ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Which one do I go for?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ysbrydtawel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 111
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: South West

Which one do I go for?

Post by ysbrydtawel »

I'm on a 20-hour contract, however there are two full-time vacancies in my office. I'm guaranteed either one as it's my turn to pick - but I'm torn between the two:

Full time reserve
Pros: Mostly rural duties, if I choose this one I would learn every round in the office I don't already know, variety (not doing the same round every day).
Cons: Don't get 1 in 4 Saturdays off, Christmas tips won't be as good because not regular postie on the same round.

Full time town round (shared van, driving)
The other option is the driver side of a shared van round. Thing is, it's a nice round which I already do quite a lot.
Pros: Get to know round and customers well. Better Christmas tips because you're the regular guy.
Cons: Could get monotonous I suppose


What are your thoughts on this, guys? Got to decide by tomorrow midday and I have no idea what to go for... :neutral:
We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there.
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by ebbzie »

I would go for option 1
This job is boring enough, the change in duties each week can make it a little less tedious
oldrope
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
Location: lapland

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by oldrope »

Hi,I would go for opp 2 if was you as if it a good duty you can always swop for a week or 2
douggie68
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Mar 2012, 09:39
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by douggie68 »

I would go for option 2
Last edited by douggie68 on 11 Sep 2014, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by Hitcher »

If you know and like the round go for option 2.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by rhino49 »

Go for option 2
The longer you do the duty and the more you work with a regular partner, the easier it gets and the fewer mistakes you make. Customers get to know you as well as you knowing them and that generates a degree of goodwill.

As for being monotonous ... you aren't paid to be entertained, but everyday the seasons are changing, the weather is different and getting out of the office is a joy.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by deltaforce »

Go for 1 you'll be mostly working on you own so no personality conflicts. As for tips I would hope that the other duty holders would divi up part of theirs as you would be part of a team of six.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by Hitcher »

deltaforce wrote:Go for 1 you'll be mostly working on you own so no personality conflicts. As for tips I would hope that the other duty holders would divi up part of theirs as you would be part of a team of six.
How do you work that out? A reserve will cover holidays and thus be partnered with someone different every week.
Luke Skywalker
Posts: 33
Joined: 23 Jan 2013, 20:59
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Option 2. If it's like my office you'll probably be shifted onto other duties regardless. Also option 1 can be a nightmare throwing off different walks, getting out later and the hassle of cutting off when you need to.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by Postie45 »

def #2 , i like to know what days off im getting in advance, and it sounds like its a nice enough duty
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by datasaint »

Do you know who you'll be pairing up with? That would the biggest influencing factor for me, you have to work with this person 5 days a week throughout the year.

Personally I would go for the reserve duty purely because the idea in my head I have to walk around the same streets another 4 days in a row would do my head in by the end of Monday. :crazy: (Disclaimer: unless the round was really nice then maybe that would outweigh the cons. :confused )
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by DB1100 »

Option 2,and don't sit in the van eating your snap while the other blokes working and you should be fine.
For we were soldiers once,and young
PhilPott
Posts: 20
Joined: 07 Aug 2014, 19:16
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by PhilPott »

Divide the Xmas tips up by 52 and ask yourself if it's worth that much money per week for the monotony. Personally I'd go rural reserve - it'd still get boring but at least you can be bored, miserable and constantly asking where life went wrong on your own. Especially good if you're delivering to big houses full of wealthy people - the jealousy really helps darken the already black cloud over your head. :chuckle

And when it all gets too much and you decide to plough your van into a wall at 70mph or into a deep fast flowing river there's no partner to worry about.
Macca9
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Jan 2013, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by Macca9 »

I am a full time leave reserve in a rural. Great duty. Different round every week. On your own in the countryside. Tips are split equally between duty holder and myself. No problem. Go for it...
ysbrydtawel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 111
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: South West

Re: Which one do I go for?

Post by ysbrydtawel »

douggie68 wrote:I would go for option 2 (name removed)
How did you work that out?? Who are you?
We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there.