ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA's

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

PDA's

Post by wabbithunta »

At the risk of actually saying who I am, or where I work, I'm posting this on here as I've been asked by a few posties in my DO where I got this from.
It's from a friend who works for a large reputable courier company and they've moved over to a new PDA that uses a different pouch that's slimmer and can also take a spare battery too. He gave it to me as they don't use these anymore. Does anyone have anything similar to make it easier when on delivery? I've been using it for the past few months and the DIM in our office asked where I got it, so I told them. They said they'd enquire "upstairs" about this type of PDA holder but still no answer as to whether or not they'll get them in for the DO.

DSC_0218.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
bigbazza
Posts: 113
Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 19:28
Gender: Male

Re: PDA's

Post by bigbazza »

Very nice.This would be brilliant and save a lot of fiddling to get it out of the pouch.
Knowing our luck RM would source these holders then change the PDA wasting yet more money. :arrrghhh
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

Re: PDA's

Post by apple »

PDA s are due to be replaced with new ones anyway
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: PDA's

Post by bustedflush »

Only thing is when climbing over fences etc. to get done on time with all the extra work we're being burdened with, it will get in the way. Plus squeezing down gaps between cars and walls.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: PDA's

Post by wabbithunta »

bustedflush wrote:Only thing is when climbing over fences etc. to get done on time with all the extra work we're being burdened with, it will get in the way. Plus squeezing down gaps between cars and walls.
Not that I condone the above.. but where I deliver I have to get between cars and it's OK. Anyway getting between cars also depends on how slim/trim you are too and as for climbing fences? Well I don't know about that. "Field-testing" done by myself has found that it is pretty handy, keep the same pace and it is fine on your belt as the belt holder on it can use the RM belt quite comfortably. It hangs down the side and can swing a little so if you are one of these guysthat are on a "flier" when on delivery as it will move about a lot and as a result of that it''ll be no use to those that run when out on delivery lol :Very Happy

The PDA we use is over ten years old anyway and outdated, outmoded and full of problems. My friends company had the same type that we have at the moment and if RM use the same company for the new PDA then they'll be thinner and lighter. Also he has spare pouches for those.. assuming we don't get any pouches for them, if and when they do appear I may well be given a "gift" of one of these as they are a different design to this one.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: PDA's

Post by Indy »

apple wrote:PDA s are due to be replaced with new ones anyway
Roughly when?

Have a huge problem with the PDA ringing out etc when its in a pocket as the screen lock sucks
cobberwebb
Posts: 62
Joined: 25 Sep 2013, 15:49
Gender: Male

Re: PDA's

Post by cobberwebb »

You're not a real postie, where's your shorts mun! :wink:
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: PDA's

Post by bustedflush »

wabbithunta wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Only thing is when climbing over fences etc. to get done on time with all the extra work we're being burdened with, it will get in the way. Plus squeezing down gaps between cars and walls.
Not that I condone the above.. but where I deliver I have to get between cars and it's OK. Anyway getting between cars also depends on how slim/trim you are too and as for climbing fences? Well I don't know about that. "Field-testing" done by myself has found that it is pretty handy, keep the same pace and it is fine on your belt as the belt holder on it can use the RM belt quite comfortably. It hangs down the side and can swing a little so if you are one of these guysthat are on a "flier" when on delivery as it will move about a lot and as a result of that it''ll be no use to those that run when out on delivery lol :Very Happy

The PDA we use is over ten years old anyway and outdated, outmoded and full of problems. My friends company had the same type that we have at the moment and if RM use the same company for the new PDA then they'll be thinner and lighter. Also he has spare pouches for those.. assuming we don't get any pouches for them, if and when they do appear I may well be given a "gift" of one of these as they are a different design to this one.
I'll look forward to getting a new style one eventually. Seems just the job. I get fed up with the useless bricks 'oink-oinking' at me because the battery is low after 1 hour, therefore exacerbating the issue by using MORE battery to oink-oink and light up at me....madness!
It seems that the only way we'll be getting done on time soon is to employ only 'free runners' aged between 18-25 as posties, so I hope the new PDA and holder will stand up to the running, vaulting, climbing and leaping.... :chuckle
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

Re: PDA's

Post by apple »

Indy wrote:
apple wrote:PDA s are due to be replaced with new ones anyway
Roughly when?

Have a huge problem with the PDA ringing out etc when its in a pocket as the screen lock sucks
i think they said within the next year can't remember where i saw it now
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: PDA's

Post by maisymoo04 »

wabbithunta wrote:At the risk of actually saying who I am, or where I work, I'm posting this on here as I've been asked by a few posties in my DO where I got this from.
It's from a friend who works for a large reputable courier company and they've moved over to a new PDA that uses a different pouch that's slimmer and can also take a spare battery too. He gave it to me as they don't use these anymore. Does anyone have anything similar to make it easier when on delivery? I've been using it for the past few months and the DIM in our office asked where I got it, so I told them. They said they'd enquire "upstairs" about this type of PDA holder but still no answer as to whether or not they'll get them in for the DO.

DSC_0218.jpg
Go and work for ye mates company then :whistle :Very Happy
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: PDA's

Post by maisymoo04 »

Looks like a ups holder
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: PDA's

Post by loverman shabba »

the current pda is half the maximum allowed pouch weight. breeeeeze block
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: PDA's

Post by Altrider »

Looks like a sci-fi holster so..... 'set phasers to stun'' :chuckle :chuckle Which with some LINO's in range might be a good idea.
Last edited by Altrider on 14 Jul 2014, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: PDA's

Post by wabbithunta »

maisymoo04 wrote:Looks like a ups holder
Dunno about that.. lol, my mate works for FedEx
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: PDA's

Post by krussel »

Some guys have a holster for the brick pda. Does not look as good as the one in the pic though.

Personally I would just like something that can achieve 4 hours without crashing and requiring a re-boot.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........