ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can reserves get internal transfers?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
freeindeed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
Gender: Male

Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by freeindeed »

Hello,

I am fairly new in the job - at my interview I was told that good workers will get a permanent contract between 6 months to 1 year. I now discover that several excellent reserves are not permanent after 3 years+. I am hoping to move to a different part of the country in the near future, and so wondered if it's possible to get an internal move as a part-timer?

Cheers.
Burnleyfc
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Jun 2014, 16:21
Gender: Female

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by Burnleyfc »

Yes u can get a transfer I think the period u have to work for rm is four months maybe six before u can transfer.... I think
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by spen »

Six months before you can transfer
freeindeed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by freeindeed »

That's good news, thanks.

When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
eggraidonmojo
Posts: 120
Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by eggraidonmojo »

That's all I can see too.

There's a difference between part time and temp (fixed term contract) employees.

According to the document attached to this post (http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) anyone who is permanent and has completed 26 weeks at their office can apply for transfers - so that excludes fixed term contracters, I think.

According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...

People say that the best way to get a transfer is to go into an office/contact them directly - who knows you may even be able to get one whilst still a fixed termer if you are lucky...

Good luck,
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by bustedflush »

freeindeed wrote:Hello,

I am fairly new in the job - at my interview I was told that good workers will get a permanent contract between 6 months to 1 year. I now discover that several excellent reserves are not permanent after 3 years+. I am hoping to move to a different part of the country in the near future, and so wondered if it's possible to get an internal move as a part-timer?

Cheers.

:chuckle :chuckle :funneh :funneh :funneh :funneh
freeindeed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by freeindeed »

eggraidonmojo wrote:That's all I can see too.

There's a difference between part time and temp (fixed term contract) employees.

According to the document attached to this post (http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) anyone who is permanent and has completed 26 weeks at their office can apply for transfers - so that excludes fixed term contracters, I think.

According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...

People say that the best way to get a transfer is to go into an office/contact them directly - who knows you may even be able to get one whilst still a fixed termer if you are lucky...

Good luck,
Thankyou, that's very useful!
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by terry2972 »

You don't have to wait 6 months I got a move after 3 months I did the leg work contacted the new office I suppose I was lucky
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by wacko74 »

freeindeed wrote:That's good news, thanks.

When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
The whole transfer system is useless and has recently (finally!) been acknowledged by the CWU as being not fit for purpose and they're supposed to be working with RM to improve it.

I was signed up to the internal job system for 18 months for a particular area and didn't receive a single alert... at the same time I got my sister to register on the job alert system open to the general public using her email address and she received two alerts for vacancies available in that very same area!!

The best thing you can do is contact in person the DOM's at whatever D.O's you're looking to transfer to.
new2me
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by new2me »

freeindeed wrote: When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
For the past couple of years of looking myself, there have been several pages of postie vacancies, but over the last few weeks that has sharply dropped. Other threads have suggested that reserves cannot get transfers, so I think it's down to your DO and the intended DO to allow it.
freeindeed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by freeindeed »

eggraidonmojo wrote:
According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...
Do you know anything else about this agreement? Is it in a specific document? Thanks.
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by lollollol »

new2me wrote:
freeindeed wrote: When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
For the past couple of years of looking myself, there have been several pages of postie vacancies, but over the last few weeks that has sharply dropped. Other threads have suggested that reserves cannot get transfers, so I think it's down to your DO and the intended DO to allow it.
Recruitment been put on hold nationally over the Summer months I've heard... if an OPG leaves the business their hours are to be absorbed... :roll:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

freeindeed wrote:
eggraidonmojo wrote:
According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...
Do you know anything else about this agreement? Is it in a specific document? Thanks.
AGENDA FOR GROWTH, STABILITY AND LONG TERM SUCCESS http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 53&t=58696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 10 of the document at the link
2.7.6 Employees will not be employed on a temporary contract exceeding two years unless it has been agreed by the Employer and the Union that there are very exceptional circumstances. The position of temporary contract Employees will be kept under regular review, with a view to converting to permanent contracts where and when possible.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
freeindeed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
Gender: Male

Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?

Post by freeindeed »

Thanks TrueBlue! IF i get to two years, i will certainly be raising this with the union - cheers.