ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL?
-
stevo302
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 13:54
Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL?
In a nutshell, I only have 7 days ( a week in feb I can swap, and 2 odd days ) to play around with. One of the odd days has to go for a Monday not far from now.
Basically, I kinda need 2 separate week blocks and obviously 6 days won't cut that. I'm pretty much already at the state in this job that I'd quite frankly go sick/AWOL and hell with the consequences, but it would be nice to keep the job for at least another year.
I already take full paid for entitlement, and I doubt I could pay folk to work my shifts. The office is already too suicidal to consider such things. And obviously if I go around trying to make things work, the management will know what I want off, making sick a non option then.
So, just thought I'd ask people who know there stuff if there are any legit options? Or am I condemned to the skullduggery of going sick or something. An altogether risky strategy if you're not gonna be in the country. I'm sure there a folk that condemn my attitude about this, but I honestly think our holiday system is garbage. I've had around 4 weeks off this year I never wanted, early, so I could not swap them when something comes along that I want to do. That's why I'm in the predicament now.
Basically, I kinda need 2 separate week blocks and obviously 6 days won't cut that. I'm pretty much already at the state in this job that I'd quite frankly go sick/AWOL and hell with the consequences, but it would be nice to keep the job for at least another year.
I already take full paid for entitlement, and I doubt I could pay folk to work my shifts. The office is already too suicidal to consider such things. And obviously if I go around trying to make things work, the management will know what I want off, making sick a non option then.
So, just thought I'd ask people who know there stuff if there are any legit options? Or am I condemned to the skullduggery of going sick or something. An altogether risky strategy if you're not gonna be in the country. I'm sure there a folk that condemn my attitude about this, but I honestly think our holiday system is garbage. I've had around 4 weeks off this year I never wanted, early, so I could not swap them when something comes along that I want to do. That's why I'm in the predicament now.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
I think annual leave allocation is based on seniority, but i share your predicament. Everyone seems to want a two week allocation in the summer hols, so i tend not to choose them
Ive worked me days off for colleagues when they were supposed to work them, it cost them though, and insisted they pay up beforehand !!
Can you not work your day/s off and get them added on as annual leave days when you want them or something ??
Other than that i can't think what else to suggest
Ive worked me days off for colleagues when they were supposed to work them, it cost them though, and insisted they pay up beforehand !!
Can you not work your day/s off and get them added on as annual leave days when you want them or something ??
Other than that i can't think what else to suggest
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
stevo302
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 13:54
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
Could be an idea you have there, though I'm not sure if they're keen on banking something like that. They've always wanted to just pay.postslippete wrote:
Can you not work your day/s off and get them added on as annual leave days when you want them or something ??
Other than that i can't think what else to suggest
There's also the added problem that I think the week I want in Jan is fully booked, so it could all be trivial anyways. I'd have to request for a swap, but I wouldn't have a full week block, I'd just have banked lieu days or whatever you wanna call them. Then like I say, once you request, they know your game.
I'm a keen player of logic puzzles, and figuring this out far surpasses any puzzle I've come across.
-
olilew
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
Annual leave allocation is not, nor is it allowed to be, on seniority. It should be done on an even basis for everyone, maybe in blocks of 2 or 3 depending on the size of the office and this should be rotated so every 2 or 3 years you are in the block which picks first.
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
-
stevo302
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 13:54
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
My problem with it has always been how ridiculously far ahead it's done, and how the management will just not bend for you at all. We've just had to put in for all next years. I don't know what the hell i'M doing in the next four months, never mind 18 month down the line. I basically go abroad when certain events are announced, but they're not announced until like 3-4 months in advance. So I've got useless weeks given to me that I can either try to swap or just take. Then when it gets to the back end of the year, I'm sat sighing and twiddling my thumbs because the leave I've wasted early on is not available to me for swapping anymore.olilew wrote:Annual leave allocation is not, nor is it allowed to be, on seniority. It should be done on an even basis for everyone, maybe in blocks of 2 or 3 depending on the size of the office and this should be rotated so every 2 or 3 years you are in the block which picks first.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
Request a sabbatical?
Two/three months?
U know you want to

Two/three months?
U know you want to
I won
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
Are you on a stage warning if not go sick and go sick some more if you are take it without pay and work your days off.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
I do not condone anybody going sick unless they are sick, however I have alway's believed RM's Annual Leave policy does encourage it. You look in the book, no space and you are desperate for the time off, you know it is going to be a no if you ask. The times my family have got the arse with me because they want to do something and I can't go. Every other job I have had I have been abe to take leave at very short notice, even the same day. The attitude is once it is used it is gone. I would suggest requesting special leave, unpaid but at least you cannot be sacked if caught.
-
stevo302
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 13:54
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
Money isn't an issue so I'd gladly take unpaid leave, though I'm fairly sure it has to come with an acceptable reason. Can anyone confirm this? If you could just say, 'look i'm going, dock my pay', I'd do it, though I'm pretty sure that doesn't protect you from the sack if they insist you stay. Not that I'm too fussed.
And again, if you ask and are denied, you're stumped for taking the sick.
And again, if you ask and are denied, you're stumped for taking the sick.
-
Sidley
- Posts: 653
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
If you ask for the time off on different dates to the ones your want and they refuse, you might be able to suss whether they'd refuse any dates you asked for (from their attitude, or if they refused straight away without checking or if they blustered and bullshitted you or if they actually went to check if the dates were available etc etc)by asking for different dates they'll be less suspicious if you are "ill" at another time.
-
Jamesethefirst
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
I do know someone who just went anyway, after asking for special leave for a mercy reason and getting refused, it went all the way to the local MP, after that nothing more was said, funny that. Don't go,sick , remember your future, even if it is not with this organisation.stevo302 wrote:Money isn't an issue so I'd gladly take unpaid leave, though I'm fairly sure it has to come with an acceptable reason. Can anyone confirm this? If you could just say, 'look i'm going, dock my pay', I'd do it, though I'm pretty sure that doesn't protect you from the sack if they insist you stay. Not that I'm too fussed.
And again, if you ask and are denied, you're stumped for taking the sick.
-
stevo302
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 13:54
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
Except I don't have a valid reason to take to an MP, other than the holiday leave system is horse manure. I doubt I have a valid enough reason to take to the union.Jamesethefirst wrote:I do know someone who just went anyway, after asking for special leave for a mercy reason and getting refused, it went all the way to the local MP, after that nothing more was said, funny that. Don't go,sick , remember your future, even if it is not with this organisation.stevo302 wrote:Money isn't an issue so I'd gladly take unpaid leave, though I'm fairly sure it has to come with an acceptable reason. Can anyone confirm this? If you could just say, 'look i'm going, dock my pay', I'd do it, though I'm pretty sure that doesn't protect you from the sack if they insist you stay. Not that I'm too fussed.
And again, if you ask and are denied, you're stumped for taking the sick.
Not going isn't an option for me anymore. I've let it slip too many times with this company's shitty procedure. On account of my temperament, I've never been able to negotiate a lot of breaks I've wanted and have missed out. Enough is enough.
You may be right, rather than go sick, maybe just going flat out AWOL would be better, even if I do get sacked. At least then when looking for further work I can say I got done for putting my foot down, as opposed to sly deviance and getting caught whilst doing it.
-
rick184
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
There's a couple of different issues here. If the leave spaces are all fully booked in the weeks you want the manager's reluctance will be because he/she will get a bo***cking if he allows more people off and then can't cover all the deliveries. Have you checked the leave list and asked if anyone will do you a swap?
If you haven't got enough leave days left for the time you want off you can apply for unpaid leave. However, this put the manager in the same position of having your delivery to cover, so why would he/she? As other have suggested, you can try and get someone in the office to work your days and you can pay them or work your day off to cover them. Or, if you have a day off and the manager is struggling to cover deliveries, offer to work your day off BUT rather than being paid you will take the day back when you need it.
If you haven't got enough leave days left for the time you want off you can apply for unpaid leave. However, this put the manager in the same position of having your delivery to cover, so why would he/she? As other have suggested, you can try and get someone in the office to work your days and you can pay them or work your day off to cover them. Or, if you have a day off and the manager is struggling to cover deliveries, offer to work your day off BUT rather than being paid you will take the day back when you need it.
-
rick184
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
If you go 'AWOL' you may get dismissed for unauthorised absence or the abandonment process may be triggered. Many employers know Royal Mail do not dismiss staff casually and so this may affect your future job prospects.
-
Jamesethefirst
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
Really? That's not the impression I get from looking on here. Given their reputation with the medical profession, which is not the best , I am not so sure.rick184 wrote:If you go 'AWOL' you may get dismissed for unauthorised absence or the abandonment process may be triggered. Many employers know Royal Mail do not dismiss staff casually and so this may affect your future job prospects.