ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

ill health retirement

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postielatic
Posts: 14
Joined: 01 May 2012, 19:26
Gender: Male

ill health retirement

Post by postielatic »

I have just had a call from OH solutions asking can a doctor call me next week!
I'm hurt me knee in work in November! A inncident not a accident apparently!
I didn't have time off at the time but was placed on amended duties. I recently had my operation and have been of for 8 weeks!
Had a few complications but doing well know. The atos nurse said I could return again on rehab but I refused as my doctor signed me off till I spoke to my surgeon.
Now after finding out about the doctor call my rep informs me they want to medically retire me on capacity issues! Bear in my nobody has said anything to me!
Need some physio then I should be back to full health! Fingers crossed!
Do I have grounds to make a compliant about my boss?
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: ill health retirement

Post by rehabron »

postielatic wrote:I have just had a call from OH solutions asking can a doctor call me next week!
I'm hurt me knee in work in November! A inncident not a accident apparently!
I didn't have time off at the time but was placed on amended duties. I recently had my operation and have been of for 8 weeks!
Had a few complications but doing well know. The atos nurse said I could return again on rehab but I refused as my doctor signed me off till I spoke to my surgeon.
Now after finding out about the doctor call my rep informs me they want to medically retire me on capacity issues! Bear in my nobody has said anything to me!
Need some physio then I should be back to full health! Fingers crossed!
Do I have grounds to make a compliant about my boss?
This policy of RM recording accidents at work as incidents seems to be the line that RM are taking to avoid any absences occurring being discounted in the attendance procedure
However if an INJURY has been sustained it has to be recorded as an accident and placed in the accident book and an ERICA completed.
You need to bring this matter to your Health & Safety rep for RM Health & Safety officer to be informed.
You have the right which you have exercised to refuse OH Assist recommendation in favour of your Doctor's advice.
RM are now considering you for IHR but as you have stated that the prognosis is good and with further physio treatment you will eventually be in a position to return to your normal duty and therefore their offer of IHR is premature and that will be your argument supported by the surgeon's report for refusing their IHR>
You would not have grounds for a complaint about your boss because all he/she is doing is offering you IHR but you do have a complaint in the manner that your accident at work has been distorted and you need to have this fully investigated by the union.
At the time of your accident your line manager should have undertaken a risk assessment of the situation and also if necessary photographs. Has This been done?
postielatic
Posts: 14
Joined: 01 May 2012, 19:26
Gender: Male

Re: ill health retirement

Post by postielatic »

Thanks for the information!
No the boss didn't carry out any investigation afterwards!