ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Work shoes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Wanderer93
Posts: 8
Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 10:28
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by Wanderer93 »

Hi there , currently wearing the yds goretex trainers for a few weeks and they have been killing my feet not lonng started so was wearing trainer till they came was just wondering with a doctors note would i be able to wear my own footwear i have tried everything to make them comfier .

Cheers
stroller
Posts: 127
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 17:31
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by stroller »

Why would you need a doctors note to wear your own shoes/trainers?
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by freelunch »

Look after your feet. We've several posties in our place suffering with ongoing plantar fasciaitis problems
Scholl Orthoheel sports insoles (full length orthotics) work well with the YDS trainers, just enough room inside. Not cheap but they do last and retain their support.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by aiden01 »

stroller wrote:Why would you need a doctors note to wear your own shoes/trainers?
because if your not wearing rm footwear and have an accident they will absolve of blame immediately :crazy: :crazy:
gluteus maximus
Posts: 241
Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by gluteus maximus »

aiden01 wrote:
stroller wrote:Why would you need a doctors note to wear your own shoes/trainers?
because if your not wearing rm footwear and have an accident they will absolve of blame immediately :crazy: :crazy:
Rubbish

To proportion blame you have to show negligence/duty of care on the other party.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Work shoes

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

gluteus maximus wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
stroller wrote:Why would you need a doctors note to wear your own shoes/trainers?
because if your not wearing rm footwear and have an accident they will absolve of blame immediately :crazy: :crazy:
Rubbish

To proportion blame you have to show negligence/duty of care on the other party.
Unfortunately our managers are either untrained in this aspect, or perhaps more worryingly, they are incorrectly briefed by higher levels of management. They still believe that our shoes are PPE, when in fact they aren't (except steel toe cap for loading/unloading bays) yet they still enforce a life period on them. :crazy:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
gluteus maximus
Posts: 241
Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by gluteus maximus »

It seems though this manager speak is now filtering down to the staff and they are believing such Garbage.

"Tell a lie often enough people will start to believe it to be the Truth"


Why is this being allowed to happen and continue as you can be looking at a possible breach of statutory duty.

Where is the Trade Union executive in all of this??
buckrogers
Posts: 25
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 19:22
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by buckrogers »

We have always been told we need a doctors note to be able to wear our own shoes. If you have one it also means you can claim back £30 towards the cost of footwear.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Work shoes

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The problem is managers see non wearing of RM shoes as a H&S breach - its not its a Uniform Code breach. Its that small nuance that most H&S reps and managers can't seem to grasp.

If the shoes you are wearing at the time of any accident, are not authorised but provide adequate support, have decent tread and are in all other aspects suitable for the task, they cannot use the fact that they are not issued footwear as a way to blame the individual, in the investigation.

They can however discipline you for not following the Uniform code. Which is why they ask for a letter from a Doctor and reimburse you £30, these actions mean you are covered by the Uniform code.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Work shoes

Post by spiderj »

To answer op

Yep get a note
Scan copy of receipt and note for when lino loses them

Then enjoy a pain free day on yer
feet

I'm wearing hiking boots this weather

What a difference

I've got flat feet and a pin in my toe

Was going to jack the job until I got comfy footwear
:cuppa
I won
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by postslippete »

A lot of managers sometimes think that you are just trying to p*ss them off by not wearing the correct footwear.

A lot of guys in our office are still waiting for new shoes. I've got mine, but have to admit they are not as comfy as the old cats. They are good if you are flat-footed, but for me, they are too boxy and have given me black toe-nails. I respect my feet in the job that I do and so I will not be not wearing them.

I also suffer from athlete's foot and these shoes have compounded the problem. Trainers and cotton socks work well for me in the summer. Although, generally I change my footwear every couple of days. Looks like I might need another note is from the quacks though...
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by coxie »

I got a doctors note and Royal Mail ended up paying £30 towards some suitable trainers. Get a doctors note and also you have the right to request to speak to atos about it and then it's fully on your record. They cannot deny your request to speak to atos. Royal Mail will then contribute up to £30.
manboss
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 15:55
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by manboss »

Is it a doctors note or just a letter you need? reason I say this is, I spoke to my doctor about having issues with RM's shoes but wasn't sure what I was asking for, she said it wouldn't be a docters/fit note? as these only last a few weeks but rather a letter just confirm the issues I have and her confirming the RM shoes are not appropriate for me, but even the doctor was unsure, I think I confused her.

I think whats confusing myself, is when I think note, i'm thinking sick/fit note.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Work shoes

Post by greengiant »

Looks like l'll need to ask for a new pair of yds / anvil trainers very soon, as the subsole is showing in places. Only had my YDS for a few weeks! I wonder if they'll tell me to supply my own as I've had 2 pairs of work shoes in less than 6 months....
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: Work shoes

Post by Himaggen »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:They still believe that our shoes are PPE, when in fact they aren't (except steel toe cap for loading/unloading bays) yet they still enforce a life period on them. :crazy:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The problem is managers see non wearing of RM shoes as a H&S breach - its not its a Uniform Code breach. Its that small nuance that most H&S reps and managers can't seem to grasp.
The shoes provided are PPE, check the designation on them, they are Occupational Footwear.

There are three PPE classifications of footwear:
  1. Safety Footwear manufactured under EN ISO 20345
  2. Protective Footwear manufactured under EN ISO 20346
  3. Occupational Footwear manufactured under EN ISO 20347