ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Special Leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
james101red
Posts: 4
Joined: 22 Jun 2014, 03:56
Gender: Male

Special Leave

Post by james101red »

Hi guys

I am new to this site, I have been a postman for about 14 years and recently I have applied to join my local fire station as a on-call fireman. I have organised my on call shifts around my delivery so I am only on call after I finish my round. This was discussed with my manager and agreed.
I have to go on a first training course with the fire service for 2 weeks, with all the pressure my manager is under from head office I think he might get funny if I ask for these weeks off. I am willing to use my holiday or take un-paid leave but I am wondering if anyone knows if I can ask for special leave if he refuses.

Can anyone give me some advice :thumbup
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

He is also the one who decides if your special leave request is refused as we'll unfortunately

Have you and your manager discussed and agreed to fact you may not be able to attend your office on some days and that you may not be able to advise him of this prior to doing so?
james101red
Posts: 4
Joined: 22 Jun 2014, 03:56
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave

Post by james101red »

I have discussed with him that I won't be on call while working for Royal Mail. So it's has decision at the end of the day, apart from me trying to swap holiday with people.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

james101red wrote:I have discussed with him that I won't be on call while working for Royal Mail. So it's has decision at the end of the day, apart from me trying to swap holiday with people.

You may not be on call but you may still be at incidents at start of shift, as for the training yeah it is his decision unfortunately
james101red
Posts: 4
Joined: 22 Jun 2014, 03:56
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave

Post by james101red »

Could I apply for a career break while I complete all my training?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

james101red wrote:Could I apply for a career break while I complete all my training?

Not for only a couple of weeks and guess who would approve it anyway and also not guaranteed a job back in your own office if you did
james101red
Posts: 4
Joined: 22 Jun 2014, 03:56
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave

Post by james101red »

Ok thanks looks like I will have to try and get on my bosses good side :cool
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Special Leave

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

james101red wrote:Ok thanks looks like I will have to try and get on my bosses good side :cool
Best way to do that would be to offer to do 1st week as annual leave and second as special shows compromise on your part and saves him a bit of money with it