ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

"I'll sign for it"

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

"I'll sign for it"

Post by weary_posty »

Just spent the best part of 20 minutes explaining to a lady why she cannot sign for and take a special in for her neighbour....

Apparently I have no common sense and the world has gone PC mad.

Also..."apparently" the other postman leaves them. I told her that's his choice to which she replied "well if he isn't meant to id better let his senior know"
I phoned the other posty to give him a heads up to which he is adamant he NEVER leaves specials.

Just goes to show how petit some people can be if things don't go their way...
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by rhino49 »

Just explain that the customer is "the sender" and it is they who require the signature from the person at the address
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

She has probably got Recorded/Signed For mixed up with Special - I wouldn't worry about it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by 5plusbonusball »

What if that signed for is a debt letter that the customer doesn't want , yet you've left it next door etc. I don't do neighbours because of that.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
leadseal
Posts: 44
Joined: 09 May 2007, 16:48

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by leadseal »

weary_posty wrote:Just spent the best part of 20 minutes explaining to a lady why she cannot sign for and take a special in for her neighbour....

Apparently I have no common sense and the world has gone PC mad.

Also..."apparently" the other postman leaves them. I told her that's his choice to which she replied "well if he isn't meant to id better let his senior know"
I phoned the other posty to give him a heads up to which he is adamant he NEVER leaves specials.

Just goes to show how petit some people can be if things don't go their way...
Exactly how small was she?
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by 5plusbonusball »

leadseal wrote:
weary_posty wrote:Just spent the best part of 20 minutes explaining to a lady why she cannot sign for and take a special in for her neighbour....

Apparently I have no common sense and the world has gone PC mad.

Also..."apparently" the other postman leaves them. I told her that's his choice to which she replied "well if he isn't meant to id better let his senior know"
I phoned the other posty to give him a heads up to which he is adamant he NEVER leaves specials.

Just goes to show how petit some people can be if things don't go their way...
Exactly how small was she?
He meant petty so stop taking the PEAS (petit pois) ! :Very Happy
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
ShropshireLad
Posts: 100
Joined: 09 Oct 2010, 17:02
Gender: Male

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by ShropshireLad »

I'm one of the few posties in my office who doesn't sign for specials, tracked, and recordeds, themselves, and put them through the door. They're mad.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by OnAFlyer »

ShropshireLad wrote:I'm one of the few posties in my office who doesn't sign for specials, tracked, and recordeds, themselves, and put them through the door. They're mad.
It only takes one complaint. Someone in a local office was sacked recently for signing for a recorded - the recipient didn't complain, the sender did. I assume he signed his own name or put postman or something on it.

Times have changed, no you should never have been doing it but most people used to. I remember on a walk I'd been doing for years I had a bulk posting of over 50 recordeds. Now obviously I wouldn't have dreamed of signing for the lot and posting them all.... :oops:

These days, don't leave yourself open to anything. RM are obviously looking to get rid of staff going by the stories of sackings for minor offences recently.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12178
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by SpacePhoenix »

ShropshireLad wrote:I'm one of the few posties in my office who doesn't sign for specials, tracked, and recordeds, themselves, and put them through the door. They're mad.
All that does is give RM rope to hang them with, RM could choose anyone of them to make an example of them
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by Indy »

weary_posty wrote:Just spent the best part of 20 minutes explaining to a lady why she cannot sign for and take a special in for her neighbour....
Wonder how many other posties would have time to spend 20 minutes explaining? I'd say Nope and be a cloud of dust up the road :nana
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by GT750rider »

" Times have changed, no you should never have been doing it but most people used to. I remember on a walk I'd been doing for years I had a bulk posting of over 50 recordeds. Now obviously I wouldn't have dreamed of signing for the lot and posting them all...."

I had the same one Saturday , although it was around 30, when the council numbered what were originally named houses. The bas**rds always do this kind of thing on a Saturday. I did the same as you.....
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by ewancurze »

I don't see why you can't sign recordeds yourself :nervous !! Surely, I know I am trustworthy rather than give them to a random neighbour?? :Very Happy
I don't do it though.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by fishtank »

ewancurze wrote:I don't see why you can't sign recordeds yourself :nervous !! Surely, I know I am trustworthy rather than give them to a random neighbour?? :Very Happy
I don't do it though.
I think it's a reasonable question to ask which is the more secure method, a postie signing for a recorded delivery letter and posting it through the door or allowing a neighbour to sign for and hold onto the item however the rules are the rules and we get paid to follow them.

The real answer is to do away with recorded letters altogether and replace them with a delivery notification tracked service. What does a scrawled mess on a PDA prove anyway if the customer says...wasn't me?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by Lounge Lizard »

fishtank wrote:
ewancurze wrote:I don't see why you can't sign recordeds yourself :nervous !! Surely, I know I am trustworthy rather than give them to a random neighbour?? :Very Happy
I don't do it though.
I think it's a reasonable question to ask which is the more secure method, a postie signing for a recorded delivery letter and posting it through the door or allowing a neighbour to sign for and hold onto the item however the rules are the rules and we get paid to follow them.

The real answer is to do away with recorded letters altogether and replace them with a delivery notification tracked service. What does a scrawled mess on a PDA prove anyway if the customer says...wasn't me?
Maybe, but a scrawled mess on a PDA proves enough for Special Deliveries. :Very Happy
simply_the_best
Posts: 594
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29

Re: "I'll sign for it"

Post by simply_the_best »

ewancurze wrote:I don't see why you can't sign recordeds yourself :nervous !! Surely, I know I am trustworthy rather than give them to a random neighbour?? :Very Happy
I don't do it though.


What if the recipient doesn't want the letter yet you've signed for it and then posted it?