ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
advice needed knee issue
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
advice needed knee issue
Hi all ive been off since the beginning of june with right knee pain I tried to go back on a rehab plan after 2 weeks but was unable to cope with it and have been off since. Ive just been diagnosed by the orthopaedic specialist as having patellofemoral pain syndrome and been referred for physio and a steroid injection im waiting for a phone call from oh assist to discuss this with them and my dom has been on leave so have not had a chance to talk with him either im just wondering if anyone has this as well as im wondering how this will be managed with going back onto delivery or if they would be looking at medical retirement which I really don't want as I enjoy the job once im out the office, ive notified my union rep of the condition and my current sickness certificate is until the 11th sept. Any advice would be gratefully received as long as its helpful lol
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: advice needed knee issue
Well I don't know how helpful this will be but I damaged my knee on duty and didn't report it because I thought it would improve. Anyway cut a long story short I went indoors for a couple of weeks and it felt better so I went back on delivery for approximately 15 minutes and the knee went again.kirstyx wrote:Hi all ive been off since the beginning of june with right knee pain I tried to go back on a rehab plan after 2 weeks but was unable to cope with it and have been off since. Ive just been diagnosed by the orthopaedic specialist as having patellofemoral pain syndrome and been referred for physio and a steroid injection im waiting for a phone call from oh assist to discuss this with them and my dom has been on leave so have not had a chance to talk with him either im just wondering if anyone has this as well as im wondering how this will be managed with going back onto delivery or if they would be looking at medical retirement which I really don't want as I enjoy the job once im out the office, ive notified my union rep of the condition and my current sickness certificate is until the 11th sept. Any advice would be gratefully received as long as its helpful lol
The physio didn't help and it was decided by the specialist that I would need a replacement but I would have to wait until I was 60, which has long gone and I haven't yet had one yet. I can manage to walk OK but stairs and getting up from a kneeling position is painful so my advice would be if they decide a new knee is in order be braver than I am.
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: advice needed knee issue
Luckily ive been told that I dont need a operation but I can understand not wanting one I got myself so worked up about possibly having one that when the surgeon said no I didnt need one I cried lol i was so relieved.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: advice needed knee issue
kirstyx wrote:Luckily ive been told that I dont need a operation but I can understand not wanting one I got myself so worked up about possibly having one that when the surgeon said no I didnt need one I cried lol i was so relieved.
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: advice needed knee issue
This sounds very familor to me!
Since late 2012 I have had painful knees which started gradually and got worse. First swelling and difficulty in bending down. Them pain when cycling and going up stairs. I have taken painkillers and been both to the doctors and used both an NHS & private physio. I keep getting palmed off and although I have stuck it out at work with a week or so sick a while back cannot see it clearing up. Not keen on the operation (which they say I can't have for about 8 years). And two people at my office are even worse off since they had work on their knees! One has now left after 5 months off sick, and the other went off sick again after two days back at work. This is the kind of H&S issue that RM should be concerned about!
kirstyx- Glad they don't think you need a knee replacement. But apart from the steroid injection and physio what else are they suggesting?
Since late 2012 I have had painful knees which started gradually and got worse. First swelling and difficulty in bending down. Them pain when cycling and going up stairs. I have taken painkillers and been both to the doctors and used both an NHS & private physio. I keep getting palmed off and although I have stuck it out at work with a week or so sick a while back cannot see it clearing up. Not keen on the operation (which they say I can't have for about 8 years). And two people at my office are even worse off since they had work on their knees! One has now left after 5 months off sick, and the other went off sick again after two days back at work. This is the kind of H&S issue that RM should be concerned about!
kirstyx- Glad they don't think you need a knee replacement. But apart from the steroid injection and physio what else are they suggesting?
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: advice needed knee issue
Thats all they've said so far the dr did say if I didn't respond then they would go down the operation route and that it would be quite complicated but nothing beyond that. I did get a letter today feom my dom wanting to see me on Wednesday I may get some sort of answers then with luck.
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: advice needed knee issue
Do not agree to go in to see the DOM, they most certainly are not in a position to make responsible decisions about your current capabilities or the long term effects of undertaking them.
You've already stated that you are currently under a Doctor's Certificate for almost another month and that you are still waiting for your OH Assist telephone call. Take the referral call, ask for all their advice to be posted out to you, speak to your own medical professionals with regards that advice, then arrange a mutually agreeable meeting with your DOM.
You've already stated that you are currently under a Doctor's Certificate for almost another month and that you are still waiting for your OH Assist telephone call. Take the referral call, ask for all their advice to be posted out to you, speak to your own medical professionals with regards that advice, then arrange a mutually agreeable meeting with your DOM.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: advice needed knee issue
you will come out with something you didn't go in with.....namely a brand new colbalt chrome kneedvbuk55 wrote:kirstyx wrote:Luckily ive been told that I dont need a operation but I can understand not wanting one I got myself so worked up about possibly having one that when the surgeon said no I didnt need one I cried lol i was so relieved.I can understand that only too well, although I didn't cry when he said about a new knee, I decided I wouldn't have it done in case I came out with something I didn't go in with
Hopefully you'll soon be on the mend and back to normal.
-
Dee Plish
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:05
- Gender: Male
- Location: Atop many steps
Re: advice needed knee issue
Had similar several years ago. Had an arthroscopy (keyhole surgery) which was ok for a few years. ATOS were fine about it. 3 1/2 years later, the old trouble flared up. All due to wear and tear on deliveries. Had MRI scan, another arthroscopy but was told any more trouble after that and a replacement knee would be the only option. With ATOS / CWU help , have been on indoor work since without major problems apart from the odd bit of jip and osteo-arthritis. After the 2nd op return to work interview with lie(n) manager was a farce, what with him knowing more than ATOS, a GP and a consultant and contradicting them all with his ZERO medical qualifications. Tried to give me a stage 2 that was littered with some much rubbish, elementary mistakes, ignorance of anything related to DDA/Equality Act and complete lack of comprehension of the facts in hand it was unreal. CWU laughed when they read it and said it would be the easiest employment tribunal case they've ever had. Went through grievance procedure, got to stage 2 and sector manager wiped it off my sick record completely so as not to get battered at a tribunal.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: advice needed knee issue
I asked the dom for a breakdown of knee back and shoulder injury since the introduction of P&L on our office, it gained an instant reply of " injuries are down across the board." One person left IVR, one just had knee replacement (in their 40's BTW) one awaiting knee surgery. Seven with back injury, one of facing surgery and three with shoulder injury, two of them having ongoing physio... Foot and ankle not counted yet. 
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: advice needed knee issue
I believe that the criteria has changed. The assumption was that the new joint would last 10 years which would take you to 70 and you would probably have snuffed it before you needed another. I do know you can have it done sooner now.daveyeff wrote:you will come out with something you didn't go in with.....namely a brand new colbalt chrome kneedvbuk55 wrote:kirstyx wrote:Luckily ive been told that I dont need a operation but I can understand not wanting one I got myself so worked up about possibly having one that when the surgeon said no I didnt need one I cried lol i was so relieved.I can understand that only too well, although I didn't cry when he said about a new knee, I decided I wouldn't have it done in case I came out with something I didn't go in with
Hopefully you'll soon be on the mend and back to normal.
...don't know why they told you to wait till you were 60.? I got both mine done when I was 53/54.
-
ripio
- Posts: 233
- Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
- Gender: Male
Re: advice needed knee issue
Patellofemoral pain syndrome is usually fairly easily treated and resolved by a good physio.
Usual therapy is stretching exercises for the quads and hamstrings, plus strengthening exercises for the vastus medialis muscle.
Surgery of any kind should be a last resort.
Usual therapy is stretching exercises for the quads and hamstrings, plus strengthening exercises for the vastus medialis muscle.
Surgery of any kind should be a last resort.
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: advice needed knee issue
But does anyone know how it should be managed by rm and my managers luckily they know that im not shy and am fully prepared to stand up for myself and have done so in the past.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: advice needed knee issue
It sounds like youve done everything right
1. Got the doctors sick note
2. Have told rm manager/s of steroid injection
3. told them of any physio planned?
4. contacted OH assist
Incidently, if your DOMs off then someone else may take your back to work interview once you're nearly off rehab (again?). You will have your opportunity to tell them everything you've done whilst you are off work.
1. Got the doctors sick note
2. Have told rm manager/s of steroid injection
3. told them of any physio planned?
4. contacted OH assist
Incidently, if your DOMs off then someone else may take your back to work interview once you're nearly off rehab (again?). You will have your opportunity to tell them everything you've done whilst you are off work.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: advice needed knee issue
Check out the new attendance agreement that should help. http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=54413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Page 8 is the start for long term absences.kirstyx wrote:But does anyone know how it should be managed by rm and my managers luckily they know that im not shy and am fully prepared to stand up for myself and have done so in the past.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.