ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Discuss http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 97&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Extraction of Personal Mail by RM Employees

Royal Mail employees working in the operational pipeline may come into contact with personal mail
addressed to themselves.

This is particularly true for our people who work in the Delivery Office that serves their home
address and that on occasion, there may be circumstances where someone may have a need to
extract their own personal mail whilst at work.

This process must be followed in order for an employee to extract items of personal mail at work
under such circumstances.

1. A request to extract personal mail item(s) must be made to a manager.
2. The manager must check that the item(s) are addressed solely to the employee and at the
employee’s home address.
3. The manager must sign and date the item(s) to show that the extraction has been
authorised
4. Only mail items addressed to the individual employee may be extracted
5. Mail cannot be extracted for spouses, children, relatives or neighbours etc (Mr Smith cannot
extract mail addressed to Mr and Mrs Smith – this mail must be delivered as addressed)

Failure to adhere to these procedures may lead to Conduct Code action being taken.

Please Note: The above does not prevent a Delivery Officer delivering to their own address
providing they reside on their delivery route and they do not divert from route sequence to make
their own mail delivery
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

That's half of my office being conducted then. :left:
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by tonytucker »

Jefferson Starfish wrote:That's half of my office being conducted then. :left:
Same here what a load of jobs worth bollocks,more important things within Royal Mail to worry about
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by Postie45 »

so do we have a REASON why this practise isnt allowed ?
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by chrisj »

tonytucker wrote:
Jefferson Starfish wrote:That's half of my office being conducted then. :left:
Same here what a load of jobs worth bollocks,more important things within Royal Mail to worry about
Well, Yes and No...

It is probably not a big deal but it could well be...

I do not like it when a postie comes to my frame to extract his mail without even asking me... As for taking mail for family members and relatives - that can be dodgy. Mail is a personal thing and security of mail is that of the postie and the office.

I had a member of staff gave me a funny look when I told him to make sure he 'scanned' the Signed For' packet for his family member. He told me I was being officious... Well, I replied that the sender might well go and track the mail to find out whether it has been delivered or not.

Personally, I do like the way some posties act with impunity; as if the place belongs to them and feel they can do anything and get away with anything.

Posties can be just as fraudulent as anyone else. What about taking the mail item and then saying that they have not received the item?

I do not work in the same area that I live and I am happy to wait for my mail to be delivered at home through the letter box... No need grabbing payslips or even rifling through the 'mech' box to extract one's payslip.

*Lastly, I do not like the way some of them open the mail and then put it back in the slot or some simply throw the mail in the bin - that is not right?
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by Newbie001 »

Postie can only take his own mail. Who's to say they are even still living there. There might have been a separation or divorce. :crazy:
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by k979aaa »

Postie45 wrote:so do we have a REASON why this practise isnt allowed ?
So they can sack more posties presumably!
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by Kings Norton »

You cant take your wife's or husbands mail/packets home but you launch a packet anywhere down the block when your on your walk.. Heard it all now.....Jokers
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by chrisj »

I suppose most posties are in a happy marriage and they know everything about each other's spending habits and so on...

I guess a husband or wife will be mindful of the fact that spouse works in the delivery office and will probably do their secret shopping (if any) through a courier or in the shops for real.

I had our 'Rep' once took out his son's giro without telling me; when the son asked me 'have I got any letter (giro, of course), I said 'yes' because I saw it previously... But it had been extracted - so I had to tell him that his old man might have taken the letter... :nervous
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by k979aaa »

Kings Norton wrote:You cant take your wife's or husbands mail/packets home but you launch a packet anywhere down the block when your on your walk.. Heard it all now.....Jokers
They don't trust us at all well the feeling is f***ing mutual and as for the bastards at the top I'd rather some well known Australian painter and touchy feely guy looked after my kids than trust any of them!
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by Hitcher »

Chap in our office checks his family's mail 3 or 4 times each morning and opens letters addressed to his wife!
Jamesethefirst
Posts: 146
Joined: 10 Dec 2013, 17:48
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by Jamesethefirst »

Jefferson Starfish wrote:That's half of my office being conducted then. :left:
Just half?
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by chrisj »

k979aaa wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:You cant take your wife's or husbands mail/packets home but you launch a packet anywhere down the block when your on your walk.. Heard it all now.....Jokers
They don't trust us at all well the feeling is f***ing mutual and as for the bastards at the top I'd rather some well known Australian painter and touchy feely guy looked after my kids than trust any of them!
No way!!! It is not funny but I had to laugh (nervously)...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like most of these things an incident might have happened somewhere that makes them put things in writing to cover themselves.

But we cannot trust everyone and we are in a workplace so should act professionally, I believe.
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by freelunch »

Spoke to our DOM about this a while back. He said we weren't to have items for family members signed out by management, only our own personal mail/parcels.
He said he had personal experience of posties taking items for ex-partners/former spouses.
So we use the "Something For You" cards and get our families' stuff via the Callers' office :crazy:
Last edited by freelunch on 05 Jul 2014, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Personal Mail for Delivery Staff

Post by bustedflush »

chrisj wrote:
tonytucker wrote:
Jefferson Starfish wrote:That's half of my office being conducted then. :left:
Same here what a load of jobs worth bollocks,more important things within Royal Mail to worry about
Well, Yes and No...

It is probably not a big deal but it could well be...

I do not like it when a postie comes to my frame to extract his mail without even asking me... As for taking mail for family members and relatives - that can be dodgy. Mail is a personal thing and security of mail is that of the postie and the office.

I had a member of staff gave me a funny look when I told him to make sure he 'scanned' the Signed For' packet for his family member. He told me I was being officious... Well, I replied that the sender might well go and track the mail to find out whether it has been delivered or not.

Personally, I do like the way some posties act with impunity; as if the place belongs to them and feel they can do anything and get away with anything.

Posties can be just as fraudulent as anyone else. What about taking the mail item and then saying that they have not received the item?

I do not work in the same area that I live and I am happy to wait for my mail to be delivered at home through the letter box... No need grabbing payslips or even rifling through the 'mech' box to extract one's payslip.

*Lastly, I do not like the way some of them open the mail and then put it back in the slot or some simply throw the mail in the bin - that is not right?

I actually agree with all of that - it's what I could've said in a nutshell. :Applause