ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
advice on returning to work
-
mrspostie1
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 18 Oct 2010, 13:59
- Gender: Female
advice on returning to work
I'm on maternity leave and I've asked for flexible hours. At the moment I'm on 32 hour contract and been with the company 8 years
They said they can only offer me a full time role ( really not flexible)
So basically am I left with having to resign and will I lose my shares, seems unfair
They said they can only offer me a full time role ( really not flexible)
So basically am I left with having to resign and will I lose my shares, seems unfair
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: advice on returning to work
Can only offer you full time work, that's gotta be a first.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: advice on returning to work
Contact the Unions Equalities department and CAB for advice. I don't know the ins and out of law but I do know that a request for Flexibile working has to considered properley, they can't just dismiss it because its too difficult. Did you ask in writing, and did the reply in writing ?
As to offering only a FT position then thats against the BT2010 deal which states that employees will not be forced to reduce or increase their hours. There may also be a case for constructive dismissal, but those kind of cases need professional advice and guidance hence my suggestion to contact Citizens Advice.
As to offering only a FT position then thats against the BT2010 deal which states that employees will not be forced to reduce or increase their hours. There may also be a case for constructive dismissal, but those kind of cases need professional advice and guidance hence my suggestion to contact Citizens Advice.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
mrspostie1
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 18 Oct 2010, 13:59
- Gender: Female
Re: advice on returning to work
It's just typical before I got pregnant I wanted full time
-
mrspostie1
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 18 Oct 2010, 13:59
- Gender: Female
Re: advice on returning to work
This was over the phone . It's taken them 2 months to tell me this and it's getting near my return date
I will send a letter in as ive found a template and see how they respond
Oh also unfortunately I come put of the union as my pay went down my pay us on nothing now
Thanks all
I will send a letter in as ive found a template and see how they respond
Oh also unfortunately I come put of the union as my pay went down my pay us on nothing now
Thanks all
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: advice on returning to work
Rejoin today if you have nothing in writing,then tomorrow request it in writing,see cab asap,keep a big box file ready for the paperwork though.
IMHO no parent should be in this position.
Ask about job share etc,but definetly contact citizens advice
They will know more.
Good luck.

IMHO no parent should be in this position.
Ask about job share etc,but definetly contact citizens advice
They will know more.
Good luck.
I won
-
mrspostie1
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 18 Oct 2010, 13:59
- Gender: Female
Re: advice on returning to work
Thank u
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: advice on returning to work
Firstly your shares are safe because if you decide to leave the business it is not the result of disciplinary reasons or gross misconduct which would have an effect on your shares allocation.
Returning to work after ordinary maternity leave you are entitled to return to the business as if you had never left in other words same contracted hours, same job, same level of pay which means their only offer of full time hours is breaching the maternity leave conditions and you need to inform your union rep.
Your request for flexible working has to be submitted in writing and you have a legal right to request this and your employer has a legal right to give your request serious consideration and to give you a written reply on how their decision was reached. Unfortunately they are not bound by law to grant your request and can defend this by the normal reply of " operational needs".
If you know of other colleagues in a similar situation who have been approved for flexible working then if your request is denied then you can use them as comparators and may have a discrimination case.
Returning to work after ordinary maternity leave you are entitled to return to the business as if you had never left in other words same contracted hours, same job, same level of pay which means their only offer of full time hours is breaching the maternity leave conditions and you need to inform your union rep.
Your request for flexible working has to be submitted in writing and you have a legal right to request this and your employer has a legal right to give your request serious consideration and to give you a written reply on how their decision was reached. Unfortunately they are not bound by law to grant your request and can defend this by the normal reply of " operational needs".
If you know of other colleagues in a similar situation who have been approved for flexible working then if your request is denied then you can use them as comparators and may have a discrimination case.
-
mrspostie1
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 18 Oct 2010, 13:59
- Gender: Female
Re: advice on returning to work
Ok thank you for your information
im going to put it in writing and see what reply I get
im going to put it in writing and see what reply I get
-
oscar
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 07 Aug 2007, 18:41
- Location: bonnie scotland
Re: advice on returning to work
You lose shares if you resign
YOU CAN KILL THE PROTESTER....BUT YOU CANT KILL THE PROTEST
CARLO GIULIANI R.I.P
CARLO GIULIANI R.I.P
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: advice on returning to work
oscar wrote:You lose shares if you resign
You MAY lose not WILL lose royal mail employee free shares if you resign.
-
oscar
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 07 Aug 2007, 18:41
- Location: bonnie scotland
Re: advice on returning to work
he shares when privatised? You lose them...employee shares are worth nowt
YOU CAN KILL THE PROTESTER....BUT YOU CANT KILL THE PROTEST
CARLO GIULIANI R.I.P
CARLO GIULIANI R.I.P
-
harri321
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 15:18
- Gender: Male
Re: advice on returning to work
i resigned on good terms worked my notice but still lost my shares