ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Sick absence into annual leave
-
Tank
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Sick absence into annual leave
Ive gone off today with a trapped nerve, I'm off next two weeks on annual leave, how would it work if I'm ok to return to work Monday? Ring Saturday and say I will be fit to return Monday even though I'm on annual? Or can the manager count it as sick as I haven't returned to work? Not sure with these lot! Thanks
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Sick absence into annual leave
ring saturday and say today will be my last day off sickTank wrote:Ive gone off today with a trapped nerve, I'm off next two weeks on annual leave, how would it work if I'm ok to return to work Monday? Ring Saturday and say I will be fit to return Monday even though I'm on annual? Or can the manager count it as sick as I haven't returned to work? Not sure with these lot! Thanks
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick absence into annual leave
Tank wrote:Ive gone off today with a trapped nerve, I'm off next two weeks on annual leave, how would it work if I'm ok to return to work Monday? Ring Saturday and say I will be fit to return Monday even though I'm on annual? Or can the manager count it as sick as I haven't returned to work? Not sure with these lot! Thanks
Check the rules - I wouldn't classify leave and sickness the same. Can the leave be rebooked if off sick?
-
dblad
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick absence into annual leave
Stay off sick, that way you get your leave back, you can't take leave when your ill. It happened to me a couple of years ago and I got my leave back.
-
wandle
- Posts: 944
- Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 17:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick absence into annual leave
True. But it could come at a heavy cost. If Tank phoned in sick yesterday, and stays sick until his two weeks' leave has passed, by the time he returns to work on Monday 7th July, he'll have had an absence of 20 days. Enough to take him onto Stage 1, even if he has a clean record before this absence. If he's already on the procedure, however, trying to 'win back' some annual leave could cost him his job! Then he'll have as much time off as he wants, to contemplate the foolishness of trying to 'pull a fast one'dblad wrote:Stay off sick, that way you get your leave back....
-
woofwoof
- Posts: 1516
- Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 16:23
- Gender: Male
- Location: stinky land
Re: Sick absence into annual leave
Taking Leave
Employees may not attend the office whilst on annual or other leave. This means that employees may not attend the office to work overtime or Scheduled Attendance.
Annual leave may not be taken as an alternative to sick leave (except where it runs concurrently with it in the case of extremely long absences in order to satisfy legal requirements). Employees who have been off sick must not start annual leave unless they have recovered, and should notify the office of their recovery before starting any annual leave. Annual leave cannot be recorded as sick leave if an employee falls sick during it, unless a medical certificate is produced.
Employees may not attend the office whilst on annual or other leave. This means that employees may not attend the office to work overtime or Scheduled Attendance.
Annual leave may not be taken as an alternative to sick leave (except where it runs concurrently with it in the case of extremely long absences in order to satisfy legal requirements). Employees who have been off sick must not start annual leave unless they have recovered, and should notify the office of their recovery before starting any annual leave. Annual leave cannot be recorded as sick leave if an employee falls sick during it, unless a medical certificate is produced.
-
Tank
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick absence into annual leave
Thanks for the replies, gonna see how I am Friday and probably go in Saturday on light duties if possible.