ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Fellow workers working for free

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Fellow workers working for free

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

Cannot believe some people work for nothing :arrrghhh
Was on a shared van duty and being as no overtime was being paid I cut off and phoned my work partner to say im going back are you cutting off?? his reply left me totally bamboozled. Because he was covering for my regular work partner he said he didn't want to cut off and leave it for the regular fella tomorrow so he was going to work an extra hour to make sure he finished, even though he knew he wouldn't get paid :no no
I haven't a clue how many times before he has done this before, Why do people do this, have they had a royal mail lobotomy???
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by bigcol »

GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Why do people do this
Check out the 999 other threads on this same topic.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by k979aaa »

GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Cannot believe some people work for nothing :arrrghhh
Was on a shared van duty and being as no overtime was being paid I cut off and phoned my work partner to say im going back are you cutting off?? his reply left me totally bamboozled. Because he was covering for my regular work partner he said he didn't want to cut off and leave it for the regular fella tomorrow so he was going to work an extra hour to make sure he finished, even though he knew he wouldn't get paid :no no
I haven't a clue how many times before he has done this before, Why do people do this, have they had a royal mail lobotomy???
It's their loss bloody idiots no point telling them as they are all arse holes with no balls or brains. :arrrghhh
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by raikky »

Theres a lot of people who don't dare say to a manager 'I wanna finish on my time today'

so not matter how busy it is they will work until whatever time. And I bet they would do it even if they couldn't claim.

its the same with people coming in early. 2 ppl came in 1 hour early today, left the office at 8.30. finished at 12. manager is fine with it because they took lapsing. yet other people struggling get a bollocking because they don't have time for lapsing. its a joke.
travisbickle
Posts: 66
Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 15:21
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by travisbickle »

It will never change....our start time is 6.15 but they sometimes pay people to come in early to sort.There is one guy who comes in at 5.20 everyday (not a sorter) and when i get there at 6.15 hes put all his sequenced in on his trolley walk, has all the early sorted flats in, and packets on top of the fitting, all before his scheduled start time! Another guy comes in not quite as early and literally stands outside at 7.45 waiting for the last van then runs round his delivery! they are at home on facebook before im start loop 5 lol! :crazy:
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by Judgee »

GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Cannot believe some people work for nothing :arrrghhh
Was on a shared van duty and being as no overtime was being paid I cut off and phoned my work partner to say im going back are you cutting off?? his reply left me totally bamboozled. Because he was covering for my regular work partner he said he didn't want to cut off and leave it for the regular fella tomorrow so he was going to work an extra hour to make sure he finished, even though he knew he wouldn't get paid :no no
I haven't a clue how many times before he has done this before, Why do people do this, have they had a royal mail lobotomy???

So this guy did your regular partner a major favour and you think he's an idiot? I guess he must be after all why would anyone help someone else in an industry where "every man for himself" rules! :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by wannabeek »

Yeah, this may seem stupid but it happens. I went over for free one Saturday because I felt sorry for the poor girl (heavily pregnant at the time, btw) who'd be picking it up on Monday. Ok, so it was an hour of my life I donated to make a fellow colleague's life easier. So what? I probably should have tried booking it as OT (Saturday OT is rare as hen's teeth here) but it just seemed like a nice thing to do at the time. I know it'll go against many people's principles here on this site, but sometimes it feels good to do a favour without expecting or getting reward, IMO.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by korky »

wannabeek wrote:Yeah, this may seem stupid but it happens. I went over for free one Saturday because I felt sorry for the poor girl (heavily pregnant at the time, btw) who'd be picking it up on Monday. Ok, so it was an hour of my life I donated to make a fellow colleague's life easier. So what? I probably should have tried booking it as OT (Saturday OT is rare as hen's teeth here) but it just seemed like a nice thing to do at the time. I know it'll go against many people's principles here on this site, but sometimes it feels good to do a favour without expecting or getting reward, IMO.
think anyone will do a fellow postie a favour if possible, i do everyday, and would try to help most if possible, but if a manager asks, then its if i can be arsed & how much!
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by Bahia Feliz »

GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Cannot believe some people work for nothing :arrrghhh
Was on a shared van duty and being as no overtime was being paid I cut off and phoned my work partner to say im going back are you cutting off?? his reply left me totally bamboozled. Because he was covering for my regular work partner he said he didn't want to cut off and leave it for the regular fella tomorrow so he was going to work an extra hour to make sure he finished, even though he knew he wouldn't get paid :no no
I haven't a clue how many times before he has done this before, Why do people do this, have they had a royal mail lobotomy???
Was you cutting off agreed with your manager beforehand? As you must let them know as early as possible if you are going to cut off.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by Bahia Feliz »

wannabeek wrote:Yeah, this may seem stupid but it happens. I went over for free one Saturday because I felt sorry for the poor girl (heavily pregnant at the time, btw) who'd be picking it up on Monday. Ok, so it was an hour of my life I donated to make a fellow colleague's life easier. So what? I probably should have tried booking it as OT (Saturday OT is rare as hen's teeth here) but it just seemed like a nice thing to do at the time. I know it'll go against many people's principles here on this site, but sometimes it feels good to do a favour without expecting or getting reward, IMO.
If you had cut off on that Saturday it would have been the managers job to get it delivered that day and not have mail left for the Monday!
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by wannabeek »

Hahaha. That's just hilarious! What company do you work for, I think it must be a different one to the one I work for!!
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by Bahia Feliz »

wannabeek wrote:Hahaha. That's just hilarious! What company do you work for, I think it must be a different one to the one I work for!!
You're the hilarious one for working for nothing
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by eastie »

raikky wrote:Theres a lot of people who don't dare say to a manager 'I wanna finish on my time today'

so not matter how busy it is they will work until whatever time. And I bet they would do it even if they couldn't claim.

its the same with people coming in early. 2 ppl came in 1 hour early today, left the office at 8.30. finished at 12. manager is fine with it because they took lapsing. yet other people struggling get a bollocking because they don't have time for lapsing. its a joke.
Your DOM should give the lapsing that wasn't done due to cut offs to the runners who finished early
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by eastie »

Judgee wrote:
GoingRoundTheBend wrote:Cannot believe some people work for nothing :arrrghhh
Was on a shared van duty and being as no overtime was being paid I cut off and phoned my work partner to say im going back are you cutting off?? his reply left me totally bamboozled. Because he was covering for my regular work partner he said he didn't want to cut off and leave it for the regular fella tomorrow so he was going to work an extra hour to make sure he finished, even though he knew he wouldn't get paid :no no
I haven't a clue how many times before he has done this before, Why do people do this, have they had a royal mail lobotomy???

So this guy did your regular partner a major favour and you think he's an idiot? I guess he must be after all why would anyone help someone else in an industry where "every man for himself" rules! :roll:
Why is the mail left till tomorrow??
The only one he was doing a favour to was the DOM
Someone should be doing the cut off and not left till the following day. Its up to the DOM to get it covered even if HE has to deliver it otherwise its wilful delay
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Fellow workers working for free

Post by 2pints »

Yaye another thread on this topic.. :so there