ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Can reserves get internal transfers?
-
freeindeed
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Can reserves get internal transfers?
Hello,
I am fairly new in the job - at my interview I was told that good workers will get a permanent contract between 6 months to 1 year. I now discover that several excellent reserves are not permanent after 3 years+. I am hoping to move to a different part of the country in the near future, and so wondered if it's possible to get an internal move as a part-timer?
Cheers.
I am fairly new in the job - at my interview I was told that good workers will get a permanent contract between 6 months to 1 year. I now discover that several excellent reserves are not permanent after 3 years+. I am hoping to move to a different part of the country in the near future, and so wondered if it's possible to get an internal move as a part-timer?
Cheers.
-
Burnleyfc
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 04 Jun 2014, 16:21
- Gender: Female
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
Yes u can get a transfer I think the period u have to work for rm is four months maybe six before u can transfer.... I think
-
spen
- Posts: 531
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
Six months before you can transfer
-
freeindeed
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
That's good news, thanks.
When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
-
eggraidonmojo
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 06 Nov 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
That's all I can see too.
There's a difference between part time and temp (fixed term contract) employees.
According to the document attached to this post (http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) anyone who is permanent and has completed 26 weeks at their office can apply for transfers - so that excludes fixed term contracters, I think.
According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...
People say that the best way to get a transfer is to go into an office/contact them directly - who knows you may even be able to get one whilst still a fixed termer if you are lucky...
Good luck,
There's a difference between part time and temp (fixed term contract) employees.
According to the document attached to this post (http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) anyone who is permanent and has completed 26 weeks at their office can apply for transfers - so that excludes fixed term contracters, I think.
According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...
People say that the best way to get a transfer is to go into an office/contact them directly - who knows you may even be able to get one whilst still a fixed termer if you are lucky...
Good luck,
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
freeindeed wrote:Hello,
I am fairly new in the job - at my interview I was told that good workers will get a permanent contract between 6 months to 1 year. I now discover that several excellent reserves are not permanent after 3 years+. I am hoping to move to a different part of the country in the near future, and so wondered if it's possible to get an internal move as a part-timer?
Cheers.
-
freeindeed
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
Thankyou, that's very useful!eggraidonmojo wrote:That's all I can see too.
There's a difference between part time and temp (fixed term contract) employees.
According to the document attached to this post (http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) anyone who is permanent and has completed 26 weeks at their office can apply for transfers - so that excludes fixed term contracters, I think.
According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...
People say that the best way to get a transfer is to go into an office/contact them directly - who knows you may even be able to get one whilst still a fixed termer if you are lucky...
Good luck,
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
You don't have to wait 6 months I got a move after 3 months I did the leg work contacted the new office I suppose I was lucky
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
The whole transfer system is useless and has recently (finally!) been acknowledged by the CWU as being not fit for purpose and they're supposed to be working with RM to improve it.freeindeed wrote:That's good news, thanks.
When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
I was signed up to the internal job system for 18 months for a particular area and didn't receive a single alert... at the same time I got my sister to register on the job alert system open to the general public using her email address and she received two alerts for vacancies available in that very same area!!
The best thing you can do is contact in person the DOM's at whatever D.O's you're looking to transfer to.
-
new2me
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 21 Nov 2013, 06:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
For the past couple of years of looking myself, there have been several pages of postie vacancies, but over the last few weeks that has sharply dropped. Other threads have suggested that reserves cannot get transfers, so I think it's down to your DO and the intended DO to allow it.freeindeed wrote: When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
-
freeindeed
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
Do you know anything else about this agreement? Is it in a specific document? Thanks.eggraidonmojo wrote:
According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...
-
lollollol
- Posts: 155
- Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
Recruitment been put on hold nationally over the Summer months I've heard... if an OPG leaves the business their hours are to be absorbed...new2me wrote:For the past couple of years of looking myself, there have been several pages of postie vacancies, but over the last few weeks that has sharply dropped. Other threads have suggested that reserves cannot get transfers, so I think it's down to your DO and the intended DO to allow it.freeindeed wrote: When I do a search for postman vacancies here: https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_royalmail01.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all that comes up is a single job in Aberdeen. Am i missing something or is there not a single depot in England looking for staff?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
AGENDA FOR GROWTH, STABILITY AND LONG TERM SUCCESS http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 53&t=58696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;freeindeed wrote:Do you know anything else about this agreement? Is it in a specific document? Thanks.eggraidonmojo wrote:
According to an agreement between the union and RM though, there should be no temps past 2 years (UK employment law says 4 years). It is down to you/your rep to get made permanent if it has been more than 2 years. If you don't have a rep, you could contact an area rep I think...
Page 10 of the document at the link
2.7.6 Employees will not be employed on a temporary contract exceeding two years unless it has been agreed by the Employer and the Union that there are very exceptional circumstances. The position of temporary contract Employees will be kept under regular review, with a view to converting to permanent contracts where and when possible.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
freeindeed
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Can reserves get internal transfers?
Thanks TrueBlue! IF i get to two years, i will certainly be raising this with the union - cheers.