ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Chiropodist advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Chiropodist advice

Post by Theghost »

Hi,
Has anyone on here been treated by a chiropodist?
Just my feet are always aching now,Only 30 mins in and they are starting to ache,Im getting fed up with hobbling my way around.
No doubt many of you know this feeling well.
Are they worth seeing and how much would i be looking at?
Any advice appreciated :thumbup
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Chiropodist advice

Post by rhino49 »

See your GP first and they will point you in the right direction - unless it is your nails that are causing the problem you will get better advice and treatment from a podiatrist who specialise in structural damage to bones such as the ankle joints and tarsal bones as well as strain on the plantar muscles under the foot. I had plantar fasciitis and initially got relief through steroid injections but they don't last and shouldn't be administered too often - eventually sorted the problem with arch supports and ignoring RM's rules on not wearing own shoes.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
Villadaft
Posts: 77
Joined: 19 Nov 2010, 20:32
Gender: Male

Re: Chiropodist advice

Post by Villadaft »

I bet its plantar fasciitis pal, very painful. A little tip is to put a can in the freezer then roll your foot over it when you get home. Pure bliss
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Chiropodist advice

Post by Jamesethefirst »

One of the problems is probably the poor quality footwear, as was suggested above ignore the rules on using your own footwear, you shouldn't have to buy your own, however your feet must be looked after. See your G.P. To get a letter regarding footwear lay it on thick as in my experience G.P's hate a Royal Mail, you are covered in the event of an accident, don't give them any excuses to pull you up.
raincloud
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 18:00
Gender: Male

Re: Chiropodist advice

Post by raincloud »

I will keep it short, I ended up with pain which meant that when not working I had to lie down with my feet up all the time. That went on for months, do not put up with it.
Inform your manager and get him to refer you to OH assist (name use to be ATOS). Get a GP appointment, and get referred to a specialist. Your GP practice my do a self referral to a podiatrists (similar to a Chiropodist). You will get a phone interview from OH assist, tell them what treatment you are getting or waiting to be diagnosed and symptoms and how its effecting your ability to work. They will give a recommendation for what type of work you should do. My condition has still not been diagnose, I have been taken off a walking duty, keep your manager informed, do not deviate from OH assist recommendation, if the manager tries to change it, contact OH assist. This next bit is only my view and not a backed with a legal knowledge, if the manager gives you work when he knows of you condition and is outside OH assist advice then he is putting your health and safety at risk. There was a small hiccup with my situation and the manager said he could not give me certain work to do because he would then not be following RM policies or something similar. Do not put up with pain, taking pain killers is only hiding the pain and future complications. The situation I find my self in, is I would like to find new work to match my ability due to my condition, but no employer is going to employ someone with a unknown condition. I can not pack in RM as I need an income. I am not ill enough to be of work thankfully, extremely thankfully but I can not do certain work.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Chiropodist advice

Post by mickeymacca »

Villadaft wrote:I bet its plantar fasciitis pal, very painful. A little tip is to put a can in the freezer then roll your foot over it when you get home. Pure bliss
I had that very painful. I went to doctors had an injection in heel (even more painful), and have never suffered again. Its such an easy problem to rectify I would defo recommend going to Doctors anyone who experiences PF.
'Libraries gave us power'
johnsouthwales
Posts: 833
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 19:07
Gender: Male

Re: Chiropodist advice

Post by johnsouthwales »

some people may benefit from steroid injection, some don't. is it plantar fascilitis or tarsal tunnel syndrome? not much of a difference between the symptons until someone does research into it.. i find american websites are more detailed in research as uk medicine reckon everything comes from the back.

some gps don't like to inject as this could rupture..

sods law

PF nhs choices - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heel-pain/ ... ction.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PF wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tarsal Tunnel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarsal_tunnel_syndrome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

heel pain - netdoctor http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/heelpain.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

peripheral neuropathy - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Peripheral ... ction.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here comes avi cohen! oh i say! at the same end, he's got one back!!