ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Almost there

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Almost there

Post by rhino49 »

Well folks, tomorrow will be my last Saturday on delivery as I will retire next weekend. My retirement date actually falls on my weekend off so I will be taking civvies in on Friday and heading for a little light refreshment when I finish.

Not many of us reach 65 in this job nowadays and I have had to be very determined and downright stubborn to make sure the job didn't beat me. Every day hurts a little more now as I am looking forward to getting my body rested, recuperated and back to my favourite pastime of walking in the Pennines. Time off since park and loop came in nearly four years ago has meant that weekends and rest days have been for recovery.

Having had a little moan about what the job has done to me I should also add that I have been fortunate to have the support of two good van share partners over the last few years who have helped me through and also I am lucky to work in an office run by real managers who work as hard as we do and help us to do our job instead of hindering us at every opportunity - not all offices suffer as many of you have had to, but a healthy difference of opinion added to a little courtesy does get things done to the advantage of both parties involved.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the many contributors of good advice to this site and to wish my colleagues around the country a brighter future than we can see at the moment. We are the best at what we do - never forget that.

I must wash my dog peg for tomorrows delivery now, but I will look in during the week to make sure there are still plenty of moans and groans to reassure me that I am right in not staying :Very Happy
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Almost there

Post by Darren Bent »

Enjoy Retirement, and how many years did you do for Royal Mail.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Almost there

Post by DB1100 »

Good luck mate,I might see you on bleaklow or black hill one day,I've got a few pairs of cat boots stockpiled for my retirement or EVR,take care and watch out for peat bogs.
For we were soldiers once,and young
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Almost there

Post by rhino49 »

Darren Bent wrote:Enjoy Retirement, and how many years did you do for Royal Mail.
Just over 19
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Almost there

Post by rhino49 »

DB1100 wrote:Good luck mate,I might see you on bleaklow or black hill one day,I've got a few pairs of cat boots stockpiled for my retirement or EVR,take care and watch out for peat bogs.
you don't have to look out for peat bogs on Bleaklow - they look out for you !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Almost there

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Breakfast ? :shock: :cuppa
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Almost there

Post by DirtyHarry »

Enjoy your retirement, Rhino. :thumbup
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Almost there

Post by Judgee »

Good luck Rhino congrats on making it! Let the partying begin! :nana :dance
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Almost there

Post by Pinky 1 »

rhino you old fart ....... i never realised you are of a certain age :chuckle :chuckle

On a serious note though mate, i wish you all the best in your long retirement, and if you ever fancy a race over the Brecon Beacons give me a shout :chuckle :wave
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Almost there

Post by bustedflush »

Anyone who can start at 46 and work until 65 in this job deserves a good retirement. Hope your body recovers and you're free from any carry-over when you stop next week. Enj :Applause oy!!
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Almost there

Post by 5plusbonusball »

All the best , i'll be moaning until I reach my 20th year next year , and probably after that, hoping I get an extra week off! Keep yourself busy! :wave
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Almost there

Post by feduppostie »

Have a great retirement :-)
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Almost there

Post by baldrick »

Congratulations on making it to 65! Enjoy your retirement, you are lucky to live near the Penines with some great walking. I like walking too, but have to travel out of London to be able to walk anywhere scenic. I have bought a Senior Railcard and try to get out of London for a walk at least once a week, usually to the Essex or Kent coasts.
I hope you keep in touch on this board, you have been one of the more thoughtful and interesting contributors on here. Best wishes for a long and happy retirement, you have earned it. :Very Happy
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

Re: Almost there

Post by borgpicard »

happy retirement chap
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Almost there

Post by halfull »

happy retirement!! enjoy :thumbup