ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Full of selfish people
-
lilmiss123
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 24 Jan 2014, 20:12
- Gender: Female
Full of selfish people
I've only worked for the Royal Mail a couple of months ..... But can't believe how selfish people are, people at our office care about them selfs and that's it. I'm now beginning to hate going to work purely coz of the people there. I love the job it's easy and good money. But it rly is getting me down now :(
-
Rudolph_Hucker
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sorry but you don't have the necessary security clearance.
Re: Full of selfish people
Couldn't agree more. I was expecting some team spirit, helping each other, being available for one another but hardly any of it.
There were two posties in my office out of about fifty who helped and went the extra mile for me. The rest wouldn't help an iota.
I've worked in a sales environment where we were in direct competition with each, self employed and with tens of thousands of pounds at stake and people would still help each other.
Shame on a lot of posties!
There were two posties in my office out of about fifty who helped and went the extra mile for me. The rest wouldn't help an iota.
I've worked in a sales environment where we were in direct competition with each, self employed and with tens of thousands of pounds at stake and people would still help each other.
Shame on a lot of posties!
If you do a job too well, you’ll get stuck with it.
-
beezet
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
didn't used to be like that, when i first started 16 years ago we used to help each other, now it seems every man for themselves, i try and help the new starts but they have put so much on your round now ,most days i have a hard job getting my own round done on time, even last week asked DOM i would help but it would mean i would have O/T, he told me to leave her and get out on my walk.
Last edited by beezet on 11 Aug 2014, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
-
newtimes
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
I am interested in your point about the job is easy, look at the many posters who are struggling through the work load. At present, I have an easy duty compared to the majority, I have tried helping an other postie who is struggling through work load, so we both finish on time and did it openly. Many other posties got bitter that I was doing that and was advised to stop. RM is badly managed and this has created a toxic place to work and brings out the dark side of some people. Saying this I have talked to other people outside RM and they experience the same attitude within their workplace, society is changing and not for the better.lilmiss123 wrote:I've only worked for the Royal Mail a couple of months ..... But can't believe how selfish people are, people at our office care about them selfs and that's it. I'm now beginning to hate going to work purely coz of the people there. I love the job it's easy and good money. But it rly is getting me down now :(
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
Nail-head. It is amazing how much society has changed over the last decade or so to become more and more selfish. Is it the me me me generation growing up and becoming more noticeable and perhaps influencing others?newtimes wrote: society is changing and not for the better.
Oh and OP, if you have a reasonable duty and enjoy it then just try and stick with it.
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: Full of selfish people
Wow judging what people have written my office must be a major exception when I started I was overweight and really struggled for about 2 months getting my fitness level up and everyone in the office was very supportive and encouraging and wven now with new starters most of the office introduces themselves and we have nights out together as well we all have a laugh. Admittedly there are a few grumps inthe office but only about 5 people max im currently off with a knee injury since beginning of june and I keep getting messages and stopped when im out asking how im doing. There are good offices out there the worst part of our office is the knobhead managers
-
ratchet
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
- Gender: Male
- Location: Buggered off to France
Re: Full of selfish people
I find the ratio split roughly
1/3rd are terrific
1/3 are OK
1/3 are back stabbing gits who will go running to the DOM and grass on people (particularly on newbies) at every opportunity.
1/3rd are terrific
1/3 are OK
1/3 are back stabbing gits who will go running to the DOM and grass on people (particularly on newbies) at every opportunity.
I am no longer a number :-)
-
Kings Norton
- Posts: 320
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
Same at my office and the Union rep is the first culprit, booked off most match days this season sod anyone else.
-
mlw
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 12 Sep 2013, 21:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
same here in fact phg and dom dont even acknowledge you in the morning vast majority cant be bothered to say good morning and unless youve been their 20 years some wont even look at you!!Kings Norton wrote:Same at my office and the Union rep is the first culprit, booked off most match days this season sod anyone else.
-
dazzlin72
- Posts: 321
- Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 13:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
Seems to becoming a common theme in offices. All it will lead to is bullying between colleagues, rather than from management.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: Full of selfish people
I'm coming up to two years with RM and have experienced much the same as others. The 1/3, 1/3, 1.3 split is about right, there are people in my office that I have never spoken to and don't even know their name! A few months after I joined I started to make a point of speaking to any newbies I saw and at least have them know that not everyone was going to ignore them.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
We have a good friendly office, for the most part we all get along well enough. There has been a noticeable change in attitude since 2010 though. I believe it is due mainly to the dreadful attitude of management from that time until now. Where we would jump in and help out a duty that was struggling with prep, most now see it as doing management a favour and there is very little if any goodwill for them.
-
edbling
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 09:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
i'm finally out. 20 years service. Gone on to pastures new. No more bullying from managers punishing people who are good at their jobs. Good luck to you all!
-
Lazycarton
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
Seems to me that the ethos in RM is :-
You are a nobody
You will never be anybody
Who are you?
Do you work here?
What? He's gone....who was he anyway....
You are a nobody
You will never be anybody
Who are you?
Do you work here?
What? He's gone....who was he anyway....
-
Nigel1505
- Posts: 409
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Full of selfish people
its every man/woman for themselves. DOM's are under so much pressure they don't know what to do half of the time. They lean on those who will help out and those who say no, they just let them get away with whatever "they" want to do, or not do . It all boils down to the fact RM don't have managers with any man management experience and just employ anybody who applies, regardless if they have the aptitude for the job. Our DOM is not to bad but cannot stand up to anyone with a strong character and just backs down and piles it on anybody else who will oblige. I haven't met a manager in my 7 years with RM who would last a week in my old employment in the food industry, they have no go in them to get the job done, they just disappear into the office and close the door and hope the problems go away.