ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rotational Week Cover

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
asimalone
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 14:03
Gender: Male

Rotational Week Cover

Post by asimalone »

I have a section to cover every week. My understanding is that I am responsible to cover the walk, Not the person. Very recently changes has been made and this person (duty holder) has opted (or has been made) to work from 7:30 to 03:30. This person does the extra delivery work to compensate the late start. When the person is off I am expected to do the same for the week but my hourse are 06:00 to 14:00. I might be wrong be wrong but my understanding is that I meant to cover the duty not the person. This person has chosen these arrangement and Now I am being forced to do what this person does when I am covering. Any informed inputs will be appreciated.
Thanks
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Rotational Week Cover

Post by Bahia Feliz »

asimalone wrote:I have a section to cover every week. My understanding is that I am responsible to cover the walk, Not the person. Very recently changes has been made and this person (duty holder) has opted (or has been made) to work from
7:30 to 03:30.
This person does the extra delivery work to compensate the late start. When the person is off I am expected to do the same for the week but my hourse are 06:00 to 14:00. I might be wrong be wrong but my understanding is that I meant to cover the duty not the person. This person has chosen these arrangement and Now I am being forced to do what this person does when I am covering. Any informed inputs will be appreciated.
Thanks
That's a long shift :crazy:
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Rotational Week Cover

Post by coxie »

If the person has asked for this for whatever reason then I wouldn't change my times. If the duty was designed like that from the start and you picked it then that's a different matter but from what you say that's not the case. I would speak to your rep ASAP if you've got one because I would stand my ground and point blank refuse.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Rotational Week Cover

Post by wabbithunta »

coxie wrote:If the person has asked for this for whatever reason then I wouldn't change my times. If the duty was designed like that from the start and you picked it then that's a different matter but from what you say that's not the case. I would speak to your rep ASAP if you've got one because I would stand my ground and point blank refuse.
Me too!
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
asimalone
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 14:03
Gender: Male

Re: Rotational Week Cover

Post by asimalone »

I have spoken to the union rep and he said that they can change my hours upon giving sufficient notice. In a nut shell he said that I got to do it whenever I cover my weekly rotation. If I refuse to do it then what potential arguments can I give in the support my argument. thanks
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: Rotational Week Cover

Post by trythat »

coxie wrote:If the person has asked for this for whatever reason then I wouldn't change my times. If the duty was designed like that from the start and you picked it then that's a different matter but from what you say that's not the case. I would speak to your rep ASAP if you've got one because I would stand my ground and point blank refuse.
Thats how I would expect it to work in my office as well.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Rotational Week Cover

Post by Surreypostie »

Assuming you are not on a rural, all duties are supposed to complete delivery by 3pm so I'd refuse on those grounds.