ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Annual Leave????
-
SammyR20
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 22:35
- Gender: Male
Annual Leave????
I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year, I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with) he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year, I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with) he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.
ask your manager when you can book your leave, he must allow you to take it at some point between now and next april, also next years annual leave should be just about to be sorted out, it is supposed to be in place for october 2014 for april15/16
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: Annual Leave????
sorry for the edit, but helps to read itSammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start,
I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could,
I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them,
my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered.
Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request.
Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??,
I have worked for RM since November last year, I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with) he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me,
I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off,
it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
For a start don't work your day off.SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year, I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with) he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sickMy wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.and always do holiday cover etc on my days off.
-
SammyR20
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 22:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
Am only on 24 hr contract so don't mind helping them out on the Mon/Tues just seems to be all what they need and nothing in return, unfortunately all appointments etc have fallen on work days, Sod's law I think it's called
-
Jamesethefirst
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
Will these idiots ever realise why sick leave is so high? I am not advocating you go sick, however it is all one way traffic with the management of this organisation and you can see why people go sick. If your wife has a serious illness you have a right to be with her. Family friendly? Don't make me laugh.
-
SammyR20
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 22:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
Exactly what the wife said about the sick leave, don't want that on my record but does make you wonder why others are always off.Jamesethefirst wrote:Will these idiots ever realise why sick leave is so high? I am not advocating you go sick, however it is all one way traffic with the management of this organisation and you can see why people go sick. If your wife has a serious illness you have a right to be with her. Family friendly? Don't make me laugh.
-
SammyR20
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 22:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
korky wrote:sorry for the edit, but helps to read itSammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start,
I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could,
I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them,
my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered.
Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request.
Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??,
I have worked for RM since November last year, I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with) he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me,
I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off,
it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.
Thanks, it was a bit long winded
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
How can you have your own round and half of another round?SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year,he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with)
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: Annual Leave????
as for the fixed holidays, i guess the majority was booked before you started, ours don't go on seniority, it's on a rolling group rota, but march is extremely late to book for the year ahead,
we will book ours in sept/oct for the following year (apr15-mar16)
re the situation with your wife
and getting annual leave in this situation, that stinks, pretty sure you can force leave (unpaid or paid) in this situation.
btw, no matter how good you are, how much o't you do, you are just a number, throw a sicky in future, you'll probably feel better if you get away with it
if your oppo postie gives you grief over speed take your break at a different time to him on purpose, he's a w@nker or just blow him a kiss!
we will book ours in sept/oct for the following year (apr15-mar16)
re the situation with your wife
btw, no matter how good you are, how much o't you do, you are just a number, throw a sicky in future, you'll probably feel better if you get away with it
if your oppo postie gives you grief over speed take your break at a different time to him on purpose, he's a w@nker or just blow him a kiss!
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
Do the management know that these flats are going undelivered for 2 days a week?SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year, I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with), I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Annual Leave????
I think he says he can't do them, but can when he has to.Bahia Feliz wrote: Do the management know that these flats are going undelivered for 2 days a week?
It doesn't mean the mail doesn't get delivered.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
Sorry mate. But the first day your colleague moaned about having to wait, should' have been the last day you helped him out.
Know what you mean about the holidays though, been at RM five months, yet to have a conversation with line-managers about annual leave. Been told by colleagues that all leave is booked till next year. Asked for one day off last month and got refused. No idea what the official RM script is.
Know what you mean about the holidays though, been at RM five months, yet to have a conversation with line-managers about annual leave. Been told by colleagues that all leave is booked till next year. Asked for one day off last month and got refused. No idea what the official RM script is.
-
SammyR20
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 22:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
The person I van share with has a bad knee so insists that I take his flats (82 of them) he doesn't do it to others when I'm not there but I don't want to go complaining to my manager and make things awkward as I am happy with what is my round and prefer that to be doing different ones day in day out.Bahia Feliz wrote:How can you have your own round and half of another round?SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year,he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with)
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual Leave????
speak to your union rep, he may be able to sort it out informallySammyR20 wrote:The person I van share with has a bad knee so insists that I take his flats (82 of them) he doesn't do it to others when I'm not there but I don't want to go complaining to my manager and make things awkward as I am happy with what is my round and prefer that to be doing different ones day in day out.Bahia Feliz wrote:How can you have your own round and half of another round?SammyR20 wrote:I have a question about annual leave, I am aware that majority of annual leave needs to be booked in advance when new year for holidays start, I have booked my weeks holiday back in March but had to wait until other posties (older) have had their pick first then told what weeks are available to me etc, I'm fine with that and booked what I could, I still have 15 days holiday available this year and there are no free weeks in which to take them, my wife is going mental over things that I have missed because my office won't let me have the odd day when needed, I don't just mean days when I like but for example my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor in January and I have not been able to attend her hospital treatments or be at home for the children as my manager always says he can't get the round covered. Another example Is that my son (aged 11) will be signing a pro club football contract this coming weekend and again even though I asked 3 weeks ago they have waited until today to refuse my request. Can you imagine the reaction of my wife??, I have worked for RM since November last year,he says he can't do stairs in the flats ( no one else does it for him on the 2 days that I'm not there) then he moans that he finishes first and has to wait for me, I have never been late or sick and always do holiday cover etc on my days off. My wife says that there should be lea way for family circumstance and is constantly giving me grief over the days off, it's only been about 3 days that I have needed all in all but all been refused. Wondered what people's views were on this, thanks.I have my own round (and half of the postie's that I van share with)