So at long last I can reveal that lovejoy is..... Take care all x
An Open Letter to CWU Members
With just a few weeks left in the job, I wanted to write to you and say goodbye.
As many of you will now know, I have taken the decision to leave Royal Mail and the CWU to work on a number of projects outside of the business. It has been one of the hardest decisions of my life. I have been a Postal Worker since school, rising up through the CWU ranks and devoting myself to various roles within the Union.
I take away some amazing memories of my time with Royal Mail. My early days on the handstamping with Deano, Sam, Becky, Connie, Bungs, Burty, Pat, Ferret, Fordy, The Lord, Greeners, the Lord and many, many others were amongst my favourites times. Paid £350 a week, living at home and out every weekend. You have to grow up though, don’t you?!
Becoming a CWU Official was the best decision that I ever made. It allowed me to put my overactive mind to use and harnessed all of my strengths. Holding posts as the youngest ever Area Representative and the youngest ever Divisional Representative are achievements I am very proud of.
Together, we changed the Plymouth and East Cornwall Branch forever. From a Branch that had little impact nationally we became renowned, driving policy, challenging both Royal Mail and CWU HQ and interacting with our members in a way that was ahead of its time. My time as Area Processing Representative was the best days of my time in the CWU. I felt at times as if I held the whole Mail Centre in my hand and can recall dozens of occasions when management quivered at our collective strength.
As Divisional Representative you see so many people that it is hard to have such a personal affinity. The special relationship that I have enjoyed in many units will remain with me always. The Plymouth offices, St Austell, Truro, all the other Cornwall units, Bridgwater, South Wales and many other areas where I have led and won disputes for the CWU. I remember all of the individuals that I have represented. I hope some of you remember those meetings fondly.
Sometimes as a CWU Official you have to deal with some amazingly tense situations with a lot at risk. A sense of humour is a must. I have to thanks Andy Nash and Les Evans, my Divisional colleagues for their support, all the other Divisional Reps, all SW/SW Branches and of course CWU HQ. It is impossible though to do our job and not develop some really special friendships. Dai Thomas, Paul Burckett, Paul Wotton, Dave Wilshire, Dave Chapple, Brian Eddy, Steve Lance, Chris Brewer, Mark Baulch and Bob Gibson I consider my friends in life as well as work.
Wherever I have been in the Union I have always tried to put my own Branch first. Speaking, acting and standing on behalf of Plymouth and East Cornwall. Our Branch is the best Branch in the Country, without any shadow of a doubt. In Ralph Ferrett we have a rising star of the CWU as Branch Secretary, Andrew Hatch will hold high Industrial Office in the CWU one day (if he can cheer up), Danny Cronin is an institution, Paul Taylor is the best possible representative for Plymouth Mail Centre (and one day he may take something seriously), Tony Bouch is the finest and hardest working CWU official at Headquarters and of course there is Doug Lillicrap. To survive as long as Doug has, under the pressure that we are put under is a huge testament to the job he has done. Johnsy, Simon, Brad, Carts, Mike Kennedy and all of our local reps give everything for the members.
There are literally hundreds of memories of my time as a Union Official so I will only share a few…
• Sleeping on the picket line in defiance
• The mass picket lines of 100plus people in Plymouth
• The Double Decker Bus that blocked the picket line in Bridgwater
• Julians Picket line burgers in St Austell
• The Unnofficial Walkout at West Park (which one I hear you ask) over the dismissal of my good friend Alastair Sinclair. That is a day and a feeling that will live with me forever
• The hundreds of members meetings that I addressed. I always felt at my best then.
It’s been an experience. I think I have made a difference. I think I have left my mark. You have certainly left your mark on me.
My last message is that the Union lives on and always will. It will continue to improve your working lives. It will continue to make a difference. It doesn’t matter what Dave Ward does, or the Divisional Rep does or the Branch does. This is your Union. You shape and drive it into what you want it to be.
We could and should have fought a better campaign against privatisation. I do not think that we engaged our members and the public anywhere near enough. We were up against the weakest set of politicians in history and we should have taken the situation by the throat. It felt like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Our continued alliance with a Labour Party that has betrayed working people is an insult to postal workers who whose levies took many of those people into parliament.
My view is that the CWU is at a crossroads. In one direction is the route to a merger with a giant Union and heading towards being a staff direction. The other route is to fight. To work with Royal Mail when they are right but to challenge, hassle and stand up to them at every single juncture. I am staying in the CWU as a retired member. That is the Union that I want to belong to.
The Branch has very kindly offered to host a leaving party for me on Saturday 26th July (7:30pm) at the Treasury Bar in Plymouth. Hopefully I will see some of you there.
Thank you for everything. CWU Always. That young, cocky lad did OK.
Chris Webb
Divisional Representative SW/SW
OPG Plymouth Mail Centre
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Farewell
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Farewell
Way to go! I hope you are as successful in the new project as in the CWU position. 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Farewell
You'll be sorely missed in the Union Chris, but I hope you enjoy the new challenge and look back at us, the membership, with concerned fondness. 
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Farewell
That's a great final post as a RM worker and I hope you will pop back from time to time.
I agree with your closing thoughts on the future of the CWU.
I wish you every success in your new venture, well life really.
I agree with your closing thoughts on the future of the CWU.
I wish you every success in your new venture, well life really.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
borders
- Posts: 1304
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 09:10
Re: Farewell
good luck in your new venture and many thanks for all your work in the CWU and for the members.
"why should it just be the bankers, politicians and the idle rich who get all the best things ? we demand a standard of living for our members that enables them to share in the fine wines and times that the likes of Cameron and his Eton buddies take for granted " - the late great Bob Crow RIP.
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Farewell
Best Wishes to you for the future, and thanks for being a Rep. Hope you keep in touch.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32787
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Farewell
Up the Addicks!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Re: Farewell
All the best Chris in your new venture, and a big Thank You ! 
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Farewell
So many answers, so little time.So at long last I can reveal that lovejoy is.....
Good luck with the future Chris, I don't think the union is at a crossroads so much as half way down a dead end road to nowhere but it isn't too late to slam the brakes on and shove it into reverse. It's been a blast and I don't think i'll be long behind you. I have a cunning plan.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share