ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Retirement Age
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Retirement Age
If you are approaching your 65th Birthday and can retire, are you forced to or can you work on if you want?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Retirement Age
https://www.gov.uk/retirement-age" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;doorstepped wrote:If you are approaching your 65th Birthday and can retire, are you forced to or can you work on if you want?
Default retirement age (formerly 65) has been phased out - most people can now work for as long as they want to.
Retirement age is when an employee chooses to retire. Most businesses don’t set a compulsory retirement age for their employees.
If an employee chooses to work longer they can’t be discriminated against.
However, some employers can set a compulsory retirement age if they can clearly justify it.
It’s an employee’s responsibility to discuss when and how to retire with their employer. This could include phasing retirement by working flexibly.
Members of occupational pension schemes need to discuss with their pension scheme managers what impact a change in working hours or income might have on the pension, whether the scheme supports phased retirement and working beyond the scheme’s normal pension age.
Employers may or may not be able to agree requests. If an employee is unhappy with their employer’s decision, they can challenge this at an employment tribunal.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Retirement Age
The retirement age at which you would draw your national pension is no longer relevant in the workplace. You do not now officially retire at 65, but instead have to resign. You can stay on if you so wish past the date of your 65th birthday unless whichever employer it may be can demonstrate that your physical or mental capabilities render you unable to fulfil the normal needs of that job. As people are ageing more slowly I imagine some my want to continue but given the physical hammering that most posties endure I would think that most would go at the first opportunity.doorstepped wrote:If you are approaching your 65th Birthday and can retire, are you forced to or can you work on if you want?
I retired 6 weeks ago at 65 and already feel fitter and more relaxed. My days are now arranged around my and my families needs and although I miss my mates in a job I actually enjoyed, the lack of physical demand and working against the clock is a fair exchange.
Work on if you want to or sadly have to, but after what I imagine has been a full life's work I advise retiring and starting a new chapter that YOU will write instead of having it written for you
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Retirement Age
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 27&t=39326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Retirement Age
Thank you Gents.
as helpful as always :)
as helpful as always :)
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
Carry on if you want, I was 65 in 2011 and I still work now, though I am going to retire in December, I'll be in my 69th year. My advice would be carry on as long as you want to. I only work three days now and what with your pensions, I have 3, you get hammered for taxdoorstepped wrote:If you are approaching your 65th Birthday and can retire, are you forced to or can you work on if you want?
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Retirement Age
So in essence you can now work (if fit..) until you drop as it were?
Cue the old joke.... If you peg out in your job, then make sure you do so standing up. They may not pay you otherwise!
Cue the old joke.... If you peg out in your job, then make sure you do so standing up. They may not pay you otherwise!
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Retirement Age
Employers have been unable to force someone to retire when they reach retirement age since October 2011. You are now able to work until whatever age you want to or need to. Pensions can be deferred aswell although that may depend on individual scheme rules, particularly for defined benefit schemes. The state pension can also be deferred, so paying lots of tax doesn’t necessarily need to be an issue.
The important thing is to plan ahead and give yourself the opportunity to retire when you want to.
The important thing is to plan ahead and give yourself the opportunity to retire when you want to.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here