ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Drinking while sorting?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mrbungle
Posts: 23
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 13:32
Gender: Male

Drinking while sorting?

Post by mrbungle »

It was cold in our office this morning as the night staff had all the windows open all night so I decided to go and get a cup of coffee to warm up. After getting said coffee I went and sat at the IPS frame to do the normal mornings sorting only to be told by a manager that drinking is not permitted during sorting time. He wanted me to get rid of my drink. I didn't of course but is this right? We're not allowed a drink during sorting time?
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by Acca Dacca »

mrbungle wrote:It was cold in our office this morning as the night staff had all the windows open all night so I decided to go and get a cup of coffee to warm up. After getting said coffee I went and sat at the IPS frame to do the normal mornings sorting only to be told by a manager that drinking is not permitted during sorting time. He wanted me to get rid of my drink. I didn't of course but is this right? We're not allowed a drink during sorting time?
Some managers will allow coffee but no, its not that yer not allowed a drink mores your not allowed any beverage that may spill and stain the mail. Water is allowed.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by Postie45 »

sometimes its best not kick up too much of a fuss about these kinda rules and they soon get forgotten
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by rehabron »

Provided u have a lid on your drink then normally this is not a problem.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by 2pints »

I have a large black one every morning.No spillages. :whistle


:chuckle
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Don't you love the folks who bring drinks to the IPS frame and then place their beverage in your way and not theirs? :cuppa
Viewfindergeneral
Posts: 267
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by Viewfindergeneral »

2pints wrote:I have a large black one every morning.No spillages. :whistle


:chuckle
Ooh eerr missus. I hope you take precautions!!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by krussel »

Wow night staff that takes me back :Very Happy

Yes this stupid stuff goes on. Get the lads together and when they call up the ips get everyone to queue for the loo. They soon get the idea.

Our office is like a oven with no windows to open as they all screwed shut. Its already 75 deg when I arrive at 6am. :sad:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by stokes11eg »

He may ban you from drinking at the frame, but al workplaces must allow you to have access to drinking water at all times.
mrbungle
Posts: 23
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 13:32
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by mrbungle »

Thanks for the guidance, just all seems really petty to me. Irritated and de-motivated me for the rest of the morning = bad man management.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by CharlesSpooner »

It is understandable - I've seen plenty of coffee stained mail over the years.

And as for the idiots who use perstops as teatrays :arrrghhh Or the packet bags in drop bag fittings as bins.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by maisymoo04 »

Night staff? Thought they got rid of them years back :shock:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Drinking while sorting?

Post by freelunch »

I've been drunk whilst sorting but that's from the night before.

Kudos to those guys still drinking at 6.30am on IPS - I doff my cap to ya :Applause
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson