ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
want to start riding a bike
-
Rage24
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 18:06
- Gender: Male
want to start riding a bike
shall i use this cycle to work scheme thing? how does it work? can anyone recommend me a decent cheap one?
-
smok3y666
- Posts: 753
- Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
- Gender: Male
Re: want to start riding a bike
Yes. You go and look at some bikes at Halfords (that's where I got mine from) and decide how much the total will be. Speak to the sales guys and tell them what you are doing and they will advise you. Get and fill out the application form saying how much you will need and send it off. You get a voucher back which you take to Halfords for your bike and gear. Pay is stopped from you monthly/weekly salary until you have paid however much you brought the bike and gear for. After 18 months you keep the bike. I chose the Carrera Vulcan and a few bits and pieces which came in at around £400. I would advise you don't scrimp when choosing a bike as things like weight and equipment will all effect your cycling enjoyment. The bike I had won the best bike below £500 award in What MTB or something a year or so ago. Also decide what bike you want and what you are you going to use it for. No point in buying an MTB if all you are doing is road riding everyday.
That is, from what I remember, basically it.
That is, from what I remember, basically it.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: want to start riding a bike
41 pages of information and insight here http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=27480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Rage24 wrote:shall i use this cycle to work scheme thing? how does it work? can anyone recommend me a decent cheap one?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: want to start riding a bike
There are two schemes, one for Halfords and one for your local independent shop. Most people would recommend a local expert rather than Halfords. I went to my local shop, explained the type of riding I'd be doing and got a £270 hybrid. It will have cost me around £185 after 18 months. With hindsight, I wish I'd gone for a better bike for an extra £7-8 off my take home pay.
As I'm unfit and hadn't cycled for 30 years, I thought I'd better stay at the budget end, in case I never use it. I'm out 2 or 3 times a week doing 10 - 20 miles a time and loving it.
I'd definitely recommend a chat with your local expert, even if you end up buying from Halfords.
As I'm unfit and hadn't cycled for 30 years, I thought I'd better stay at the budget end, in case I never use it. I'm out 2 or 3 times a week doing 10 - 20 miles a time and loving it.
I'd definitely recommend a chat with your local expert, even if you end up buying from Halfords.