then as temps were used as canon fodder.
Before we had shared vans, we had to find our own way on to delivery. The managers gave us little or no training. Often you would spend ages just finding out where you needed to start!! lol Everything bonus related was pro rata as well. Some things have improved, but some things definantly haven't. For example, we seem to be out on deliveries twice as long than I seem to remember back then!! lol (but don't forget we work 5 days and not 6 now).
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
bluealbert
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Adios Amigos
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This good luck mateborgpicard wrote:Dalelad wrote:Regrettably i've handed my notice in after almost a year n half. RM have forced my hand with their employment strategy going forward. With 9 new part timers starting soon and collections being included in walks, theres little to no chance of gaining much O/T to make my hours up. It is a shame as I enjoy the job and get on well with my colleagues but needs must. So I will start my new full time, permanent role as trainee bus driver with Stagecoach next Monday. It will be a tough few months learning to drive them and learning all the routes but at least theres a future in it. So to all you posties out there, I wish you all the best and I hope things improve. After all, it can't get any worse can it?!
i was a coach driver, ( still got licence ), and gave up driving to be a postman, and you think RM is bad, wait till you start driving, and you hours are all over the place, and your duties and hours will change dailey
good luck in your new job
-
Dalelad
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Adios Amigos
Cheers for the messages guys. I am absolutely gutted to be leaving in all honesty. I would quite happily do this job til retirement(only 35), despite all of the carp we have to put up with on a daily basis. If I knew there was a future for me in this business, I would stay. But as i've stated in some of my previous posts, there hasn't been anybody made upto full time at my DO for over 10 years and i'm near the bottom of the pile in a big office. Its pretty grim. I'm just sat here trying to write my letter of resignation, wondering what to put!
Borgpickard, I know the hours are gunna be all over the place but i've done shift work in the past. My father-in-law has worked as a bus driver for Stagecoach for over 10 years and he says its money for old rope. I'm sure it will be quite a steep learning curve but i'm up for the challenge. I was in the interview for a good 40 - 50 minutes having a good chat with the manager about the career prospects there. She assured me that the future is bright for people who work hard and prove themselves. Alot of drivers go onto become inspectors(£26500 pa), cross country drivers, managers or inhouse driving instructors. Theres none of this seniority rubbish at Stagecoach either. Employees are judged on the commitment and aptitude, how it should be! Anyways, i'll give it a bash and see where it takes me.
Borgpickard, I know the hours are gunna be all over the place but i've done shift work in the past. My father-in-law has worked as a bus driver for Stagecoach for over 10 years and he says its money for old rope. I'm sure it will be quite a steep learning curve but i'm up for the challenge. I was in the interview for a good 40 - 50 minutes having a good chat with the manager about the career prospects there. She assured me that the future is bright for people who work hard and prove themselves. Alot of drivers go onto become inspectors(£26500 pa), cross country drivers, managers or inhouse driving instructors. Theres none of this seniority rubbish at Stagecoach either. Employees are judged on the commitment and aptitude, how it should be! Anyways, i'll give it a bash and see where it takes me.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Adios Amigos
as least you will know what to expect from your father in law. Royal Mail is not a good career option for ambitious people. Also I can't see a future in Royal Mail after 5 years more.
-
bluealbert
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Adios Amigos
Good luck mate,let us know how you get on please I've still got my licenceDalelad wrote:Cheers for the messages guys. I am absolutely gutted to be leaving in all honesty. I would quite happily do this job til retirement(only 35), despite all of the carp we have to put up with on a daily basis. If I knew there was a future for me in this business, I would stay. But as i've stated in some of my previous posts, there hasn't been anybody made upto full time at my DO for over 10 years and i'm near the bottom of the pile in a big office. Its pretty grim. I'm just sat here trying to write my letter of resignation, wondering what to put!
Borgpickard, I know the hours are gunna be all over the place but i've done shift work in the past. My father-in-law has worked as a bus driver for Stagecoach for over 10 years and he says its money for old rope. I'm sure it will be quite a steep learning curve but i'm up for the challenge. I was in the interview for a good 40 - 50 minutes having a good chat with the manager about the career prospects there. She assured me that the future is bright for people who work hard and prove themselves. Alot of drivers go onto become inspectors(£26500 pa), cross country drivers, managers or inhouse driving instructors. Theres none of this seniority rubbish at Stagecoach either. Employees are judged on the commitment and aptitude, how it should be! Anyways, i'll give it a bash and see where it takes me.