ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Drive or Walk.
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2094
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Drive or Walk.
Having a resign in our office following revision ,dont know whether to go for drive[not van share ] or stay on a walk.Always been a walking man but the days of finishing early are long gone and im shattered in the evening now due to the size of the walks.Drivers never seem stressed out dont do d2ds and just plod along,What do you lot prefer ?
-
GoingRoundTheBend
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Drive or Walk.
Id say go for a drive, the ones in our DO have it so easy, they only do half of the tracked and the rest are given to van shares. In the morning the DOM will say to them can you manage today to which some drivers do their best impression of a plumber by shaking their head and exhaling and saying no
Then the rest of the packages are given to some poor sod who has too take the excess for all the rounds to deliver
Then the rest of the packages are given to some poor sod who has too take the excess for all the rounds to deliver
-
pyphon
- Posts: 231
- Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 20:57
- Gender: Male
- Location: North East England
Re: Drive or Walk.
go for a drive, piece of piss, retirement job as you do nowt.
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Drive or Walk.
Not in our DOchickenwittle wrote:Having a resign in our office following revision ,dont know whether to go for drive[not van share ] or stay on a walk.Always been a walking man but the days of finishing early are long gone and im shattered in the evening now due to the size of the walks.Drivers never seem stressed out dont do d2ds and just plod along,What do you lot prefer ?
All posties on deliveries have to do D2D's, and everyone is stressed to a point anyway due to the times of the deliveries.. cutting off/lapsing/covering other duties etc etc as well as the amount of D2D's this week. No one has got a chance to "plod along" here, least of all this week. Everyone in our DO will be glad when this week is over and done with, due to the daft amount of D2D's we've got. [I've spoken about this elsewhere - The "How was your day" thread. ]
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
fatmike
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 27 May 2011, 14:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Drive or Walk.
Depends on your office really. Most of our driving jobs are big rural rounds, and I find it just as tiring to keep getting in and out of the van. The walking rounds are a little shorter, but then you're on your feet non stop. It's tiring either way.
Now if only there was a mode of transport that could carry the weight of a bag and give you a break from long walks between houses...
I did recently see a posie on a bike at another office. Guess there's a few still around.
Now if only there was a mode of transport that could carry the weight of a bag and give you a break from long walks between houses...
I did recently see a posie on a bike at another office. Guess there's a few still around.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Drive or Walk.
Our re-pick is just starting now and I have been told I can only sign for a driving duty because I am the driver on my duty now (somebody is picking my duty in the re-pick
) I wanted to pick the wallker duty but I can't, so I have to leave the sub-office I have been at for 10 years 
We have been told, only walkers can pick walks and drivers can only pick driver.
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only
We have been told, only walkers can pick walks and drivers can only pick driver.
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Drive or Walk.
Tell them you don't drive anymore,they can't force you to.dave72 wrote:
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Drive or Walk.
fatmike wrote:
I did recently see a posie on a bike at another office.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Drive or Walk.
No but they can find you suitable employment in another office.Bahia Feliz wrote:Tell them you don't drive anymore,they can't force you to.dave72 wrote:
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Drive or Walk.
Did you say "hello flower"?Bahia Feliz wrote:fatmike wrote:
I did recently see a posie on a bike at another office.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Drive or Walk.
That's trueclashcityrocker wrote:No but they can find you suitable employment in another office.Bahia Feliz wrote:Tell them you don't drive anymore,they can't force you to.dave72 wrote:
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Drive or Walk.
I work in a office of 4 people (2 drivers, 2 walkers) 1 walker has picked his duty (my current partner) and the driver from the other p&l has picked mine. The walker from that p&l has the choice of either the walk or the drive and is picking the driver part but I am not allowed to pick the walk as I am down as a driver onlyclashcityrocker wrote:No but they can find you suitable employment in another office.Bahia Feliz wrote:Tell them you don't drive anymore,they can't force you to.dave72 wrote:
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only
We've not had planning done in our office to say who is the designated driver or walker, we had 2 vans sent to us and told "sort it out between yourselves" (the loops, walks and who does what). I took the driver part on because my current partner didn't want to do the driver
My problem is now, somebody with 1 year seniority would beat my 17 years to the walk because I am down as driver only
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Drive or Walk.
Ive been covering a driving firms duty for months now. The duty isnt officially mine and I know I wont get it once its advertised but its an absolute doddle. Im out no longer than 3hrs,I have 200 del points included so not many packets or d2ds to prep. Whoever gets it permanently will have an easy life,plus its a 1pm finish
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Drive or Walk.
I think your age comes into it as well.
If your struggling with the walking than I would say that your better off with a drive.
I choose a walk but that was purely not wanting the responsibility or risk on my insurance driving a van. Personal choice.
If your struggling with the walking than I would say that your better off with a drive.
I choose a walk but that was purely not wanting the responsibility or risk on my insurance driving a van. Personal choice.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........