ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Overtime

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Kezroyalmail
Posts: 15
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 19:01
Gender: Female

Overtime

Post by Kezroyalmail »

Please can someone tell me if this is ok? Yesterday I worked 50 mins over my time, got back to the office to write in the overtime sheet but the manager was having a meeting in there so thought I'd do it in the morning like I've been doing for years.manager told me this morning that they are clamping down on overtime so I'm not gonna get paid my 50 mins.instead I will have to come in 50 mins later tomorrow morning.i was like WTF.anyway got finished today (tues) 20 mins early,gaffer seen me and said I have to use the 20 mins from today and come in 30 mins later tomorrow=50 mins.surely they can't do this especially without notice.if I'd known I would of bought the work back yesterday and plodded around an extra 20 mins today
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Kezroyalmail wrote:Please can someone tell me if this is ok? Yesterday I worked 50 mins over my time, got back to the office to write in the overtime sheet but the manager was having a meeting in there so thought I'd do it in the morning like I've been doing for years.manager told me this morning that they are clamping down on overtime so I'm not gonna get paid my 50 mins.instead I will have to come in 50 mins later tomorrow morning.i was like WTF.anyway got finished today (tues) 20 mins early,gaffer seen me and said I have to use the 20 mins from today and come in 30 mins later tomorrow=50 mins.surely they can't do this especially without notice.if I'd known I would of bought the work back yesterday and plodded around an extra 20 mins today

what they are doing is called banking hours, this is not part of any agreement, read up on the over running delivery procedure to find out exactly what you should be doing to be able to claim the ot properly
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by gary1975 »

How about go in on your start time and hand him back fifty mins of your delivery, I'm sure he will pay you overtime then
bigbazza
Posts: 113
Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 19:28
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by bigbazza »

We get told every day 39 hours "we don't want you to work anymore or any less"
Start on time finish on time cut off if need be.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Overtime

Post by korky »

Kezroyalmail wrote:Please can someone tell me if this is ok? Yesterday I worked 50 mins over my time, got back to the office to write in the overtime sheet but the manager was having a meeting in there so thought I'd do it in the morning like I've been doing for years.manager told me this morning that they are clamping down on overtime so I'm not gonna get paid my 50 mins.instead I will have to come in 50 mins later tomorrow morning.i was like WTF.anyway got finished today (tues) 20 mins early,gaffer seen me and said I have to use the 20 mins from today and come in 30 mins later tomorrow=50 mins.surely they can't do this especially without notice.if I'd known I would of bought the work back yesterday and plodded around an extra 20 mins today
sounds like a tool, i'd still come in to time, sure they have to give so much notice to change your times,
also see your rep, few months ago a lad worked his day off and got told to book actual hours worked and not for the full shift, quick word to rep and the full shift got booked
PaulyQ
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by PaulyQ »

Surely you get paid for what you do, if you work 6 hours on day off then you get paid 6 hours, you can't get paid 7 even if the duty is 7 hours, it's ghost overtime.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by worktotime »

korky wrote:
Kezroyalmail wrote:Please can someone tell me if this is ok? Yesterday I worked 50 mins over my time, got back to the office to write in the overtime sheet but the manager was having a meeting in there so thought I'd do it in the morning like I've been doing for years.manager told me this morning that they are clamping down on overtime so I'm not gonna get paid my 50 mins.instead I will have to come in 50 mins later tomorrow morning.i was like WTF.anyway got finished today (tues) 20 mins early,gaffer seen me and said I have to use the 20 mins from today and come in 30 mins later tomorrow=50 mins.surely they can't do this especially without notice.if I'd known I would of bought the work back yesterday and plodded around an extra 20 mins today
sounds like a tool, i'd still come in to time, sure they have to give so much notice to change your times,
also see your rep, few months ago a lad worked his day off and got told to book actual hours worked and not for the full shift, quick word to rep and the full shift got booked
kez throw this one at him start on your time , trolleys , m/r etc , tell him I will work my 39 hrs you keep check on what you are owed , then tell the clown I will have my time back what i am owed on a sat or a fri when its my long weekend which you are entitled to do , easy. watch his face , me and my p&l partner have done it , great finishing at 11.30 - 12 on a sat. play the f***ers at there own game. :nana
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Overtime

Post by korky »

PaulyQ wrote:Surely you get paid for what you do, if you work 6 hours on day off then you get paid 6 hours, you can't get paid 7 even if the duty is 7 hours, it's ghost overtime.
we've always booked a full shift for a day off, say you get done 1 hour early why should the person you're paired with get £10+ for exactly the same shift?
Kezroyalmail
Posts: 15
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 19:01
Gender: Female

Re: Overtime

Post by Kezroyalmail »

That's what I thought about doing.defo have overtime tomorrow and Thursday as usual bank a few hours there, then saturday I will only have to throw out my walk and f@ck off home.woohoooo! NEVER HAPPEN. Just pisses me off when young uns run round finish 2 hrs early and when they get back nowt is said.theres me do my job properly don't take the piss and can't book overtime which I very rarely do.only booked Monday cus we had letter for every house
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by worktotime »

Kezroyalmail wrote:That's what I thought about doing.defo have overtime tomorrow and Thursday as usual bank a few hours there, then saturday I will only have to throw out my walk and f@ck off home.woohoooo! NEVER HAPPEN. Just pisses me off when young uns run round finish 2 hrs early and when they get back nowt is said.theres me do my job properly don't take the piss and can't book overtime which I very rarely do.only booked Monday cus we had letter for every house
just work your contracted 39hrs and f**k em mate.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by terry2972 »

Just a thought if you wanted the o/t with this knocking on neighbours door to leave parcels you could claim loads or just keep cutting off I wonder how that would go down??
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

worktotime wrote:
korky wrote:
Kezroyalmail wrote:Please can someone tell me if this is ok? Yesterday I worked 50 mins over my time, got back to the office to write in the overtime sheet but the manager was having a meeting in there so thought I'd do it in the morning like I've been doing for years.manager told me this morning that they are clamping down on overtime so I'm not gonna get paid my 50 mins.instead I will have to come in 50 mins later tomorrow morning.i was like WTF.anyway got finished today (tues) 20 mins early,gaffer seen me and said I have to use the 20 mins from today and come in 30 mins later tomorrow=50 mins.surely they can't do this especially without notice.if I'd known I would of bought the work back yesterday and plodded around an extra 20 mins today
sounds like a tool, i'd still come in to time, sure they have to give so much notice to change your times,
also see your rep, few months ago a lad worked his day off and got told to book actual hours worked and not for the full shift, quick word to rep and the full shift got booked
kez throw this one at him start on your time , trolleys , m/r etc , tell him I will work my 39 hrs you keep check on what you are owed , then tell the clown I will have my time back what i am owed on a sat or a fri when its my long weekend which you are entitled to do , easy. watch his face , me and my p&l partner have done it , great finishing at 11.30 - 12 on a sat. play the f***ers at there own game. :nana

I want you as my workmate!!!

Finally I've found someone on my wavelength (No offence to all who do the job properly).
This starting late crap is bollox. All it does is push you back and put you under more pressure. I will not do it. When they start being clever regarding OT payments, which they obvs are in every office, I get it back by hook or crook. In payment or early finish. I love the technique of demanding the time back on Saturdays, but not a lot know it's an option or have the heart to push for it. The amount of money they're saving by people accepting this treatment and letting the OT go must be mindblowing. We've had a stand in DOM that was adamant he wanted a true reflection of the office's hours. How can he hope for that, when this is how the game is being played? - You do the job properly and honestly and this is what you get.

A bunch of scared line managers, worried to death about bollockings from the DOM, because he doesn't like the weeks budget figures.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Overtime

Post by Chelseablue »

All these guys who work there day off every week,,why should they get payed a full days money if they finish early?.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by blakeyboy »

Chelseablue wrote:All these guys who work there day off every week,,why should they get payed a full days money if they finish early?.

Why shouldn't they?So if you finish an hour early on a specific day you should lose an hours pay also?
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 16 Jul 2014, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There is a quote button - it makes for easier reading :thumbup
PaulyQ
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by PaulyQ »

Fair days pay for a fair days work - Surely ?

Work 6 hours on day off - get paid for it. Not paid 5 hours or 7 hours... 6 hours.