This is wrong and i believe legislation supports my reasoning. What they are saying is that if there is no specific opt out by the household, Royal Mail will automatically opt you in. I believe this is contrary to CPUTR 2008.
The Regulations implement the European wide 'Unfair Commercial Practices Directive' (2005/29/EC) Time for me to do some digging
Seems i am correct under the Data Protection Act 1998. Royal Mail will have to send every address in the country, including business as well as residential a form with either an "Opt In" or "Opt out" box to tick. You cannot do implied consent. Before anyone asks i have just spoken to the Information Commissionaires Office and i am now sending them my complaint as a consumer. That complaint in writing as to Royal Mails total disregard to the security of my personal Data
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
Names removed
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
newtimes
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
That person is making a fair point, anyone can ask too.
Click sign up and paste for FOI (Freedom of Information Request)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/ico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the official ruling under the Data Protection Act 1998.That Royal Mail will have to send every address in the country, including business as well as residential a form with either an "Opt In" or "Opt out" box to tick.
What is the official ruling under the Data Protection Act 1998 that you cannot do implied consent.
NB. Your name will be made public
Click sign up and paste for FOI (Freedom of Information Request)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/ico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the official ruling under the Data Protection Act 1998.That Royal Mail will have to send every address in the country, including business as well as residential a form with either an "Opt In" or "Opt out" box to tick.
What is the official ruling under the Data Protection Act 1998 that you cannot do implied consent.
NB. Your name will be made public
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
I once had a customer come out and ask me their neighbours name as they were issuing court proceedings against them. Obviously I couldn't tell them. If I then leave them a parcel for the neighbour I would have been supplying them the information I am not allowed to give them.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
newtimes wrote:That person is making a fair point, anyone can ask too.
Click sign up and paste for FOI (Freedom of Information Request)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/ico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the official ruling under the Data Protection Act 1998.That Royal Mail will have to send every address in the country, including business as well as residential a form with either an "Opt In" or "Opt out" box to tick.
What is the official ruling under the Data Protection Act 1998 that you cannot do implied consent.
NB. Your name will be made public
If you ask Royal Mail they won't answer, they'll reply that since privatisation they are no longer subject to the FOI Act.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
micksurrey wrote:I once had a customer come out and ask me their neighbours name as they were issuing court proceedings against them. Obviously I couldn't tell them. If I then leave them a parcel for the neighbour I would have been supplying them the information I am not allowed to give them.
I must ask the obvious - why would a neighbour embroiled in legal action against the other, take in their parcels??
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
To get the information they were looking for when they asked the postie.bustedflush wrote:micksurrey wrote:I once had a customer come out and ask me their neighbours name as they were issuing court proceedings against them. Obviously I couldn't tell them. If I then leave them a parcel for the neighbour I would have been supplying them the information I am not allowed to give them.
I must ask the obvious - why would a neighbour embroiled in legal action against the other, take in their parcels??
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:To get the information they were looking for when they asked the postie.bustedflush wrote:micksurrey wrote:I once had a customer come out and ask me their neighbours name as they were issuing court proceedings against them. Obviously I couldn't tell them. If I then leave them a parcel for the neighbour I would have been supplying them the information I am not allowed to give them.
I must ask the obvious - why would a neighbour embroiled in legal action against the other, take in their parcels??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
This will then also affect other delivery companies as well I assume? 
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
The legal action by that neighbour was probably about a missing parcel they took in and never handed it over !!!
I think rm should have sent out a sticker to every house saying do you wish us to leave it with a neighbour yes or no - use it or bin it , simple as....
I think rm should have sent out a sticker to every house saying do you wish us to leave it with a neighbour yes or no - use it or bin it , simple as....
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
Well it got the OK from Ofcom.
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
We did that back in 2011/12, as a trial, and we delivered RM info on this very subject to every house and it included a sticker for them to put on their door if they wanted to opt out. Mind you to the ones on doors on my delivery are faded and peeling off on some doors.5plusbonusball wrote:The legal action by that neighbour was probably about a missing parcel they took in and never handed it over !!!![]()
I think rm should have sent out a sticker to every house saying do you wish us to leave it with a neighbour yes or no - use it or bin it , simple as....
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... condoc.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Royal Mail – roll out of Delivery to Neighbour scheme
Edited to add image of Opt Out Sticker2.14 This trial allowed postmen/women to leave undeliverable post with a neighbour if the
intended recipient was not at home to receive it. They were to identify a suitable
nearby property, attempt to deliver the item there and ask the neighbour if they would
be willing to take receipt of the item on behalf of the addressee. If they agreed to do
so, the postman or woman would record the neighbouring address on the ‘Something
for you’ card and post this card at the recipient’s address. Recipients who opted out
via a sticker displayed near their letterbox were not to have their post left with a
neighbour or be asked to take post for a neighbour, and instead their post would be
returned to the delivery office or post office as usual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:To get the information they were looking for when they asked the postie.bustedflush wrote:micksurrey wrote:I once had a customer come out and ask me their neighbours name as they were issuing court proceedings against them. Obviously I couldn't tell them. If I then leave them a parcel for the neighbour I would have been supplying them the information I am not allowed to give them.
I must ask the obvious - why would a neighbour embroiled in legal action against the other, take in their parcels??
Yes, yes, but the postie already said he was aware of the impending legal action and ipso facto the motive for the neighbour's offer therefore would be complicit surely? Had he not been aware, then of course it could be passed off as an innocent action, 's what I meant.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
Glad you showed the opt out sticker, I forgot what they looked like as all the ones on my round have fadedwabbithunta wrote:We did that back in 2011/12, as a trial, and we delivered RM info on this very subject to every house and it included a sticker for them to put on their door if they wanted to opt out. Mind you to the ones on doors on my delivery are faded and peeling off on some doors.5plusbonusball wrote:The legal action by that neighbour was probably about a missing parcel they took in and never handed it over !!!![]()
I think rm should have sent out a sticker to every house saying do you wish us to leave it with a neighbour yes or no - use it or bin it , simple as....
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... condoc.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Royal Mail – roll out of Delivery to Neighbour scheme
Edited to add image of Opt Out Sticker2.14 This trial allowed postmen/women to leave undeliverable post with a neighbour if the
intended recipient was not at home to receive it. They were to identify a suitable
nearby property, attempt to deliver the item there and ask the neighbour if they would
be willing to take receipt of the item on behalf of the addressee. If they agreed to do
so, the postman or woman would record the neighbouring address on the ‘Something
for you’ card and post this card at the recipient’s address. Recipients who opted out
via a sticker displayed near their letterbox were not to have their post left with a
neighbour or be asked to take post for a neighbour, and instead their post would be
returned to the delivery office or post office as usual.
-
plymouth3
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 06 Jul 2010, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
We sent out details, regarding leaving packets with neighbours that included, stickers on my round, and some letter boxes say if not in please return to delivery office.
No other delivery couriers have bothered to do this
No other delivery couriers have bothered to do this
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: Interesting post on FaceBook about delivery to Neighbour
I remember people had to apply for a sticker, which is only something you would do if you had the time, I imagine if we gave them out then very many would use them, at least it means theyre thinking of us posties .
One pet hate of mine is answering the door to a hermes or dhl chap who is dropping off a neighbours packet, I mean they only have about 30 packets a day and can't be bothered to write out a slip.
One pet hate of mine is answering the door to a hermes or dhl chap who is dropping off a neighbours packet, I mean they only have about 30 packets a day and can't be bothered to write out a slip.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??