ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New job

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dan765432
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Mar 2014, 19:51
Gender: Male

New job

Post by Dan765432 »

Hi

Have been offered 25 hour 6 month contract at a delivery office in the midlands, due to start soon. I am currently in full time employment with good job security. With all the negative media and signs of decline around Royal Mail as much as I want the job is it going to be a case of 1st in 1st out????

Any advice greatly appreciated

cheers
Izzy
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09

Re: New job

Post by Izzy »

I wouldn't risk it if you have a secure F/T job now. RM wouldn't even have to make you redundant if they were cutting back, they'd just not renew your 6 month contract. TBH RM want more and more of it's staff to be 'flexible' which means you have no guaranteed hours, but you can say no to more hours than you've agreed. So if you're going to need that flexibility (studies/caring for kids/spouse/parent) then it might suit.
piranha
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 496
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
Gender: Male

Re: New job

Post by piranha »

I wouldn't even consider swapping a secure job for a temporary contract at RM, There is no g/tee you'll be kept on after the contract has expired.
Could you live on 25 hours pay? My office employed three people on similar contracts last year and didn't renew any of them. I think they just want the extra bodies to cover the xmas period.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: New job

Post by dave72 »

Dan765432 wrote:Hi

Have been offered 25 hour 6 month contract at a delivery office in the midlands, due to start soon. I am currently in full time employment with good job security. With all the negative media and signs of decline around Royal Mail as much as I want the job is it going to be a case of 1st in 1st out????

Any advice greatly appreciated

cheers
Why are you even considering giving this up for a 25 hr pw 6 month contract :crazy:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: New job

Post by krussel »

Stick with your FT job.

Unless your totally sick of it. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Re: New job

Post by panch1989 »

I'm also waiting to start a 3 month temp job that I'm leaving a full time retail job that I've had for 3 years. There's no telling what the future holds. I'm taking the risk because I want to.I'll earn the same on 25 hours that I earnt doing 37.5 so for me it makes no difference