ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working O/T on rest week off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Working O/T on rest week off

Post by music4essex »

Hi , just need some advice,
usually in my office posties are allowed to work there day off or waddington week on o/t any day, which ever they choose

last week was my Waddingtons week, The previous Saturday before I went of wally week , I asked the dom if I could come in the following saturday to work my duty on Overtime. The person on my duty for that week, would revert back to his normal duty that he does normally for the saturday only.
My Manager agreed this, saying it would do him a favour if I did .

On the thursaday I recieved a letter to say that the person who was covering my duty would not come off the futy on saturday, which left me losing out on 8hr o/t which i was not happy about , I rang the manager and said that this was not right as we had agreed it , he said I know but could not do anything about it .
He replied I would have to get our new local reps involved , I dont see why as I am capable of defending myself .

The way I see it is I am being disavantage against as this is my only source of O/T, no one else has been told any different , and only the week before saw persons come in on saturday only to do there own walks on o/T.

I. Should the Overtime stood for me to do as what had been agreed.
2. the person who covers my duty is not a floater. he has his own P/L

only I can see this kicking off next week as I am not a happy person Thanks Essex mum
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Sorry but when you are on a day/week off then the duty isn't yours, its the person who is due to be covering that delivery, duty.

Your manager is at fault asking you before he asked the person covering if it was okay to move him for the day, but the other OPG is well within their rights to refuse to move on that day.

When I am asked to work my day off, I always check with my day off cover and if he is not willing to move then I either refuse, or volunteer to do the duty the manager was going to move them to.


:sad: :sad: :sad:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by Chelseablue »

God bt you're a gent compared to the greedy selfish ppl in my place. Every week I see ppl work day off ,floater gets moved every week .
celerycelery
Posts: 675
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 16:44

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by celerycelery »

How can they have their own duty if they cover yours? I get annoyed if they move me onto another walk when I walk through the door as the normal duty holder will only work their own duty on day off. Got to check with day off cover first if they don't mind.
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by ganda »

Sorry but your duty had been allocated to the individual concerned, you were officially off. When your off, it's not your duty. If you needed the money you should of been offered the duty that you wanted the postie on your duty to take. Why were you not offered that?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

music4essex wrote: and only the week before saw persons come in on saturday only to do there own walks on o/T.
The person who was displaced for that to happen would have cause to complain if they wished, obviously the person who has done it to you has complained about being unhappy to be moved(rightly unfortunately)
music4essex wrote:I. Should the Overtime stood for me to do as what had been agreed.
No as it was never agreed with the person who was scheduled to work the duty that day
music4essex wrote:2. the person who covers my duty is not a floater. he has his own P/L
Floater or not it was his duty that day, he had every right to complain about being moved
music4essex wrote:only I can see this kicking off next week as I am not a happy person Thanks Essex mum
be unhappy with the manager by all means, but the person who was moved was within his right to not be messed about getting shifted about etc it happens to floaters all the time, most times they just move to keep the peace but at the end of the day who ever is scheduled for the duty on the day its their duty, regular floater or reserve or anyone else for that matter
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by Judgee »

If he was listed to do that duty for that day then it is his choice to stay on it. Why could you not cover another duty after all it was you who wanted the overtime so why should someone else suffer just to make you happy? :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by enskied »

" which left me losing out on 8hr o/t which i was not happy about ."
Thought they were only supposed to offer 6 hours anyway... No wonder you are p***ed off losing all that special treatment.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by Chelseablue »

Happy to s hit on someone for you're own greed ,,great guy not
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by music4essex »

losing all that special treatment.
, It was not special treatment , as I dont do any other o/t which only started 5 weeks back , if you see my post i am not the only person that comes in on there time off in my office to do there own duties

The other person is not a floater who was to be dispalced he has his own duty see original post ,

If what I have read you said i cannot do the o/t then on my time off ok , but this will have to be done across the whole office

Lastly when i return to my duty and find a lot of work left that he usually leaves behind which then makes me go over , i will expct fireworks to fly, apart from money reasons , as i needed it , I very rarely do o/t . DDA stops me from doing full walks that is why I do Driving .

I have taken on board some of you comments Thanks Essex mum
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

music4essex wrote:
If what I have read you said i cannot do the o/t then on my time off ok , but this will have to be done across the whole office

Lastly when i return to my duty and find a lot of work left that he usually leaves behind which then makes me go over , i will expct fireworks to fly
All that needs to be done across the office is that the dom asks the person on the duty if they will move

Also your dispute is not with this person just the way the dom handled it, if work is being left then just make sure the person leaving it is inform the dom that he can't complete in the time allowed then you do the same with any work that means you can complete, no need for fireworks or people falling out over it, especially when the other postie is in the right
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by music4essex »

Also your dispute is not with this person just the way the dom handled it, if work is being left then just make sure the person leaving it is inform the dom that he can't complete in the time allowed then you do the same with any work that means you can complete, no need for fireworks or people falling out over it, especially when the other postie is in the right

Yes you are right he can say he will not come off the duty, I was unsure :oops:

But there is enough time in the duty to do the work on a saturday, but come monday as we have shorter working day, there is not enough time as quite often I only finish in time myself ,after taking out as much of the firms duty on a saturday as i can When i do the duty 5 weeks out of 6

But when i come back from having the single sat off or the sat from the waddingtons week which he covers I go over which happened today again, special was left in the guise of sat retention ,when the actual firm had been open (,but not the time he flies round ) Recorded delivery left , firms mail All these could have been delivered , That is why i wanted to go in ,not just for the O/T ,but because I am fed up covering for him ,which I have done for the last 8 months .




Essex mum
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by PhilthyPhil »

Surely a duty holder (rest day cover or walk holder) can not refuse to move to another duty/walk as it would be a reasonable instruction from their manager to move? Assuming they are trained on the duty they are being moved to.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Working O/T on rest week off

Post by fishtank »

PhilthyPhil wrote:Surely a duty holder (rest day cover or walk holder) can not refuse to move to another duty/walk as it would be a reasonable instruction from their manager to move? Assuming they are trained on the duty they are being moved to.
In what way would "I need you to move so that someone else can do it on overtime" be considered a reasonable instruction/business requirement?

The reasonable course of action would be to cover the vacant duty either by a reserve or on overtime, whether the OP fancied doing that would be immaterial, someone would.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share