ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
veryn
Posts: 82
Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 09:10
Gender: Male

Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Post by veryn »

I normally rattle the gate to see if devil dog is in or out. (It barks very aggressively at me. )
Sometimes gate is closed but dog is indoors. When this happens, I go into the property and leave mail in porch , they have no letter box in door .

Yesterday, I gave the gate a good rattle, Devil dog comes charging up, barking.
Then angry owner comes up drive yelling at me, 'Don't rattle gate ,makes him worse!'

How else am I meant to know if dog is in or out? They could easily put a box on their gate ,I don't know why they don't.
Not spoken to manager yet but he will prob say to just bring mail back if im not sure?
I did say to the dogs owner that I find the dog intimidating to which he had no reply .
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

veryn wrote:I normally rattle the gate to see if devil dog is in or out. (It barks very aggressively at me. )
Sometimes gate is closed but dog is indoors. When this happens, I go into the property and leave mail in porch , they have no letter box in door .

Yesterday, I gave the gate a good rattle, Devil dog comes charging up, barking.
Then angry owner comes up drive yelling at me, 'Don't rattle gate ,makes him worse!'

How else am I meant to know if dog is in or out? They could easily put a box on their gate ,I don't know why they don't.
Not spoken to manager yet but he will prob say to just bring mail back if im not sure?
I did say to the dogs owner that I find the dog intimidating to which he had no reply .

Yes if not sure bring mail back, also if porch door open the bring the mail back also if no one answers inner door
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Post by Himaggen »

If you have identified a hazard and completed/returned a route hazard card, (P3907), then your Manager should have entered the data into WRAP and sent the owners of that property a letter informing them that they need to take measures to remove/reduce that hazard. (there are standard and agreed/approved letters for this). You do not take risks with your safety, do not enter that gate unless you are sure that by doing so you can leave unharmed.

Regardless of the hazard, that recipient does not have a delivery point. If the porch door is open you cannot leave their mail inside and if the porch door is closed you cannot open it!
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Post by postslippete »

How about customers that leave a sign on the gate saying:


Beware of the dog / Dogs running free / DOG WILL BITE


I reckon I would be bringing back at least 10% of the mail everyday!!!

And if that staffie/rottweiller/huskie's out then thats half a loop of mail being brought back to the office lol :whistle


It might be a bit busier tomorrow though....
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

postslippete wrote: And if that staffie/rottweiller/huskie's out then thats half a loop of mail being brought back to the office lol :whistle


It might be a bit busier tomorrow though....
Been there and got the T-shirt.

To be honest rather have a busier next day, than be getting stiched up or worse, no more next days at all. Endorse, inform the manager, let the resident live with the consequences of dog ownership not you.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rick184
Posts: 62
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10

Re: Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Post by rick184 »

If the dog is loose bring the Mail back. Dom can print a letter from the intranet asking the customer to provide a box or collect from the DO.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Post by postslippete »

rick184 wrote:If the dog is loose bring the Mail back. Dom can print a letter from the intranet asking the customer to provide a box or collect from the DO.

But are you going to be posting that letter whilst the dog is still there??


I do believe that when any member of staff is bitten by a dog then all the customers mail in future should be collected from the DO....and as yet a lot of lino's are not adhering to this policy :speak to the hand
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Dogs/ Rattling the gate

Post by bigcol »

postslippete wrote:But are you going to be posting that letter whilst the dog is still there??
Manager's job. :cuppa