ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice on Weymouth

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cobberwebb
Posts: 62
Joined: 25 Sep 2013, 15:49
Gender: Male

Advice on Weymouth

Post by cobberwebb »

Hello all,
I'm transferring to Weymouth very soon and I will be staying with a friend in Yeovil until I find a place of my own in Weymouth. Just need some info on areas to avoid, if any, when searching for a place to rent in Weymouth. What's the DO/managers like down there. I can't wait to get out of the Midlands! :nana :nana :wave :wave
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32787
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Advice on Weymouth

Post by POSTMAN »

PM's only about management for safeties sake.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Advice on Weymouth

Post by Budfrog »

Welcome to Weymouth cobberwebb, been here around 1 year having moved down from S.Beds (worked in London).

Can't speak for the local DO as I do not work there, chat to my delivery postman every now and again and from what he has said the office suffers from the same problems as many other DOs in terms of workload issues and managerial 'style'.

As far as the area itself is concerned when I was looking for a house I was simply told to steer clear of the area around the train station and I believe that accommodation in the town centre can be quite noisy in the holiday season. The best thing you can do is come down for a weekend and have a look around but don't get too hung up on being close to the centre of town as the transport links here are pretty decent and the place has loads of dedicated cycle tracks. If I were to move again it would probably be either to the Dorchester Rd or the Sandsfoot Castle area.

The quality of life is pretty decent in Dorset with lots of things going on particularly in the summer - Good Luck !!
Last edited by Budfrog on 11 Jun 2014, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
cobberwebb
Posts: 62
Joined: 25 Sep 2013, 15:49
Gender: Male

Re: Advice on Weymouth

Post by cobberwebb »

Thanks Bud.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Advice on Weymouth

Post by Bahia Feliz »

How did you get a transfer? Is it full time hours?
Colleague of mine was in Weymouth at easter sorting out his transfer when he got told by the Weymouth dom that RM had blocked all transfers!!
His house was sold and everything!
cobberwebb
Posts: 62
Joined: 25 Sep 2013, 15:49
Gender: Male

Re: Advice on Weymouth

Post by cobberwebb »

It was advertised on the website (internal not public) so I applied, I was checking the web site everyday. I'm going from a 32 hour contract down to 23.5. I spoke to the Weymouth manager back in late March and the job showed up on 15th May.
Last edited by cobberwebb on 12 Jun 2014, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Advice on Weymouth

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Cheers for that info,I'll tell my mate!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Advice on Weymouth

Post by krussel »

Had a nice weeks holiday there a few years back. Nice view.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Advice on Weymouth

Post by Jpro747 »

Very nice fish and chips :thumbup