ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Changing of flat tyres

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
pink panther
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 151
Joined: 09 Feb 2011, 14:15
Gender: Male

Changing of flat tyres

Post by pink panther »

What is the proper procedure for changing a flat tyre when out on delivery?
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by Jamesethefirst »

pink panther wrote:What is the proper procedure for changing a flat tyre when out on delivery?
Call the RAC I believe ,unless you have been trained, might be a good idea to check you have a spare wheel as well.
pod25
Posts: 240
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
Gender: Male

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by pod25 »

Unless you have had the appropriate training, you are no longer allowed to change a wheel. You must call the RAC.
And once the RAC have done the job, your van must then be booked in at the mech to check the torque settings on the wheel nuts :crazy:
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by Jamesethefirst »

pod25 wrote:Unless you have had the appropriate training, you are no longer allowed to change a wheel. You must call the RAC.
And once the RAC have done the job, your van must then be booked in at the mech to check the torque settings on the wheel nuts :crazy:
As far as I am aware if you change it yourself , you have to have the torque settings checked,I don't think you need to if you use the RAC.
I may be wrong , however I believe this is a union generated policy, I know in some offices the manager changes the wheel if there is a flat tyre. Seems to be an ill thought out thing from what I know of it.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by Darren Bent »

Do Royal Mail vans have spare wheel in every vans ?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Jamesethefirst wrote:
pod25 wrote:Unless you have had the appropriate training, you are no longer allowed to change a wheel. You must call the RAC.
And once the RAC have done the job, your van must then be booked in at the mech to check the torque settings on the wheel nuts :crazy:
As far as I am aware if you change it yourself , you have to have the torque settings checked,I don't think you need to if you use the RAC.
I may be wrong , however I believe this is a union generated policy, I know in some offices the manager changes the wheel if there is a flat tyre. Seems to be an ill thought out thing from what I know of it.

thats correct, its part of the actual training for changing the wheel about how and where to get the torque settings checked after you get back to office
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by Jamesethefirst »

Darren Bent wrote:Do Royal Mail vans have spare wheel in every vans ?
In a word,no.
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by olilew »

We've been told we are not allowed to change tyres in any van, period.
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by spiderj »

Unless trained
Call the number in the vehicle log book
:thumbup
I won
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by clashcityrocker »

What happens if you have been trained but can't do it?

If someone has tightened the nuts/bolts with a machine and you've only got a manual thing, it isn't always so easy.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by k979aaa »

Could the DOM not inflate it up with the hot air they bellow at us all day!
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by spiderj »

clashcityrocker wrote:What happens if you have been trained but can't do it?

If someone has tightened the nuts/bolts with a machine and you've only got a manual thing, it isn't always so easy.
Correct

Nowadays honestly who would touch it anyway?
I won
Krafty
Posts: 88
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by Krafty »

If the wheel falls off the management will conduct you for it and try and sack you (especially if you are full time). :roll:

I won't be changing any wheels, just to be on the safe side - you have to watch your back in this job now.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by krussel »

You are a postman not a mechanic so don't change the wheel.

If you end up waiting an hour or so for the RAC then cut off or book it, simples.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
shadowlost
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Apr 2013, 11:31
Gender: Male

Re: Changing of flat tyres

Post by shadowlost »

Wouldn't it make sense to supply each van with one of those aerosol foam tins which you get with most new cars instead of a spare wheel - they cost less than a tenner from halfords