I'm a collections driver working 11.50 to 19.40 Monday to Friday. Delivery have asked if I can come in some mornings to do overtime.
I'm up for it but not sure how long you're meant to leave between shifts plus if the amount of driving comes into it? I drive for 4 hours 45 total a day.
Any answers appreciated.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How much overtime can I work?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: How much overtime can I work?
Daily rest
Under the Working Time Regulations 1998, regulation 10, a worker is entitled to a rest period of 11 consecutive hours rest in each 24 hour period during which he works for his employer.
But if you have signed the opt out I think you can voluntarily waive the 11 hour limit.
If you are driving a CDV type van the hours don't come into it.
Under the Working Time Regulations 1998, regulation 10, a worker is entitled to a rest period of 11 consecutive hours rest in each 24 hour period during which he works for his employer.
But if you have signed the opt out I think you can voluntarily waive the 11 hour limit.
If you are driving a CDV type van the hours don't come into it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: How much overtime can I work?
As tb says ..yes you can
However
In the event of an accident
You will be asked
Did you take your break
Pace yourself
Take breaks
Fatigue builds over time
Download the break schedule unless your on top of it matey
Good luck
However
In the event of an accident
You will be asked
Did you take your break
Pace yourself
Take breaks
Fatigue builds over time
Download the break schedule unless your on top of it matey
Good luck
I won
-
Craig_Fairbrass
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
- Gender: Male
Re: How much overtime can I work?
Thanks guys, I've never signed any opt out? Does a Peugeot Expert count as a cdv yeah?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: How much overtime can I work?
A CDV is a Car Derived Van - in other words a body of an ordinary car changed into Van. I think an Expert is a regular Van, however in this case it has no effect on driving hours etc.Craig_Fairbrass wrote:Thanks guys, I've never signed any opt out? Does a Peugeot Expert count as a cdv yeah?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Speedmeister
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
- Gender: Male
Re: How much overtime can I work?
Work as much as you like but they won't think any more of you.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: How much overtime can I work?
The person is probably wanting to work extra because they need the income ad opposed to wanting to impress anybody
-
Tiddler
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 21:47
- Gender: Male
Re: How much overtime can I work?
The opt out only relates to the 48 hr week, the 11 consecutive hr daily rest period is part of the working time regulations and you can't opt out of it.
The regulations do have an exemption for postal services in pressure periods I.e. Xmas pressure.
The regulations do have an exemption for postal services in pressure periods I.e. Xmas pressure.
-
Craig_Fairbrass
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
- Gender: Male
Re: How much overtime can I work?
Don't care what they think of me, I'm going on holiday next year and wish for the Royal Mail to fund it!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: How much overtime can I work?
That is dependant on your political outlook. Certainly the business leaders would like you to believe that, but then there is the other view that you are funding it with your labour and graft and Royal Mail are merely compensating you for your valuable time.Craig_Fairbrass wrote:I'm going on holiday next year and wish for the Royal Mail to fund it!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: How much overtime can I work?
Don't forget 200 bonus from Christmas, plus 75 pounds for divined money plus say 100 pounds a week, it shouldn't be too difficult to save up without doing too much overtime. Depending on your outgoing. Don't forget once you done 10 hours overtime after full time hours it drop below normal pay. So try to stick to 49 hours a week.