ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Drinking while sorting?
-
mrbungle
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 13:32
- Gender: Male
Drinking while sorting?
It was cold in our office this morning as the night staff had all the windows open all night so I decided to go and get a cup of coffee to warm up. After getting said coffee I went and sat at the IPS frame to do the normal mornings sorting only to be told by a manager that drinking is not permitted during sorting time. He wanted me to get rid of my drink. I didn't of course but is this right? We're not allowed a drink during sorting time?
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3220
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
Some managers will allow coffee but no, its not that yer not allowed a drink mores your not allowed any beverage that may spill and stain the mail. Water is allowed.mrbungle wrote:It was cold in our office this morning as the night staff had all the windows open all night so I decided to go and get a cup of coffee to warm up. After getting said coffee I went and sat at the IPS frame to do the normal mornings sorting only to be told by a manager that drinking is not permitted during sorting time. He wanted me to get rid of my drink. I didn't of course but is this right? We're not allowed a drink during sorting time?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
sometimes its best not kick up too much of a fuss about these kinda rules and they soon get forgotten
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
Provided u have a lid on your drink then normally this is not a problem.
-
2pints
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
I have a large black one every morning.No spillages.

-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
Don't you love the folks who bring drinks to the IPS frame and then place their beverage in your way and not theirs? 
-
Viewfindergeneral
- Posts: 267
- Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 12:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
Ooh eerr missus. I hope you take precautions!!2pints wrote:I have a large black one every morning.No spillages.![]()
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Drinking while sorting?
Wow night staff that takes me back
Yes this stupid stuff goes on. Get the lads together and when they call up the ips get everyone to queue for the loo. They soon get the idea.
Our office is like a oven with no windows to open as they all screwed shut. Its already 75 deg when I arrive at 6am.
Yes this stupid stuff goes on. Get the lads together and when they call up the ips get everyone to queue for the loo. They soon get the idea.
Our office is like a oven with no windows to open as they all screwed shut. Its already 75 deg when I arrive at 6am.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
stokes11eg
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3077
- Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
- Gender: Female
Re: Drinking while sorting?
He may ban you from drinking at the frame, but al workplaces must allow you to have access to drinking water at all times.
-
mrbungle
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 13:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
Thanks for the guidance, just all seems really petty to me. Irritated and de-motivated me for the rest of the morning = bad man management.
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
It is understandable - I've seen plenty of coffee stained mail over the years.
And as for the idiots who use perstops as teatrays
Or the packet bags in drop bag fittings as bins.
And as for the idiots who use perstops as teatrays
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: Drinking while sorting?
Night staff? Thought they got rid of them years back 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
freelunch
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Drinking while sorting?
I've been drunk whilst sorting but that's from the night before.
Kudos to those guys still drinking at 6.30am on IPS - I doff my cap to ya
Kudos to those guys still drinking at 6.30am on IPS - I doff my cap to ya
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson