ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
longs and shorts
-
elverly
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 18:21
- Gender: Male
longs and shorts
hi folks
our manager is going to make us do longs and shorts i.e start later Tuesdays and finish later during the week
is this a breach of our pay and conditions agreement with vince cable?
our manager is going to make us do longs and shorts i.e start later Tuesdays and finish later during the week
is this a breach of our pay and conditions agreement with vince cable?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: longs and shorts
elverly wrote:hi folks
our manager is going to make us do longs and shorts i.e start later Tuesdays and finish later during the week
is this a breach of our pay and conditions agreement with vince cable?
Longs and shorts is voluntary, and we don't have a pay and conditions agreement with vince cable
-
elverly
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 18:21
- Gender: Male
Re: longs and shorts
sorry ok the government
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: longs and shorts
we dont even have an agreement with themelverly wrote:sorry ok the government
-
rick184
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10
Re: longs and shorts
Believe attendance time are not contractual but subject to local agreement.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: longs and shorts
Where in the Pay and Modernisation Agreement does it say that Longs and Shorts are voluntary?zx135 wrote:elverly wrote:hi folks
our manager is going to make us do longs and shorts i.e start later Tuesdays and finish later during the week
is this a breach of our pay and conditions agreement with vince cable?
Longs and shorts is voluntary, and we don't have a pay and conditions agreement with vince cable
-
redheadedwoman
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 14:58
- Gender: Female
Re: longs and shorts
Your manager can not make you do this without the full involvement of the local cwu rep and an office ballot on acceptance of these new changes to your working week as far as I am aware.elverly wrote:hi folks
our manager is going to make us do longs and shorts i.e start later Tuesdays and finish later during the week
is this a breach of our pay and conditions agreement with vince cable?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: longs and shorts
I don't believe its voluntary, however it can be disagreed and the CWU members can vote on whether to accept it or not. They may try to impose it with Executive Action, but that's against AFG2014.Lincox wrote:Where in the Pay and Modernisation Agreement does it say that Longs and Shorts are voluntary?zx135 wrote:elverly wrote:hi folks
our manager is going to make us do longs and shorts i.e start later Tuesdays and finish later during the week
is this a breach of our pay and conditions agreement with vince cable?
Longs and shorts is voluntary, and we don't have a pay and conditions agreement with vince cable
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: longs and shorts
To be quite honest TB I am amazed that there are still units that are not already on Longs and Shorts bearing in mind Monday, Tuesday and sometimes Saturday, are lighter days than Wednesday through Friday.
What reasonable objection could the members raise when the CWU have already agreed to the idea of Longs and Shorts in a previous agreement to which the national membership voted upon and agreed.
Don,t get me wrong, I am not all for this and objected vigorously when a previous manager of mine attempted to impose this on me individually when I notified him that I would be working to my time. We have now had this in the office for a couple of years and it has worked reasonably well until just recently when the current manager has reduced the times for Tuesday to such an extent that now he is also imposing lapsing on a Tuesday there is no time to do it, whereas the time added on to Wednesday, Thursday and Friday is to long and generally we are finishing a tad early. This was done to cut down on overtime on Wednesday through Friday which it has done but he has dropped a clanger with his lapsing.
What reasonable objection could the members raise when the CWU have already agreed to the idea of Longs and Shorts in a previous agreement to which the national membership voted upon and agreed.
Don,t get me wrong, I am not all for this and objected vigorously when a previous manager of mine attempted to impose this on me individually when I notified him that I would be working to my time. We have now had this in the office for a couple of years and it has worked reasonably well until just recently when the current manager has reduced the times for Tuesday to such an extent that now he is also imposing lapsing on a Tuesday there is no time to do it, whereas the time added on to Wednesday, Thursday and Friday is to long and generally we are finishing a tad early. This was done to cut down on overtime on Wednesday through Friday which it has done but he has dropped a clanger with his lapsing.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: longs and shorts
I agree with you Lincox, we've been on Longs and Shorts for at least 6 years now, and I am surprised that there are offices out there that have Tuesdays working day timings the same as Thursdays and Fridays. in Fact we used the chance of going on to L&S to get earlier starts and shorter Saturdays.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Captain Scarlet
- Posts: 322
- Joined: 02 Jul 2007, 15:23
- Location: Fifer
Re: longs and shorts
Same thing has happened in our office, have not lapsed since recent revision (nearly8 weeks).Now he is looking to move the finishing times again cos to much o/t is going in on the 'tight' daysLincox wrote:To be quite honest TB I am amazed that there are still units that are not already on Longs and Shorts bearing in mind Monday, Tuesday and sometimes Saturday, are lighter days than Wednesday through Friday.
What reasonable objection could the members raise when the CWU have already agreed to the idea of Longs and Shorts in a previous agreement to which the national membership voted upon and agreed.
Don,t get me wrong, I am not all for this and objected vigorously when a previous manager of mine attempted to impose this on me individually when I notified him that I would be working to my time. We have now had this in the office for a couple of years and it has worked reasonably well until just recently when the current manager has reduced the times for Tuesday to such an extent that now he is also imposing lapsing on a Tuesday there is no time to do it, whereas the time added on to Wednesday, Thursday and Friday is to long and generally we are finishing a tad early. This was done to cut down on overtime on Wednesday through Friday which it has done but he has dropped a clanger with his lapsing.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: longs and shorts
I've worked longs and shorts, gone to flat days and reverted to longs and shorts and I have to say flat 7h 48 days would be my preference.
Start at the same time each day (don't have to change the alarm) and finish at the same time each day.
It also does away with the problem of reserves working more of the longer days etc.
It also ensures there is sufficient time in the Tuesday for 30 minutes WTLL.
Actually now I think about it I f***ing hate longs and shorts.
Start at the same time each day (don't have to change the alarm) and finish at the same time each day.
It also does away with the problem of reserves working more of the longer days etc.
It also ensures there is sufficient time in the Tuesday for 30 minutes WTLL.
Actually now I think about it I f***ing hate longs and shorts.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
bigcol
- Posts: 404
- Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: Officially the worst DO
Re: longs and shorts
Checked my record from when I was a reserve; used to get a lot more long days than shorts off.clashcityrocker wrote:It also does away with the problem of reserves working more of the longer days etc.