ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Changing of flat tyres
-
pink panther
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 151
- Joined: 09 Feb 2011, 14:15
- Gender: Male
Changing of flat tyres
What is the proper procedure for changing a flat tyre when out on delivery?
-
Jamesethefirst
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing of flat tyres
Call the RAC I believe ,unless you have been trained, might be a good idea to check you have a spare wheel as well.pink panther wrote:What is the proper procedure for changing a flat tyre when out on delivery?
-
pod25
- Posts: 240
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing of flat tyres
Unless you have had the appropriate training, you are no longer allowed to change a wheel. You must call the RAC.
And once the RAC have done the job, your van must then be booked in at the mech to check the torque settings on the wheel nuts
And once the RAC have done the job, your van must then be booked in at the mech to check the torque settings on the wheel nuts
-
Jamesethefirst
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing of flat tyres
As far as I am aware if you change it yourself , you have to have the torque settings checked,I don't think you need to if you use the RAC.pod25 wrote:Unless you have had the appropriate training, you are no longer allowed to change a wheel. You must call the RAC.
And once the RAC have done the job, your van must then be booked in at the mech to check the torque settings on the wheel nuts
I may be wrong , however I believe this is a union generated policy, I know in some offices the manager changes the wheel if there is a flat tyre. Seems to be an ill thought out thing from what I know of it.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Changing of flat tyres
Do Royal Mail vans have spare wheel in every vans ?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing of flat tyres
Jamesethefirst wrote:As far as I am aware if you change it yourself , you have to have the torque settings checked,I don't think you need to if you use the RAC.pod25 wrote:Unless you have had the appropriate training, you are no longer allowed to change a wheel. You must call the RAC.
And once the RAC have done the job, your van must then be booked in at the mech to check the torque settings on the wheel nuts
I may be wrong , however I believe this is a union generated policy, I know in some offices the manager changes the wheel if there is a flat tyre. Seems to be an ill thought out thing from what I know of it.
thats correct, its part of the actual training for changing the wheel about how and where to get the torque settings checked after you get back to office
-
Jamesethefirst
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing of flat tyres
In a word,no.Darren Bent wrote:Do Royal Mail vans have spare wheel in every vans ?
-
olilew
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing of flat tyres
We've been told we are not allowed to change tyres in any van, period.
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Changing of flat tyres
What happens if you have been trained but can't do it?
If someone has tightened the nuts/bolts with a machine and you've only got a manual thing, it isn't always so easy.
If someone has tightened the nuts/bolts with a machine and you've only got a manual thing, it isn't always so easy.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Changing of flat tyres
Could the DOM not inflate it up with the hot air they bellow at us all day!
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Changing of flat tyres
Correctclashcityrocker wrote:What happens if you have been trained but can't do it?
If someone has tightened the nuts/bolts with a machine and you've only got a manual thing, it isn't always so easy.
Nowadays honestly who would touch it anyway?
I won
-
Krafty
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing of flat tyres
If the wheel falls off the management will conduct you for it and try and sack you (especially if you are full time).
I won't be changing any wheels, just to be on the safe side - you have to watch your back in this job now.
I won't be changing any wheels, just to be on the safe side - you have to watch your back in this job now.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Changing of flat tyres
You are a postman not a mechanic so don't change the wheel.
If you end up waiting an hour or so for the RAC then cut off or book it, simples.
If you end up waiting an hour or so for the RAC then cut off or book it, simples.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
shadowlost
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 11 Apr 2013, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing of flat tyres
Wouldn't it make sense to supply each van with one of those aerosol foam tins which you get with most new cars instead of a spare wheel - they cost less than a tenner from halfords