ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
lofarl
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
Gender: Male

2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by lofarl »

I have received a 2 year serious warning because I left a special in my bag overnight in the van. It was a small letter and I just forgot it was in there, I scanned the rest of the items in fine. I accept my error in leaving it in the bag, the fault is my own. But instead of a ticking off or a row I get hit with this. Now I am afraid that any small error I make in 2 years and I am out the door.

But when I look at the conduct code I see this:

Furthermore, Royal mail does recognise that genuine mistakes and misunderstandings do occur and it is not the intention of the Business that such cases should be dealt with under the Conduct Code beyond counselling for the isolated instance. The key is that employees should do their job to the best of their ability and, if in doubt, ask for their manager's advice and guidance.

Now if I had prior of leaving specials in vans or screwing them up I could understand the kick in the ass. But as far as I know this is my first real error.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by Acca Dacca »

contest it
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
lofarl
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by lofarl »

Would I win though?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

lofarl wrote:Would I win though?
Going by your previous posts I don't think you would, you have had problems with lost or misdelivered specials and recordeds in the past, so its not the first time you have made errors, yes 2 years warning is harsh but could have been worse I think a one year may have been more appropriate
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by doorstepped »

I would have thought a coaching session by your dom would have sufficed if this was your first instance of this.

you get told what you did wrong, you then say sorry, sign a bit of paper saying you won't do it again.

it stays on your record but no way should you have got a 2 year serious for that.

I would appeal, get your union rep ( if you are in the union ) on it.
lofarl
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by lofarl »

the other issue I have raised here was my partners responsibility and the one about the special turned up to be nothing, we just lost track of how many we had that day.
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by Jamesethefirst »

lofarl wrote:Would I win though?
Who cares, it wastes their time,they can't increase it,so you may as well,what do you have to lose by appealing?
Just make sure you check your bags when you get back ,count the specials out and count them back in, keep them separate in your van,head down,arse up for 2 years. You won't make the same mistake again.
framusjsx
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by framusjsx »

Very over the top decision if you ask me.

If the van was locked its in a secure location, it wasn't lost or missing or mis-delivered. I would contest it personally.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by Hitcher »

What about when you come back to the office and it's all locked up and have to leave them in the van?
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by ebbzie »

lofarl wrote:I have received a 2 year serious warning because I left a special in my bag overnight in the van. It was a small letter and I just forgot it was in there, I scanned the rest of the items in fine. I accept my error in leaving it in the bag, the fault is my own. But instead of a ticking off or a row I get hit with this. Now I am afraid that any small error I make in 2 years and I am out the door.

But when I look at the conduct code I see this:

Furthermore, Royal mail does recognise that genuine mistakes and misunderstandings do occur and it is not the intention of the Business that such cases should be dealt with under the Conduct Code beyond counselling for the isolated instance. The key is that employees should do their job to the best of their ability and, if in doubt, ask for their manager's advice and guidance.

Now if I had prior of leaving specials in vans or screwing them up I could understand the kick in the ass. But as far as I know this is my first real error.
Take a empty tray with you and put all small packets and letters for return in it , that way you wont leave any in your pouches thats we do and it seems to work ok#
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by Gold Fox »

Our boys and girls are doing all the time ... managers know... so far nothing happened, no warning and no telling off. Callers Office staff reporting back to managers but they do not take seriously ... just laugh.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Gold Fox wrote:Our boys and girls are doing all the time ... managers know... so far nothing happened, no warning and no telling off. Callers Office staff reporting back to managers but they do not take seriously ... just laugh.
There's the problem then - if they do it all the time without being disciplined they'll continue to do it - personally I'd sack one and see if anyone did it the next week.
lofarl
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by lofarl »

cheers pal.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

ebbzie wrote:
lofarl wrote:I have received a 2 year serious warning because I left a special in my bag overnight in the van. It was a small letter and I just forgot it was in there, I scanned the rest of the items in fine. I accept my error in leaving it in the bag, the fault is my own. But instead of a ticking off or a row I get hit with this. Now I am afraid that any small error I make in 2 years and I am out the door.

But when I look at the conduct code I see this:

Furthermore, Royal mail does recognise that genuine mistakes and misunderstandings do occur and it is not the intention of the Business that such cases should be dealt with under the Conduct Code beyond counselling for the isolated instance. The key is that employees should do their job to the best of their ability and, if in doubt, ask for their manager's advice and guidance.

Now if I had prior of leaving specials in vans or screwing them up I could understand the kick in the ass. But as far as I know this is my first real error.
Take a empty tray with you and put all small packets and letters for return in it , that way you wont leave any in your pouches thats we do and it seems to work ok#
Good idea. he "left a special in my bag overnight in the van" buy why use bags in a van anyway ?
Burnleyfc
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Jun 2014, 16:21
Gender: Female

Re: 2 year warning for leaving special in bag.

Post by Burnleyfc »

People at our place got dismissed for this we had to stage walkouts to get them back