ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Threatened by customer. Options?
-
bobthepostie
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Threatened by customer. Options?
On Saturday i was physically threatened by a customer for putting a door to door through his letterbox. Customer came out started screaming he didn't want "junk mail" and from what i could make out through all the expletives aimed at me, i was more or less told i would be assaulted if i delivered mail to his house again. When i got back to the office the customer had already phone the office. Manager stated the customer was full of remorse and apologised etc but i'm not happy with this as have had no apology to myself.
Manager has said he can take me off my signed for duty if i feel threatened (care of duty he said) but I don't see why i should be moved due to this. I know i can refuse to deliver if I am concerned for my safety but I really do not want to move duty. Is there anything in the guidelines for this type of situation?
Manager has said he can take me off my signed for duty if i feel threatened (care of duty he said) but I don't see why i should be moved due to this. I know i can refuse to deliver if I am concerned for my safety but I really do not want to move duty. Is there anything in the guidelines for this type of situation?
-
blakeyboy
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
Just keep delivering it through his door.
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3280
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
give them even more extra d2ds 
-
framusjsx
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
Geez some people really need to get a life, how hard is it to put it in the friggin' bin!
-
blakeyboy
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
Post one through every day unless he writes in
to specifically stop d2d being delivered to his address
there is bugger all he can do.Dont feel threatened.
to specifically stop d2d being delivered to his address
there is bugger all he can do.Dont feel threatened.
-
bobthepostie
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
I actually thought it was going to come to blows at one point. If someone spoke to you like that on the street (outside of work) well i know what i would normally do. Guess i'm just pissed off that I could be moved if i refuse to deliver the threatening customers mail. 
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
It sounds as if the bloke’s a right dick but, that aside, anyone can refuse an item of mail if they so choose.
D2Ds are no different in this respect.
Although in theory they should officially “opt out” of D2Ds, it isn’t worth starting a war over them.
At the end of the week you’ll just have one extra set let over.
D2Ds are no different in this respect.
Although in theory they should officially “opt out” of D2Ds, it isn’t worth starting a war over them.
At the end of the week you’ll just have one extra set let over.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
This would be great advice if we were still at primary school.blakeyboy wrote:Post one through every day .
Wasn't there a thread recently about a postie getting his nose broken by an irate customer? Now if it came to light that the postie was deliberately provoking the customer (posting 1 a day isn't how D2D should be done) I don't think that would reflect well on him.
Try talking to your manager about how you feel and if necessary (if you feel your safety is at risk) refuse to deliver his mail.
Get your rep involved.
Don't start acting like a child.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
bobthepostie
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
I wouldn't provoke the customer by putting several through his door. Not in my mature. I'd have been happy with an official letter through his door warning him verbal abuse won't be tolerated and an apology from the customer. Neither appear to be forthcoming.clashcityrocker wrote:This would be great advice if we were still at primary school.blakeyboy wrote:Post one through every day .
Wasn't there a thread recently about a postie getting his nose broken by an irate customer? Now if it came to light that the postie was deliberately provoking the customer (posting 1 a day isn't how D2D should be done) I don't think that would reflect well on him.
Try talking to your manager about how you feel and if necessary (if you feel your safety is at risk) refuse to deliver his mail.
Get your rep involved.
Don't start acting like a child.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
clashcityrocker wrote:This would be great advice if we were still at primary school.blakeyboy wrote:Post one through every day .
Wasn't there a thread recently about a postie getting his nose broken by an irate customer? Now if it came to light that the postie was deliberately provoking the customer (posting 1 a day isn't how D2D should be done) I don't think that would reflect well on him.
Try talking to your manager about how you feel and if necessary (if you feel your safety is at risk) refuse to deliver his mail.
Get your rep involved.
Don't start acting like a child.
I agree with Clash, some of the advice on here recently could result in people being sacked. D2D is live mail, delivering excess or failing to deliver could land a postie with a charge of delaying mail.
If you can't offer decent advice, with links where appropriate then I'd prefer you didn't.
If posters are trying to have a joke then by all means do so - there are smilies available to help avoid confusion.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
If a dog's loose you don't need to deliver. Surely if a customer behaves in a threatening way you don't need to deliver to them non-stop. Why should you need to change you're duty. Personally I would say the customer should be forced to collect their own mail from D/O. Not sure the rules on this though.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
The manager should go and speak to the dog of the house and get assurances he'll keep his owner under control or indoors at the time the postman is due.
Seriously, get assurances from your manager that the w****r/customer has been advised that d-2-d junk IS classed as proper mail and of the procedure to opt out of it. I'd hazard a guess that the bloke was expecting a letter and all he got was d-2-d junk thus provoking his ire? This practice of 1/6 a day (if followed; we don't) is resulting in more post-rage incidents when customers get the d-2-d trash with NO accompanying addressed mail. This is why we prefer to deliver to only addresses that have post. It's more efficient and prevents possible annoyance.
I'd also guess that he will be quite contrite when he sees you again, he obviously can't be too bad if he rang up and apologized to the DIM afterwards. When he does speak to you, confirm his right to opt-out of the junk leaflets.
Seriously, get assurances from your manager that the w****r/customer has been advised that d-2-d junk IS classed as proper mail and of the procedure to opt out of it. I'd hazard a guess that the bloke was expecting a letter and all he got was d-2-d junk thus provoking his ire? This practice of 1/6 a day (if followed; we don't) is resulting in more post-rage incidents when customers get the d-2-d trash with NO accompanying addressed mail. This is why we prefer to deliver to only addresses that have post. It's more efficient and prevents possible annoyance.
I'd also guess that he will be quite contrite when he sees you again, he obviously can't be too bad if he rang up and apologized to the DIM afterwards. When he does speak to you, confirm his right to opt-out of the junk leaflets.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
Print the last page of this document and post it next time. Disclaimer: I don't know if this is acceptable practice but it's certainly sensible.
http://www.stopjunkmail.org.uk/guide/to ... r-form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.stopjunkmail.org.uk/guide/to ... r-form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
blakeyboy wrote:Just keep delivering it through his door.
blakeyboy wrote:Post one through every day unless he writes in
to specifically stop d2d being delivered to his address
there is bugger all he can do.Dont feel threatened.
hans solo wrote:give them even more extra d2ds
Stupid replies
If you feel there is a real threat then get your rep involved and force the dom to suspend the delivery.
I could be you caught him on a bad day. I agree with the above and I think I would just not deliver d2d there in future. No need to tell anyone.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
blakeyboy
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened by customer. Options?
I take it people can't take a joke on this site.If the
guy threatens you just report him to the law or refuse
to deliver to his address.Unless he officially opts out of
receiving D2d just keep delivering it!
guy threatens you just report him to the law or refuse
to deliver to his address.Unless he officially opts out of
receiving D2d just keep delivering it!