ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part time hours cut

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Urbanbadger99
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 11:32
Gender: Male

Part time hours cut

Post by Urbanbadger99 »

After some advice, I started Sep 2013 on a 27.5 hr six month contract.(postman)I've just been informed by my manager that there cutting my hours to 25 but I still need to do the same duties. He said that it's due to fall in the volume in mail. I've
been out of work for a while after being made redundant so I really need the job. It's a job and knock depot so I'm worried
if I come in at 09:15 I'll be singled out and won't get my next contract. Plus what happens when we get busy again?
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours cut

Post by koolishy67 »

Temporary contract is always risk when I on temp what they say I do I need job but after 4 years get permenant contract now I just cut off.
Urbanbadger99
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 11:32
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours cut

Post by Urbanbadger99 »

Thanks that's what I'm thinking.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours cut

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Goes without saying Badger...TALK TO YOUR REP. Managers are a bunch of lying bastards who will tell you anything if it helps to keep them under budget. For all you know, while cutting your hours he's probably giving someone else more Overtime. :no no

Part timers are always shat on in this business and relied upon to make up any slack, while at the same time being shown very little respect at all :mad There has been a recent move to increase contracted hours for part timers who are consistently putting in more hours than they're contracted for. Bear that in mind...it may help you in the future. :pray

Your Rep"Should" be able to advise you but if you've had your hours reduced, AND are still expected to carry out the same amount of work, then that smells fishy to me. Normally they'll say something like, " You don't need to prep your walk, someone else will be doing it". This is normally the default Manager Option because he should also be trying to utilise the Full Timers hours in your Office (mail is obviously decreasing on their rounds as well). Or it might be "You don't need to deliver any parcels", and he may use this to make up someone else's hours, but there should be some kind of explanation. Mail dropping off doesn't really cut it. What is he telling the Full Time Posties in your office, are they having their hours cut? Surely that's discrimination mate? :whistle Good luck in your struggle for more contracted hours. :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Urbanbadger99
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 11:32
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours cut

Post by Urbanbadger99 »

Thanks all, Plodder that's exactly what he said. My walk would be ready when I got in , I'd have less parcels. I'll
believe it when I see it ;liar . I'm gutted tell you the truth I was looking for more hours. Have spoke to my Rep
who said he'd look into it but because of my temporary contract it doesn't look promising. Only the part timers hours
have been cut as of yet.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours cut

Post by Dorset Plodder »

You said you need the job, however I'd also start looking around for something else. You'll stand more of a chance now you're "Employed". This Business is not going to get any easier. I know from bitter experience what it's like to be kept hanging on with the promise of More Hours or a Full Time Contract! ;liar

If possible get another Part Time job and then just work the hours you're contracted for. The harder you push in this situation the greater advantage RM will take of you. They know Part timers are hungry for work and they will take the piss :no no

A colleague of mine has just managed to get a Full Time 39 hour contract....It only took him 6 years FFS! :shock: However there often seems to be a "Log Jam" situation in this business and nothing seems to be looking up. Then all of a sudden something changes (normally a Revision) and they urgently need loads more Full Timers and the Office needs more Recruits! Never sees to be any logic to it! :crazy:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)