ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Time off to look after baby

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
brasseye
Posts: 69
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 09:58
Gender: Male

Time off to look after baby

Post by brasseye »

My wife is sick at the moment and I have to take time off to look after our baby.
Is this classed as sick leave ? Will I get paid ?
Thanks
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by rehabron »

brasseye wrote:My wife is sick at the moment and I have to take time off to look after our baby.
Is this classed as sick leave ? Will I get paid ?
Thanks
No it should be taken as SPECIAL LEAVE as urgent domestic distress and can be paid or unpaid dependant on managers discretion.
Manager may wish your time off to be deducted from your annual leave.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by rehabron »

Further to my posting it is possible to have in exceptional circumstances 3 days paid leave and again at mangers discretion and the reason given on the special leave form.
brasseye
Posts: 69
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by brasseye »

Thanks for the response, if it's at their discretion I won't get bugger all then.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by rehabron »

brasseye wrote:Thanks for the response, if it's at their discretion I won't get bugger all then.
don't be put off from applying. Request a special leave form and give the reasons why you have requested this and wait to see what the response is.
nationally there will have been other colleagues who at some time or another been in a similar situation to yourself and may have received paid special leave so if you are treated differently then there are other avenues to explore.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by centenaryman »

yeah best of luck mate and alls well soon......ive been unlucky and had my mrs ill.....ive had to take the odd day here and there over a few years,,to see me little kids are looked after,,,they ask me to take it as annual leave....if I don't I just get special leave and without pay
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by koolishy67 »

I took it last year unpaid special leave.
monkeymutha
Posts: 317
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
Gender: Female
Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by monkeymutha »

One days special leave unpaid for me to look after sick child. Manager tried to get me to take it as sick leave, if I had I would be on a stage one by now.
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by Brain Fury »

Can't it be taken as annual leave?
Throgg
Posts: 255
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 17:00
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Re: Time off to look after baby

Post by Throgg »

My wife is sick at the moment and I have to take time off to look after our baby.
Is this classed as sick leave ? Will I get paid ?
Thanks
Here's a link to your rights, hope it helps

https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/your-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;