ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Urgent Advice needed about emergency/special leave pls

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
willy3878
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Sep 2012, 14:14
Gender: Male

Urgent Advice needed about emergency/special leave pls

Post by willy3878 »

Hi just wanted some advice on special leave as my wife has gone into early labour at 28 weeks and as yet were unsure as to why but she has on going heart problems and possible gestational diabetes last week when this happend I had 3 days holiday as she was transferred to a hospital 100 miles away and there was no neonatal cots for baby should he of been delivered at our planned hospital. She's now home in slow unestablished labour on total bed rest. She can't drive or use public transport so I'm the only person able to take her to her hospital appointments. As it's been stated to us thing can change very quickly I undoubtedly want to attend these (important appointments, NOT regular antenatal appointments) in case of any change in her or the baby's well being . I have had two days paid special leave at the beginning of her pregnancy in May as we was expecting twins to start with but lost one. Any advice about what leave I can take will be gratefully appreciated. As you can imagine this is a highly worrying time for us both without the added worry of it interfering with my job.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Urgent Advice needed about emergency/special leave pls

Post by rehabron »

willy3878 wrote:Hi just wanted some advice on special leave as my wife has gone into early labour at 28 weeks and as yet were unsure as to why but she has on going heart problems and possible gestational diabetes last week when this happend I had 3 days holiday as she was transferred to a hospital 100 miles away and there was no neonatal cots for baby should he of been delivered at our planned hospital. She's now home in slow unestablished labour on total bed rest. She can't drive or use public transport so I'm the only person able to take her to her hospital appointments. As it's been stated to us thing can change very quickly I undoubtedly want to attend these (important appointments, NOT regular antenatal appointments) in case of any change in her or the baby's well being . I have had two days paid special leave at the beginning of her pregnancy in May as we was expecting twins to start with but lost one. Any advice about what leave I can take will be gratefully appreciated. As you can imagine this is a highly worrying time for us both without the added worry of it interfering with my job.
If the hospital appointments are within your duty time and on previous special leave allocated then your DOM should be fully aware of your situation
You can request special leave for " URGENT DOMESTIC DISTRESS " which can be paid/unpaid at the discretion of your DOM.
I would involve your union rep and see if a mutual agreement can be reached allowing you time off to accompany your wife to the appointments without having unpaid leave.