ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
how to progress?
-
mattymann
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 19 Jun 2013, 23:06
- Gender: Male
how to progress?
Hi
I'm looking to progress in royal mail, I'm only a part timer at the moment as it befits me to be so, but I'm pretty sick of talking bull crap most days and basically being treated like a mule, so I wish to climb the ladder as it were, but I've been researching And can't find anywhere that gives me a definitive answer....like what rm offers in terms of career progression, I've seen the blurb on rmgroup page but unless you've got spots and are straight out of uni, you're pretty much stuck....unless you can get to Scotland or Milton Keynes!!! What I want to know is, how do you progress, how do you go about it and what courses rm offers in respect of where I live?
Without shoving me in front of rmtv and calling it training!
Any info and links to management courses or business courses with rm group would be great. As I'd like to know more about the business without having to find out through my mistakes
Thanks in advance
I'm looking to progress in royal mail, I'm only a part timer at the moment as it befits me to be so, but I'm pretty sick of talking bull crap most days and basically being treated like a mule, so I wish to climb the ladder as it were, but I've been researching And can't find anywhere that gives me a definitive answer....like what rm offers in terms of career progression, I've seen the blurb on rmgroup page but unless you've got spots and are straight out of uni, you're pretty much stuck....unless you can get to Scotland or Milton Keynes!!! What I want to know is, how do you progress, how do you go about it and what courses rm offers in respect of where I live?
Without shoving me in front of rmtv and calling it training!
Any info and links to management courses or business courses with rm group would be great. As I'd like to know more about the business without having to find out through my mistakes
Thanks in advance
-
newtimes
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
- Gender: Male
Re: how to progress?
" but I'm pretty sick of talking bull crap most days and basically being treated like a mule"
" I wish to climb the ladder"
By climbing the ladder do you want to change the system or join the system.
" I wish to climb the ladder"
By climbing the ladder do you want to change the system or join the system.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: how to progress?
Think about Evening class courses and do it fast as it is enrolment time. Don't think there is much career path to climb in Royal Mail, but next step is work place coach/union rep/ then managers and upwards.
-
markj113
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 16:27
Re: how to progress?
Try to start upskilling yourself to improve your CV.
Work place coach.
Ask for a psp account to start some elearning
Acting manager opportunities
WCM pillar team involvement.
Sure plenty will be along to have a dig at you because you want to progress but dont let them put you off.
Work place coach.
Ask for a psp account to start some elearning
Acting manager opportunities
WCM pillar team involvement.
Sure plenty will be along to have a dig at you because you want to progress but dont let them put you off.
-
Regal
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 13:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: Yorkshire
Re: how to progress?
Theres no progress up the magical career ladder unless your your a university graduate and thats just the way it is and will be!
Tomorrow Never Knows
-
janitor
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 689
- Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
- Gender: Male
Re: how to progress?
Unfortunately progression in RM from within is highly unlikely,management from DOM level upwards is usually from outside the company,university graduates, or people who have done some thing good in other large businesses, not usually any thing thats relevant to RM but looks good any way. The line manager and DOM numbers are being cut so not much room for progression that way either,but as the DOM and line managers in my last office went out packed like mules any way, and apparently now its even worse as they are the ones having to clear all the cut offs. The old method of progression was to make such a pigs ear of every job they gave you, till you reached the grade you required, no longer works, as they will just get rid of you traduce the head count.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: how to progress?
There is no prospect of progression in RM. It is easier to leapfrog from PT Postie into Management than to get a full time duty. We are now being micro managed by tossers that refuse to accept responsibility for their hands on approach.
-
Gwynedd
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 08 May 2014, 17:10
- Gender: Female
Re: how to progress?
Progression is possible..do you have a family member who is in a more senior position within the RM group? If so ask them to get in touch with your DOM, you will soon be on the path to where you want to be, or, try getting on the right side of your DOM, do whatever he asks of you and become his favourite, then you will also be the first to get the golden opportunities such as training, overtime, progression..!..
-
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
- Gender: Male
Re: how to progress?
Act completely clueless
Grass up your workmates
Buy your suit from C + A
Brown your nose
Offer to put the balls in whilst giving head
Grass up your workmates
Buy your suit from C + A
Brown your nose
Offer to put the balls in whilst giving head
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: how to progress?
Open a facebook account in the name of the persons job you want,post some racist comments in their name and then report them to Moya or one of her lickspittles.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Re: how to progress?
Oh you cynical lot you! Without new managers stepping up to the plate, what we going to moan about?
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: how to progress?
Workload,D2ds,lapsing,P.d.a,s,vans,wcm,backless frames,hi vizvest's and sh1tty uncomfortable trainers for a start.deltaforce wrote:Oh you cynical lot you! Without new managers stepping up to the plate, what we going to moan about?
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Jamesethefirst
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Re: how to progress?
And your plan for the rest of the day is?DB1100 wrote:Workload,D2ds,lapsing,P.d.a,s,vans,wcm,backless frames,hi vizvest's and sh1tty uncomfortable trainers for a start.deltaforce wrote:Oh you cynical lot you! Without new managers stepping up to the plate, what we going to moan about?
-
mattymann
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 19 Jun 2013, 23:06
- Gender: Male
Re: how to progress?
Wow! Looks like I've opened a can of worms!!!
I already have higher education and degree, but don't want to go down the teaching history route,
I did this job as I was a session musician for 10 years after uni and you don't get much chance to improve your cv in that time, so this job was great to fit around my lifestyle, but now this job demands alot more than it used to both physically and mentally and now Sundays are being threatened too, if I can't progress then maybe I'll have to move on yet again! I said I was part time but I'm putting in hours way above my contract and even jumping on the sorting in the mornings as we're so under staffed its laughable! 8 people gone in the 3 years since I joined and nearly all full time! The ratio is supposed to be around 3:1 in favour of full time whereas we're working at 1:1 even......I think I'm only really going to stay until my shares mature..
I already have higher education and degree, but don't want to go down the teaching history route,
I did this job as I was a session musician for 10 years after uni and you don't get much chance to improve your cv in that time, so this job was great to fit around my lifestyle, but now this job demands alot more than it used to both physically and mentally and now Sundays are being threatened too, if I can't progress then maybe I'll have to move on yet again! I said I was part time but I'm putting in hours way above my contract and even jumping on the sorting in the mornings as we're so under staffed its laughable! 8 people gone in the 3 years since I joined and nearly all full time! The ratio is supposed to be around 3:1 in favour of full time whereas we're working at 1:1 even......I think I'm only really going to stay until my shares mature..
-
mattymann
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 19 Jun 2013, 23:06
- Gender: Male
Re: how to progress?
Oh God, I'd need to change it, this is the only job on earth that seems to punish efficiency! If you finish early and all your work is done and dusted, in my view, you've completed your task and should get paid accordingly, and thanked! Not be threatened with more gruelling work without additional pay and not made to feel like you have to drag your feet! Ultimately the "ground troops" of rm don't get recognised enough for the hard work they do, it's not rocket science, if u want to save money you don't cut hours to your work force! And you don't do something like get rid of bicycles and buy s**t loads of vans that take maintenance and petrol or waste vital money on silly ventures like rmtv! It's purely corporate shenanigans that are losing money for this company and we end up paying for it, they've never taken the competition seriously enough to put things in place before the s**t hits the fan...it's too little too late. We need people up top who know what it's like to get their hands dirty on the ground, not children using royal mail as a playpit for pithy ideas that just don't worknewtimes wrote:" but I'm pretty sick of talking bull crap most days and basically being treated like a mule"
" I wish to climb the ladder"
By climbing the ladder do you want to change the system or join the system.