ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Career break issues
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Career break issues
Hi all, just wanting some general info from anyone who's actually managed to obtain a career break recently.
I've now been requesting one for over 2 months (form filled in and handed to my manager) and have got precisely no where at all with the process, I still cant even establish whether the decision is to be made by my DOM or his superior or HR???
My reason for needing a career break is that I need the time off to help out with a parent who lives in a different part of the country and currently has serious health issues.
Also if RM refuse me a career break knowing that my only other option would be to hand my notice in, would I then have grounds for a claim for constructive dismissal?
Thanks in advance for any replies!
I've now been requesting one for over 2 months (form filled in and handed to my manager) and have got precisely no where at all with the process, I still cant even establish whether the decision is to be made by my DOM or his superior or HR???
My reason for needing a career break is that I need the time off to help out with a parent who lives in a different part of the country and currently has serious health issues.
Also if RM refuse me a career break knowing that my only other option would be to hand my notice in, would I then have grounds for a claim for constructive dismissal?
Thanks in advance for any replies!
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
having completed the form you need to keep pestering management for an answer and bring to the attention of a manager at a higher level and with the situation you have mentioned an individual grievance may be the push that is needed.wacko74 wrote:Hi all, just wanting some general info from anyone who's actually managed to obtain a career break recently.
I've now been requesting one for over 2 months (form filled in and handed to my manager) and have got precisely no where at all with the process, I still cant even establish whether the decision is to be made by my DOM or his superior or HR???
My reason for needing a career break is that I need the time off to help out with a parent who lives in a different part of the country and currently has serious health issues.
Also if RM refuse me a career break knowing that my only other option would be to hand my notice in, would I then have grounds for a claim for constructive dismissal?
Thanks in advance for any replies!
By handing your notice in you have in fact voluntarily resigned and this would not be grounds for constructive dismissal.
Constructive dismissal would have to be that the treatment you are receiving from your employer is so excessive that you could not continue to work there any longer and walked out.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
Thanks for the reply, I'd not considered the grievance route but that certainly looks like it's what I'll have to do.
I'm not meaning this in an argumentative way, just a genuine question, but you consider that Royal Mail refusing me unpaid time off to deal with a seriously ill parent when they know that my ONLY other option will be to resign isn't unreasonable enough of them to warrant a case for constructive dismissal?
(Even though they granted one of our DOM's a 2 year career break last year as he wanted to go traveling round Asia)
I'm not meaning this in an argumentative way, just a genuine question, but you consider that Royal Mail refusing me unpaid time off to deal with a seriously ill parent when they know that my ONLY other option will be to resign isn't unreasonable enough of them to warrant a case for constructive dismissal?
(Even though they granted one of our DOM's a 2 year career break last year as he wanted to go traveling round Asia)
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
Hi Wacko,
I begin my 1 year career break in 2 weeks, I had no problems at all having mine granted. However I am part time, I gave the 3 months notice ( sounds like you have done the same) and I have never had a day off sick or faced any disciplinary action. I don't think they can refuse if you fulfill all of the above criteria and my manager said to me that he could n't stop me if he wanted to as they are legally obligated to grant such requests.
I think its a case of just pestering or going higher up as the other poster suggested. Any other questions you have don't hesitate to ask away.
Good Luck and I hope it all works out ok for you.
I begin my 1 year career break in 2 weeks, I had no problems at all having mine granted. However I am part time, I gave the 3 months notice ( sounds like you have done the same) and I have never had a day off sick or faced any disciplinary action. I don't think they can refuse if you fulfill all of the above criteria and my manager said to me that he could n't stop me if he wanted to as they are legally obligated to grant such requests.
I think its a case of just pestering or going higher up as the other poster suggested. Any other questions you have don't hesitate to ask away.
Good Luck and I hope it all works out ok for you.
'Libraries gave us power'
-
ratchet
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
- Gender: Male
- Location: Buggered off to France
Re: Career break issues
Hopefully this will (or should) be waived given the OP's reasons for needing a career break.mickeymacca wrote: I gave the 3 months notice
3 months notice is not unreasonable if you want to go travelling........... but if it's to deal with someone's serious health problems it should be a different matter entirely.
I am no longer a number :-)
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
I think you kind of missed my point concerning constructive dismissal it was that you DO NOT give to them a written resignation.wacko74 wrote:Thanks for the reply, I'd not considered the grievance route but that certainly looks like it's what I'll have to do.
I'm not meaning this in an argumentative way, just a genuine question, but you consider that Royal Mail refusing me unpaid time off to deal with a seriously ill parent when they know that my ONLY other option will be to resign isn't unreasonable enough of them to warrant a case for constructive dismissal?
(Even though they granted one of our DOM's a 2 year career break last year as he wanted to go traveling round Asia)
if you had to take your case to an ET for constructive dismissal the legal team representing the respondent ( RM) would argue that handing in your resignation was not the ONLY OPTION that was available to you within your employers procedures eg grievance or request for extended unpaid SPECIAL LEAVE and therefore there would be the possibility that your complaint for constructive dismissal would be unlikely to succeed.
As I previously posted you need with the assistance of your union rep to pursue this with a grievance or a special leave request.
As I am not aware of the size and administration of the RM unit where you work you need to contact your local or area union rep who will know the best contact in management to take your present situation to.
Try also to find the contact for the Employee Relations officer in your area might be worth a phone call.
-
paulthepostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
Sorry to hijack this thread but are absences considered when applying for a career break then?.
Cheers
Cheers
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
Yeh I agree ratchet. However I fear that in that situation it is discretionary, and given the lack of compassion some managers show it might be a bit of an ordeal getting it granted in less than that time. Still I am not 100% on that aspect just speaking from my own experience.....ratchet wrote:Hopefully this will (or should) be waived given the OP's reasons for needing a career break.mickeymacca wrote: I gave the 3 months notice
3 months notice is not unreasonable if you want to go travelling........... but if it's to deal with someone's serious health problems it should be a different matter entirely.
'Libraries gave us power'
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
Yes I believe they are, although again I believe that discretion and individual circumstances are considered, rather than a blanket approach of denying anyone that has the odd week off every year.paulthepostie wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread but are absences considered when applying for a career break then?.
Cheers
'Libraries gave us power'
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
I don't think RM are obliged to grant a career break. A female postwoman who was part time requested one on trying to recover from a divorce and setting up a home abroad with a new partner - the request was denied and she did resign.
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
I think if you fulfill the criteria it is something they are legally obliged to grant. However there are a lot of 'I thinks' in that sentence so I do stand corrected if proved otherwise dvbuk.dvbuk55 wrote:I don't think RM are obliged to grant a career break. A female postwoman who was part time requested one on trying to recover from a divorce and setting up a home abroad with a new partner - the request was denied and she did resign.
'Libraries gave us power'
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
mickeymacca wrote:I think if you fulfill the criteria it is something they are legally obliged to grant. However there are a lot of 'I thinks' in that sentence so I do stand corrected if proved otherwise dvbuk.dvbuk55 wrote:I don't think RM are obliged to grant a career break. A female postwoman who was part time requested one on trying to recover from a divorce and setting up a home abroad with a new partner - the request was denied and she did resign.
I couldn't honestly say if she fulfilled the criteria, if such exist, but she wasn't an isolated case in refusal but there has been at least two career breaks granted in our office both for educational reasons.
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... breaks.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have posted the link relating to career breaks. From what you have said DVB (albeit an abridged version I am sure) that would strike me as someone who is looking to keep her options open if her new life goes t'ts up, and so therefore the DOM may have thought it a non eligible reason for granting. You are also not allowed to work during a c/break.
I have posted the link relating to career breaks. From what you have said DVB (albeit an abridged version I am sure) that would strike me as someone who is looking to keep her options open if her new life goes t'ts up, and so therefore the DOM may have thought it a non eligible reason for granting. You are also not allowed to work during a c/break.
'Libraries gave us power'
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
Well yes it was bit more messy I suppose and TBH I don't know why they aren't granted because if you take someone on to cover the duty it would only be cost the same. Both those who had a career break came back. I believe in America in some companies after 20 years or so you get a paid career break which I think is a brilliant idea - it may not be 12 months but even if it was 3/6/months it's better than a fistful of Argos vouchers.mickeymacca wrote:http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... breaks.pdf
I have posted the link relating to career breaks. From what you have said DVB (albeit an abridged version I am sure) that would strike me as someone who is looking to keep her options open if her new life goes t'ts up, and so therefore the DOM may have thought it a non eligible reason for granting. You are also not allowed to work during a c/break.
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Career break issues
Sounds fantastic, we have a lot to learn in this country about the old work/ life balance.dvbuk55 wrote:Well yes it was bit more messy I suppose and TBH I don't know why they aren't granted because if you take someone on to cover the duty it would only be cost the same. Both those who had a career break came back. I believe in America in some companies after 20 years or so you get a paid career break which I think is a brilliant idea - it may not be 12 months but even if it was 3/6/months it's better than a fistful of Argos vouchers.mickeymacca wrote:http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... breaks.pdf
I have posted the link relating to career breaks. From what you have said DVB (albeit an abridged version I am sure) that would strike me as someone who is looking to keep her options open if her new life goes t'ts up, and so therefore the DOM may have thought it a non eligible reason for granting. You are also not allowed to work during a c/break.
'Libraries gave us power'