ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New round but no training

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
the dragon
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 115
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 14:33

New round but no training

Post by the dragon »

Due to the ongoing cuts, I got told today that all opgs must have knowledge of a minimum of 2 rounds, so we are more flexible. Im fine with this but can someone advise me on what minimum training we should receive before we do these new rounds? For example, Ive been told that Im on a round for one day next week that Ive not done for nearly 10 years and obviously quite a lot has changed on it since. This particular duty is also "deep" rural, which makes prep and delivery a lot worse. I know that some will say:" just get on with it" or others will say "refuse to do it" but what I really need to know are the hard facts, should I get some sort of training? Thanks in advance. P.S. our office is "weak" and our rep just shrugs when this subject arises :crazy:
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by datasaint »

the dragon wrote:Due to the ongoing cuts, I got told today that all opgs must have knowledge of a minimum of 2 rounds, so we are more flexible. Im fine with this but can someone advise me on what minimum training we should receive before we do these new rounds? For example, Ive been told that Im on a round for one day next week that Ive not done for nearly 10 years and obviously quite a lot has changed on it since. This particular duty is also "deep" rural, which makes prep and delivery a lot worse. I know that some will say:" just get on with it" or others will say "refuse to do it" but what I really need to know are the hard facts, should I get some sort of training? Thanks in advance. P.S. our office is "weak" and our rep just shrugs when this subject arises :crazy:
Work your hours. Advise your manager you don't know the duty so you are liable to cut-off and/or bring mail back for where you don't know.

The ball is in their court then.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

the dragon wrote:Due to the ongoing cuts, I got told today that all opgs must have knowledge of a minimum of 2 rounds, so we are more flexible. Im fine with this but can someone advise me on what minimum training we should receive before we do these new rounds? For example, Ive been told that Im on a round for one day next week that Ive not done for nearly 10 years and obviously quite a lot has changed on it since. This particular duty is also "deep" rural, which makes prep and delivery a lot worse. I know that some will say:" just get on with it" or others will say "refuse to do it" but what I really need to know are the hard facts, should I get some sort of training? Thanks in advance. P.S. our office is "weak" and our rep just shrugs when this subject arises :crazy:

sorry there are no hard facts on this one, yes you should be trained on the route, but what that training should consist of is not written anywhere, so your training could consist from anything of "heres a map get on with it(maybe not even that)" to a weeks training on the round with the existing postie
the dragon
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 115
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 14:33

Re: New round but no training

Post by the dragon »

zx135 wrote:
the dragon wrote:Due to the ongoing cuts, I got told today that all opgs must have knowledge of a minimum of 2 rounds, so we are more flexible. Im fine with this but can someone advise me on what minimum training we should receive before we do these new rounds? For example, Ive been told that Im on a round for one day next week that Ive not done for nearly 10 years and obviously quite a lot has changed on it since. This particular duty is also "deep" rural, which makes prep and delivery a lot worse. I know that some will say:" just get on with it" or others will say "refuse to do it" but what I really need to know are the hard facts, should I get some sort of training? Thanks in advance. P.S. our office is "weak" and our rep just shrugs when this subject arises :crazy:

sorry there are no hard facts on this one, yes you should be trained on the route, but what that training should consist of is not written anywhere, so your training could consist from anything of "heres a map get on with it(maybe not even that)" to a weeks training on the round with the existing postie
Ok thanks for that. Piss poor really, :crazy: , I would have thought that there would be a " minimum" standard on training. So, as I intend to work my hours, it looks like approx 50% will be left in the office then.
HUGSTEREFC
Posts: 11
Joined: 19 Feb 2013, 11:16
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by HUGSTEREFC »

At the very least you should being given a one day refresher.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

HUGSTEREFC wrote:At the very least you should being given a one day refresher.

agreed but the problem is that even thats not wirtten down somewhere which is what the OP is looking for, written guidlines
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: New round but no training

Post by spiderj »

Only tool you have is cutting off mate

Minimum of two

I wish

I go between 20/25 duties

And yes I always say if I don't know it I'll cut off

Its a pain in the bum

Especially the rurals

I'd say I know twenty duties

But as for delivery to neighbour

There's a limited to what I can remember
Who is in trust who's in etc
I won
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by themailman »

In our office about 80% of the staff only know 1 duty - their own.

Then the other 20% constantly get fecked about during holiday season or when staff levels are low.

Some guys know about 10 different duties. It's hilarious when 2-3 'experts' are off on holiday too. The look on some peoples faces when they get asked to sort up a duty they've never done before, even though all they need to sort is walk sequence!
Whysoslowyehcfc
Posts: 238
Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by Whysoslowyehcfc »

Err...what's the point of signing for a duty, if youre not going to do it?
Are we now doing away with seniority? Because that's what it sounds like
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by themailman »

Whysoslowyehcfc wrote:Err...what's the point of signing for a duty, if youre not going to do it?
Are we now doing away with seniority? Because that's what it sounds like
on a slight tangent, I understand the need and benefits of seniority, but it doesn't half make some people think they are 'above' others.

I'd 'cap' it after say, 15 years, meaning that after then you are all level.
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

themailman wrote:In our office about 80% of the staff only know 1 duty - their own.

Then the other 20% constantly get fecked about during holiday season or when staff levels are low.

Some guys know about 10 different duties. It's hilarious when 2-3 'experts' are off on holiday too. The look on some peoples faces when they get asked to sort up a duty they've never done before, even though all they need to sort is walk sequence!
Hmmm makes you wonder which Postie will be more valuable ( flexible ) in the future , just wait till the skill planners rear their head , seniority will be waved goodbye and flexibility will be king.

If you was a manager and you had to loose OPG's I bet the one that knows more duties will be favoured , the other will be " Performance Managed " out of RM
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: New round but no training

Post by Himaggen »

Ever heard of a Walk Log?

That log which should be readily available at the RM2000, should contain a Map, (including lines joining every delivery point), listings of hazards to look out for and things such as difficult to find delivery points, parking locations and any other walk specific information an OPG should need. The RM2000 is supposed to be in delivery point order so it should then be a simple case of following a sequence of delivery points armed with the pertinent information from the Walk Log. If the RM2000 is not in delivery point order go over the normal duty holders head and inform the 'A Plus Champion' to get it fixed.

Beyond that, start at your start time work at a reasonable level and finish at your finish time.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: New round but no training

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Whysoslowyehcfc wrote:Err...what's the point of signing for a duty, if youre not going to do it?
Are we now doing away with seniority? Because that's what it sounds like
I predict in 5 to 10 years - picked duties won't exist they'll be assigned - I also think that duties will be a lot more fluid than now and 1 day will be different to the next. Lapsing/Aborbtion is just a forerunner to this.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by wannabeek »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Whysoslowyehcfc wrote:Err...what's the point of signing for a duty, if youre not going to do it?
Are we now doing away with seniority? Because that's what it sounds like
I predict in 5 to 10 years - picked duties won't exist they'll be assigned - I also think that duties will be a lot more fluid than now and 1 day will be different to the next. Lapsing/Aborbtion is just a forerunner to this.
Absolutely agree with you there. That's already almost the case with the townies at ours - so many people know them that many people just end up on any one of them almost at random it seems. Sometimes I'm rota'd onto one half of the P&L pairing and the following day me and the same partner are rota'd onto the opposite half!

It makes no odds to us tho. I think at our place the main reason for picking a duty of your own is getting the long weekends that come with it. About 70% of the employees can every so often get moved about all over, often with little or no notice, and there's no fuss about that. It just makes sense to get all duties covered.

I also agree that, from an employer's point of view, those 70% are the useful and valuable ones, not the 30% who have the highest seniority (mostly) and consider themselves the safest in their jobs, just because they can do the same thing again and again each day. Big whoopee. :left:
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: New round but no training

Post by Jamesethefirst »

Himaggen wrote:Ever heard of a Walk Log?

That log which should be readily available at the RM2000, should contain a Map, (including lines joining every delivery point), listings of hazards to look out for and things such as difficult to find delivery points, parking locations and any other walk specific information an OPG should need. The RM2000 is supposed to be in delivery point order so it should then be a simple case of following a sequence of delivery points armed with the pertinent information from the Walk Log. If the RM2000 is not in delivery point order go over the normal duty holders head and inform the 'A Plus Champion' to get it fixed.

Beyond that, start at your start time work at a reasonable level and finish at your finish time.
I have never come across one frame yet ,in order. I always ask the duty holder to do me a tying up list,most oblige,if they won't I go and get my own.