ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Smoking

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bensonhedge
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
Gender: Male

Smoking

Post by bensonhedge »

just want to rectify a few points that have been made recently on here and in our office.I have had a few complaints regarding smoke breaks during ips.now let me make clear smoking is an addiction and an addiction is classified as an illness.also just as methadone is to a heroin addict coffee is to a smoker so all you moaners bear this in mind when we slope off outside coffee in one hand,cig in the other and count yourselves lucky.
Rory
Posts: 90
Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking

Post by Rory »

You're joking, right?
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Re: Smoking

Post by crazyshrew »

Whilst this is technically true, under the equality act an addiction in itself is not covered therefore nor reasonable adjustments are required to be made; however illness caused by the addiction lung cancer, liver damage etc. are covered.

worth noting i'm not anti smoking - until very recently I was a 25 - 30 a day smoker but never skived off the IPS or expected special treatment to accommodate my self inflicted need
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Smoking

Post by spiderj »

Aaaaaawwwwww poor you

I'm addicted to my bed

Can I go for a lie down when I feel like it?
I won
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking

Post by dohnut »

bensonhedge wrote:just want to rectify a few points that have been made recently on here and in our office.I have had a few complaints regarding smoke breaks during ips.now let me make clear smoking is an addiction and an addiction is classified as an illness.also just as methadone is to a heroin addict coffee is to a smoker so all you moaners bear this in mind when we slope off outside coffee in one hand,cig in the other and count yourselves lucky.

This is a piss take?, If you want to kill yourself do it in your own time, Quiting smoking isnt that hard I quit 10 years ago just went cold turkey, yeah first week is hard but after that easy, only problem is I replaced it with more alcohol.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Smoking

Post by clashcityrocker »

We've got a few sex addicts in our DO
When we get called onto the IPS they slope off to the toilets for a wank.

Now I realise it is an illness I will stop calling them w*****s.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking

Post by Jpro747 »

clashcityrocker wrote:We've got a few sex addicts in our DO
When we get called onto the IPS they slope off to the toilets for a wank.

Now I realise it is an illness I will stop calling them w*****s.
Is that why some of the catalogues get stuck together? :hmmmm
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Smoking

Post by Judgee »

Recent ex smoker here and not against anyone needing a smoke break from time to time as I still remember the urge. But there isn't a smoker in the land that can't go an hour without a cigarette. Do your share on the IPS then go for your break you selfish tw@t! :thumbup
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
leadseal
Posts: 44
Joined: 09 May 2007, 16:48

Re: Smoking

Post by leadseal »

Alcoholism is an illness.

So you'll not be complaining when the rest of the office f**k off for a pint, once you've finished your fag?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking

Post by Postie45 »

bensonhedge wrote:just want to rectify a few points that have been made recently on here and in our office.I have had a few complaints regarding smoke breaks during ips.now let me make clear smoking is an addiction and an addiction is classified as an illness.also just as methadone is to a heroin addict coffee is to a smoker so all you moaners bear this in mind when we slope off outside coffee in one hand,cig in the other and count yourselves lucky.
you realise that people who are verified for the type of addictions youre talking about, wouldnt be allowed to work at RM ?