ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wiganlad
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Jun 2014, 07:54
Gender: Male

hours

Post by wiganlad »

Hi
Could somebody give me some advice I've been offered a contract for 24 hours a week
Spread over 5 days so will my mail be sorted for me and I just deliver also could I be asked to work
Overtime on my day off
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by Hitcher »

If it's anything like our office then you'll be prepping and delivering on duties of about 6h30m to 7h.
Rudolph_Hucker
Posts: 196
Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male
Location: Sorry but you don't have the necessary security clearance.

Re: hours

Post by Rudolph_Hucker »

Depends on the office, as above.

I was on a twenty four hour contract and did three days of eight hours. I was doing full time rounds, prepping the lot.

Personally I preferred it, as it cut down on traveling expenses. :Very Happy
If you do a job too well, you’ll get stuck with it.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by Newbie001 »

I'm also on a 24.5 hour contract.
Apparently you're supposed to work 5 hour days (lose half an hour somewhere, I presume it covers finishing early on Saturday/Tuesday sometimes). All you're mail is supposed to be prepped and ready. And some p+l walks are supposed to be designed to accommodate you're working hours.
Been on the job three months now and it's never happened yet.
You'll more than likely be used as a spare doing different full duties all the time. If you're really lucky you'll get put with a decent p+l partner for a while who'll show you the ropes.
Don't forget to take you're 20 min break each day, most full-timers take there break before they start the walk and won't accommodate you having a break. And remember anything after the 5 hours is overtime. Don't forget to claim.
wiganlad
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Jun 2014, 07:54
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by wiganlad »

Newbie001 wrote:I'm also on a 24.5 hour contract.
Apparently you're supposed to work 5 hour days (lose half an hour somewhere, I presume it covers finishing early on Saturday/Tuesday sometimes). All you're mail is supposed to be prepped and ready. And some p+l walks are supposed to be designed to accommodate you're working hours.
Been on the job three months now and it's never happened yet.
You'll more than likely be used as a spare doing different full duties all the time. If you're really lucky you'll get put with a decent p+l partner for a while who'll show you the ropes.
Don't forget to take you're 20 min break each day, most full-timers take there break before they start the walk and won't accommodate you having a break. And remember anything after the 5 hours is overtime. Don't forget to claim.
Thanks for the info not sure what to expect
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

wiganlad wrote:
Newbie001 wrote:I'm also on a 24.5 hour contract.
Apparently you're supposed to work 5 hour days (lose half an hour somewhere, I presume it covers finishing early on Saturday/Tuesday sometimes). All you're mail is supposed to be prepped and ready. And some p+l walks are supposed to be designed to accommodate you're working hours.
Been on the job three months now and it's never happened yet.
You'll more than likely be used as a spare doing different full duties all the time. If you're really lucky you'll get put with a decent p+l partner for a while who'll show you the ropes.
Don't forget to take you're 20 min break each day, most full-timers take there break before they start the walk and won't accommodate you having a break. And remember anything after the 5 hours is overtime. Don't forget to claim.
Thanks for the info not sure what to expect

every office is different and what you will find in your office may be completely different, what indoor and outdoor work you hav varies from office to office up and down the country
wiganlad
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Jun 2014, 07:54
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by wiganlad »

zx135 wrote:
wiganlad wrote:
Newbie001 wrote:I'm also on a 24.5 hour contract.
Apparently you're supposed to work 5 hour days (lose half an hour somewhere, I presume it covers finishing early on Saturday/Tuesday sometimes). All you're mail is supposed to be prepped and ready. And some p+l walks are supposed to be designed to accommodate you're working hours.
Been on the job three months now and it's never happened yet.
You'll more than likely be used as a spare doing different full duties all the time. If you're really lucky you'll get put with a decent p+l partner for a while who'll show you the ropes.
Don't forget to take you're 20 min break each day, most full-timers take there break before they start the walk and won't accommodate you having a break. And remember anything after the 5 hours is overtime. Don't forget to claim.
Thanks for the info not sure what to expect

every office is different and what you will find in your office may be completely different, what indoor and outdoor work you hav varies from office to office up and down the country
I hope I'm not asked to work my days off does anybody get asked to work
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Re: hours

Post by GT85 »

They may ask but you can say no
We're all here because we're not all there
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by Newbie001 »

Wasn't trying to put you off earlier, its a good job, but they will take liberty's if you let them. Every office is different I'm sure.
I've been asked to work my day off a few times, did it once, only got four and a half hours for it even though I worked over 5 hours. Got told it was a standard thing and couldn't claim overtime. Needless to say I haven't done it since. Up to you really.
wiganlad
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Jun 2014, 07:54
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by wiganlad »

Newbie001 wrote:Wasn't trying to put you off earlier, its a good job, but they will take liberty's if you let them. Every office is different I'm sure.
I've been asked to work my day off a few times, did it once, only got four and a half hours for it even though I worked over 5 hours. Got told it was a standard thing and couldn't claim overtime. Needless to say I haven't done it since. Up to you really.
Hope I've done right thing giving my job up to join royal mail got a feeling its not going be one of my better moves
Got a feeling the p is going to be took more often than not
Ray Von
Posts: 15
Joined: 14 Jan 2013, 09:46
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by Ray Von »

I don't know what your previous job was but as far as I'm concerned we are well paid for the job we do. I have definitely had worse jobs!! Saying that, i wouldn't like to be starting out again. As a previous poster mentioned, all offices are different. Hopefully you will be left on a duty for a while to get used to the job. Good luck!!
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by greengiant »

wiganlad wrote:Hi
Could somebody give me some advice I've been offered a contract for 24 hours a week
Spread over 5 days so will my mail be sorted for me and I just deliver also could I be asked to work
Overtime on my day off
Don't be surprised if all your mail isn't prepped for you arriving. At least it's good experience for you having to do some prepping in case a full time contract comes up! At least that's what I say to myself arriving with two trays full of mail & a bag of packets to be done.

Anyway, once you get out the office and on your round its a great job, fresh air, plenty of exercise! :nana
wiganlad
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Jun 2014, 07:54
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by wiganlad »

greengiant wrote:
wiganlad wrote:Hi
Could somebody give me some advice I've been offered a contract for 24 hours a week
Spread over 5 days so will my mail be sorted for me and I just deliver also could I be asked to work
Overtime on my day off
Don't be surprised if all your mail isn't prepped for you arriving. At least it's good experience for you having to do some prepping in case a full time contract comes up! At least that's what I say to myself arriving with two trays full of mail & a bag of packets to be done.

Anyway, once you get out the office and on your round its a great job, fresh air, plenty of exercise! :nana
Thanks for the advice I'm looking forward to it just hope I don't get dumped somewere on my own with a big bag of
Mail in some area I ain't got a clue were I am
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by terry2972 »

You might well do but in my experience the walks lead you around you will be slow at first
as letter boxes in some houses are in strange places and you will probably be doing park and loop so you will hopefully have a partner
All the best
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: hours

Post by Nondescript »

wiganlad wrote:
greengiant wrote:
wiganlad wrote:Hi
Could somebody give me some advice I've been offered a contract for 24 hours a week
Spread over 5 days so will my mail be sorted for me and I just deliver also could I be asked to work
Overtime on my day off
Don't be surprised if all your mail isn't prepped for you arriving. At least it's good experience for you having to do some prepping in case a full time contract comes up! At least that's what I say to myself arriving with two trays full of mail & a bag of packets to be done.

Anyway, once you get out the office and on your round its a great job, fresh air, plenty of exercise! :nana
Thanks for the advice I'm looking forward to it just hope I don't get dumped somewere on my own with a big bag of
Mail in some area I ain't got a clue were I am
Wigan delivery office has had park and loop for quite a while so you won't be on your own, you'll have a partner to show you the ropes.