ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Drive or Walk.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chickenwittle
Posts: 2094
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Drive or Walk.

Post by chickenwittle »

Having a resign in our office following revision ,dont know whether to go for drive[not van share ] or stay on a walk.Always been a walking man but the days of finishing early are long gone and im shattered in the evening now due to the size of the walks.Drivers never seem stressed out dont do d2ds and just plod along,What do you lot prefer ?
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

Id say go for a drive, the ones in our DO have it so easy, they only do half of the tracked and the rest are given to van shares. In the morning the DOM will say to them can you manage today to which some drivers do their best impression of a plumber by shaking their head and exhaling and saying no :crazy:
Then the rest of the packages are given to some poor sod who has too take the excess for all the rounds to deliver :arrrghhh
pyphon
Posts: 231
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: North East England

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by pyphon »

go for a drive, piece of piss, retirement job as you do nowt.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by wabbithunta »

chickenwittle wrote:Having a resign in our office following revision ,dont know whether to go for drive[not van share ] or stay on a walk.Always been a walking man but the days of finishing early are long gone and im shattered in the evening now due to the size of the walks.Drivers never seem stressed out dont do d2ds and just plod along,What do you lot prefer ?
Not in our DO

All posties on deliveries have to do D2D's, and everyone is stressed to a point anyway due to the times of the deliveries.. cutting off/lapsing/covering other duties etc etc as well as the amount of D2D's this week. No one has got a chance to "plod along" here, least of all this week. Everyone in our DO will be glad when this week is over and done with, due to the daft amount of D2D's we've got. [I've spoken about this elsewhere - The "How was your day" thread. ]
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
fatmike
Posts: 33
Joined: 27 May 2011, 14:52
Gender: Male

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by fatmike »

Depends on your office really. Most of our driving jobs are big rural rounds, and I find it just as tiring to keep getting in and out of the van. The walking rounds are a little shorter, but then you're on your feet non stop. It's tiring either way.

Now if only there was a mode of transport that could carry the weight of a bag and give you a break from long walks between houses... :hmmmm

I did recently see a posie on a bike at another office. Guess there's a few still around.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by dave72 »

Our re-pick is just starting now and I have been told I can only sign for a driving duty because I am the driver on my duty now (somebody is picking my duty in the re-pick :left: ) I wanted to pick the wallker duty but I can't, so I have to leave the sub-office I have been at for 10 years :sad:

We have been told, only walkers can pick walks and drivers can only pick driver.

I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only :hmmmm
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by Bahia Feliz »

dave72 wrote:
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only :hmmmm
Tell them you don't drive anymore,they can't force you to.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by Bahia Feliz »

fatmike wrote:
I did recently see a posie on a bike at another office.
:shock:
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
dave72 wrote:
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only :hmmmm
Tell them you don't drive anymore,they can't force you to.
No but they can find you suitable employment in another office.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by wabbithunta »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
fatmike wrote:
I did recently see a posie on a bike at another office.
:shock:
Did you say "hello flower"? :crazy:
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by Bahia Feliz »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
dave72 wrote:
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only :hmmmm
Tell them you don't drive anymore,they can't force you to.
No but they can find you suitable employment in another office.
That's true :wave
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by dave72 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
dave72 wrote:
I can't recall signing a new contract to say I am a driver only :hmmmm
Tell them you don't drive anymore,they can't force you to.
No but they can find you suitable employment in another office.
I work in a office of 4 people (2 drivers, 2 walkers) 1 walker has picked his duty (my current partner) and the driver from the other p&l has picked mine. The walker from that p&l has the choice of either the walk or the drive and is picking the driver part but I am not allowed to pick the walk as I am down as a driver only :confused

We've not had planning done in our office to say who is the designated driver or walker, we had 2 vans sent to us and told "sort it out between yourselves" (the loops, walks and who does what). I took the driver part on because my current partner didn't want to do the driver

My problem is now, somebody with 1 year seniority would beat my 17 years to the walk because I am down as driver only :arrrghhh
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by postiewhite »

Ive been covering a driving firms duty for months now. The duty isnt officially mine and I know I wont get it once its advertised but its an absolute doddle. Im out no longer than 3hrs,I have 200 del points included so not many packets or d2ds to prep. Whoever gets it permanently will have an easy life,plus its a 1pm finish
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Drive or Walk.

Post by krussel »

I think your age comes into it as well. :hmmmm

If your struggling with the walking than I would say that your better off with a drive.

I choose a walk but that was purely not wanting the responsibility or risk on my insurance driving a van. Personal choice.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........