Hi
Have been offered 25 hour 6 month contract at a delivery office in the midlands, due to start soon. I am currently in full time employment with good job security. With all the negative media and signs of decline around Royal Mail as much as I want the job is it going to be a case of 1st in 1st out????
Any advice greatly appreciated
cheers
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New job
-
Izzy
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09
Re: New job
I wouldn't risk it if you have a secure F/T job now. RM wouldn't even have to make you redundant if they were cutting back, they'd just not renew your 6 month contract. TBH RM want more and more of it's staff to be 'flexible' which means you have no guaranteed hours, but you can say no to more hours than you've agreed. So if you're going to need that flexibility (studies/caring for kids/spouse/parent) then it might suit.
-
piranha
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
I wouldn't even consider swapping a secure job for a temporary contract at RM, There is no g/tee you'll be kept on after the contract has expired.
Could you live on 25 hours pay? My office employed three people on similar contracts last year and didn't renew any of them. I think they just want the extra bodies to cover the xmas period.
Could you live on 25 hours pay? My office employed three people on similar contracts last year and didn't renew any of them. I think they just want the extra bodies to cover the xmas period.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
Why are you even considering giving this up for a 25 hr pw 6 month contractDan765432 wrote:Hi
Have been offered 25 hour 6 month contract at a delivery office in the midlands, due to start soon. I am currently in full time employment with good job security. With all the negative media and signs of decline around Royal Mail as much as I want the job is it going to be a case of 1st in 1st out????
Any advice greatly appreciated
cheers
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: New job
Stick with your FT job.
Unless your totally sick of it.
Unless your totally sick of it.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
panch1989
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
- Gender: Male
Re: New job
I'm also waiting to start a 3 month temp job that I'm leaving a full time retail job that I've had for 3 years. There's no telling what the future holds. I'm taking the risk because I want to.I'll earn the same on 25 hours that I earnt doing 37.5 so for me it makes no difference