ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
overtime question
-
Daaav
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 05 Aug 2012, 23:58
- Gender: Male
overtime question
Last week on Thursday and Friday I worked an hour extra on both days and signed out both days expecting the overtime to be paid so obviously this Thursday when I got my paycheck it was missing so I asked my manager if he had got note of my overtime and he said oh no sorry and then told him I was wanting two hours and he asked me was I over my weekly hours which confused me because I'm full time now years and I've never heard of this yet
He is trying to tell me that if I work my full 39 hours I'd get paid the overtime but because he has seen me sign out on perhaps a Tuesday an hour before my finish time (rarely happens) then that is why I'm not getting it.... Or it all equals itself out - is this right or??
I can't check my weekly hours because I don't really keep track but from now on I'll learn to keep a record of my hours
He is trying to tell me that if I work my full 39 hours I'd get paid the overtime but because he has seen me sign out on perhaps a Tuesday an hour before my finish time (rarely happens) then that is why I'm not getting it.... Or it all equals itself out - is this right or??
I can't check my weekly hours because I don't really keep track but from now on I'll learn to keep a record of my hours
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
No it is not right. There is no national agreement that supports Royal Mail banking hours. There may possibly be a local agreement that supports this, but I doubt it. It is for your manager to provide sufficient work for you to complete your contracted hours on a daily basis. If there is insufficient work however, this does not entitle you to go home unless your manager has sanctioned this. You should return to the delivery unit and then it is up to the manager if he sends you home. You are contracted to work x hours per day.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2222
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: overtime question
This is happening to everyone in our office ,overtime being cut from our payslips .been happening for months now .
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
don,t do the ot thenChelseablue wrote:This is happening to everyone in our office ,overtime being cut from our payslips .been happening for months now .
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
Last Thursday and Friday, any OPG doing overtime was entitle to SA rate overtime, this was a national agreement to get the Sun tabloids delivered to every address over two days.
-
Daaav
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 05 Aug 2012, 23:58
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
Thank you for the replies, so would I just have to ask my manager to provide copies of these local agreements?
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2222
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: overtime question
Aiden o t as in just giving over , say 1 or 2 hours a week. So cheers for the unhelpful answer
-
newtimes
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
Been told we are still really on job and finish, if you finish early one day that time will be used to cancel out time worked over on an other day.
Its gone very quiet in the office I am working out off, fewer people will cover on their days off, staff turn over is increasing, can see long term sick leave happening with many staff. The manager is beginning to think which side is going to give him the most grief, his line manager or the front line staff, he has already caved in to stopping some lapsing and going out to deliver mail too.
Its gone very quiet in the office I am working out off, fewer people will cover on their days off, staff turn over is increasing, can see long term sick leave happening with many staff. The manager is beginning to think which side is going to give him the most grief, his line manager or the front line staff, he has already caved in to stopping some lapsing and going out to deliver mail too.
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
Re: overtime question
am I alone in having a problem with people finishing early and happily going home ( without asking if there is extra work to take them up to their hours) and then demanding overtime for working over on other days
I'm sorry but my contract says 39 hours per week - I don't claim overtime until I have worked it! ( you can call me what you like)
Wise up people - hours are being slashed left right and center
If you finish early go back and work to your time then if you go over later in the week you can claim overtime ( or refuse it)
You are paid for your hours whatever they be just accept you have to work them before being paid overtime
you are making this easy for them
I'm sorry but my contract says 39 hours per week - I don't claim overtime until I have worked it! ( you can call me what you like)
Wise up people - hours are being slashed left right and center
If you finish early go back and work to your time then if you go over later in the week you can claim overtime ( or refuse it)
You are paid for your hours whatever they be just accept you have to work them before being paid overtime
you are making this easy for them
-
Daaav
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 05 Aug 2012, 23:58
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
If I return to the office and all the other duties are back and home too and the office is always clear (so no more work available) then I will go home, on the off chance the office isn't clear I'll go out with parcels and do them I don't have a gripe with that because yes I am paid until my time and I'll easily stay.
I'll ask my manager this morning for a copy of this local agreement
I'll ask my manager this morning for a copy of this local agreement
-
PhilthyPhil
- Posts: 1155
- Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15
Re: overtime question
You said you signed out an hour late on both days... did you actually sign an overtime sheet as well? Overtime is not paid based on the signing on sheets.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
Wouldn't surprise me. I didn't get told how to claim overtime for about my first month. Another postie had to show us where they hide...ahem keep the sheet.PhilthyPhil wrote:You said you signed out an hour late on both days... did you actually sign an overtime sheet as well? Overtime is not paid based on the signing on sheets.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
All well and good but the problem is there are days when extra work is not available, a good manager would know if there was work to be done and would inform the relevant office of what was expected for that day before the staff left for delivery. Unfortunately these are few and far between, however they take great joy in trying to implement a system that has no agreement nationally and certainly no legal basis either. How can you expect someone to organise their daily lives and circumstances if they do not know from one day to the next what their hours will be. It is no good quoting 39 hours a week when if you take your statement into consideration a person may be given work 5 hours one day and then be expected to work 12 hours the following day. How does this fit in with a fair work/social basis. How can someone who has to collect school schildren be expected to work on your basis. The stark facts are that Royal Mail should be making sure you have sufficient work to cover your duty hours on a daily basis. If they are unable to do this they have two choices. Send you home and pay you for the time you have been contracted to work, or ask you to remain at the delivery office until your duty time expires (just as someone working in a shop or office would have to). What they are not entitled to do is roll over any non worked time to another day, unless someone like yourself is happy to work on this basis of banking hours. Some are, but there are many that are not able to do so.feduppostie wrote:am I alone in having a problem with people finishing early and happily going home ( without asking if there is extra work to take them up to their hours) and then demanding overtime for working over on other days
I'm sorry but my contract says 39 hours per week - I don't claim overtime until I have worked it! ( you can call me what you like)
Wise up people - hours are being slashed left right and center
If you finish early go back and work to your time then if you go over later in the week you can claim overtime ( or refuse it)
You are paid for your hours whatever they be just accept you have to work them before being paid overtime
you are making this easy for them
-
newtimes
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
Very well put, we are now expected to "bank" hours.Lincox wrote:All well and good but the problem is there are days when extra work is not available, a good manager would know if there was work to be done and would inform the relevant office of what was expected for that day before the staff left for delivery. Unfortunately these are few and far between, however they take great joy in trying to implement a system that has no agreement nationally and certainly no legal basis either. How can you expect someone to organise their daily lives and circumstances if they do not know from one day to the next what their hours will be. It is no good quoting 39 hours a week when if you take your statement into consideration a person may be given work 5 hours one day and then be expected to work 12 hours the following day. How does this fit in with a fair work/social basis. How can someone who has to collect school schildren be expected to work on your basis. The stark facts are that Royal Mail should be making sure you have sufficient work to cover your duty hours on a daily basis. If they are unable to do this they have two choices. Send you home and pay you for the time you have been contracted to work, or ask you to remain at the delivery office until your duty time expires (just as someone working in a shop or office would have to). What they are not entitled to do is roll over any non worked time to another day, unless someone like yourself is happy to work on this basis of banking hours. Some are, but there are many that are not able to do so.feduppostie wrote:am I alone in having a problem with people finishing early and happily going home ( without asking if there is extra work to take them up to their hours) and then demanding overtime for working over on other days
I'm sorry but my contract says 39 hours per week - I don't claim overtime until I have worked it! ( you can call me what you like)
Wise up people - hours are being slashed left right and center
If you finish early go back and work to your time then if you go over later in the week you can claim overtime ( or refuse it)
You are paid for your hours whatever they be just accept you have to work them before being paid overtime
you are making this easy for them
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: overtime question
My last company introduced banked hours and it was a disaster. You wouldn't believe how much management abused it. Lets hope union stay strong on that issue.